Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

plans after uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
just wandering, what are everyones plans (for those who are currently at uni) after they finish their course?

ie. what job you want to go into, plan on going travelling or year out etc :)

to answer my own question - im planning on going on a placement to india and sri lanka for a year after i finish, and THEN im hoping to get involved in films :D going to go live in my dads' house in the states (san fransisco) cuz i might have better luck there!!

im hoping to work my way up until i get to a good position like set designer or production designer - which will most likely take a while!!

im just curious as to what everyone else wants to do!!! :yes:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well i'm in my 2nd year at uni studying criminology and social policy.

not really sure what i want to do after, but am currently waiting on crb checks and will be doing some volunteering work with young offenders and the likes. so i'll see whether i like that.

other than that, i don't have a clue!
    I graduate this year and Im moving back home (to save money) and looking for a job. Really want to get something like a marketing assistant job or something to do with the planning side of visual merchandising...difficult though as they all ask for a years experience!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I graduate in 3 months and hopefully I shall have a job. Am applying now :D
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i graduate this year too then im off to bristol to do my legal practice course
    I'm not quite sure what I want to do yet after uni. I have three options open to me. I can either go travelling for a year, get a job or do my LPC course. I keep changing my mind.
    Finish in 3 months, plans to get a job and move out of home and find myself a flat to share with a mate around the outskirts of London I think. Might have a job lined up too, fingers crossed with that.

Just have to get through the next couple of weeks (coursework deadlines)...
    I'm only a first year but I know for certain I'm doing a years travelling after uni. Need to take a break, I mean you can't be working from 4-65 now can you?
    I have no idea what I'm gonna do when I graduate, it depends a lot on how the next two/three years goes in terms of what grades I'm getting, and how my summer job is going. Whether I suck it up and go be an engineer for water-aid or oxfam, or if I get a "real job" with bentley or BAE systems.
    Just out of interest, for those of u already applying for jobs, what sort of jobs are they? Cause I feel like I should be applying now as well but they all want people for now, not for 3 months time...?
    well i'm in my 2nd year at uni studying criminology and social policy.

What's this like please?
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i have the pleasure of going to do a course that will set me back £8000 in course fees for just 9 months work and then £195 in law society fees! where they think i will find this money im not too sure! it will be worth it in the end though! :D
    Sofie wrote:
    What's this like please?

Not looked upon too highly by employers & boring as fuck.
    I shall either work in City Hospital for a bit or some small biotech firm over here, save some money and then move over to the States because of the whole citizenship renewal thing they've implemented. I'll gain some experience working in larger companies, then come back here looking for management jobs...ish
    Spliffie wrote:
    Not looked upon too highly by employers & boring as fuck.

excuse me?
    I have graduated and I have no idea what the hell I wanna do.

just trying to find work at the mo.
    The US seems a cool place to go but its a bugger dealing with visas and such over there.
    excuse me?

I wouldn't advise people take it except as an easily blaggable filler, that's all. It's dull and unless you're specifically wanting sociological-related work, employers don't rate it.
    i finish in a few months and i'm going to move back home, get a job and save money so that i can go off travelling in january 07.
    Where do you wanna go?
    i havent thought that far ahead.. i have family in new york and australia but i'd also like to see china and south america.
    Spliffie wrote:
    I wouldn't advise people take it except as an easily blaggable filler, that's all. It's dull and unless you're specifically wanting sociological-related work, employers don't rate it.

what makes you say this, did you study it??

i'm interested in probation/youth rehabilitation/probation work so actually it'll be very useful.
    need a travel buddy lipsy?? lol ;)
    I graduate this year and am going to stay in the city where I'm at Uni, renting a flat with my boyfriend! I'm hoping to get a job in HR, I did want to do a Masters but I can't afford it.
    I want to go travelling....but feel like I can't really justify having another year out since I've spent the last year in France. I don't know, we'll see.......
    *hellie* wrote:
    I graduate this year and am going to stay in the city where I'm at Uni, renting a flat with my boyfriend! I'm hoping to get a job in HR, I did want to do a Masters but I can't afford it.

do you have to fund your own fees/rent etc when you do a masters? as in do they do a student loan?
    Tates wrote:
    I want to go travelling....but feel like I can't really justify having another year out since I've spent the last year in France. I don't know, we'll see.......
    don't be silly!!

i spent my 3rd year in france too.. what do you mean you can't justify it? the year out was compulsory for the course and it was a very valuable experience. you have plenty of time to get on the corporate ladder, you might not have another chance in your life to go and see the world.

also, ive noticed on graduate application forms that they like people who have travelled for an extensive period and who have done a year abroad.
    Do they really like people that have travelled or lived aborad??

isn't it seen as a dosser student type thing?
    no i wouldn't think they'd think it was a 'dosser' thing at all. quite a number of people do it nowadays as generally you've been in education from the age of 4/5 till 21/22 (ish) and so it's nice to have a break before you enter the big wide world. going travelling will enable you to meet people from all sorts of different backgrounds, see things you've never seen and may never see again and will broaden your horizons. you'll also learn about new languages/cultures.
    \
    the quick answer to this is that there are no student loans. you may be able to get a bank loan, but probably not if the subject area of the Master's is something that doesn't lead to an obviously lucrative career - so for example, I did my Master's in Political Philosophy, and I'm pretty certain no bank would have lent me the money to do that.

there are a few scholarships available for postgraduate study for good students - I got a scholarship for my Master's and I now have one for my PhD, which pays my fees and gives me a stipend to live on which is the equivalent of a graduate starting salary and is not considered income for tax purposes. Fees for home students are about £3000 a year for full time study, and when you add on living costs for the year it's probably going to cost about £10,000 minimum to do a Master's, so it's probably only worth it if you think it's likely to give you a real advantage later on in your career.

oh right, okay cheers! was just interested out of curiosity.

i won't be doing a masters, doubt i'll get a 2:1... :lol:
    True Lucifer, but the key is in what you said, quite a number of people do it, and thats all covered by media and such and its genearlly seen as a way to get laid, get pissed and put off deciding on a career.

In some circles anyway.