Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Please help me!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was stuck behind a car going home today at 20mph, once clear i overtook but it was in a 30mph zone and i think i was doing just over 30. A police van pulled out of a nearby junction but saw me and pulled over, they did not indicate to me to pull over but i am worried about getting fined. They probably saw my liscence plate but don't think they had camera, can i still be caught out this way or does there have to be evidence on camera? Any help would be appreciated as i am worried sick!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If it wasn't a camera van and they didn't pull you over, I wouldn't worry about it. There's nowt you can do now anyway.

Even the police will understand that idiots who drive at 20 will be overtaken, and as long as you didn't do it recklessly, you've done nothing wrong.
    I do not understand your situation.
    why were you overtaking in a 30 anyway?!
    so basically you think they may have seen you speeding? or am i missing the point? if you were, you'll get a letter soon enough.
    RE Pleas Help Me

Hi ta for replying everyone. I lost patience with guy in front as he was doing 20 mph, was in a foul mood and arguing with boyfriend so once road was clear i passed him, Although it is a 30 road it is not a built up area and roads are wide. Basically i was annoyed at myself as i have NEVER done anything like this and i know there is no excuse for it as i have had it done to me even if im doing 30 and i usually tut at them. I was concerned about getting fined but the police did not follow me and pretty sure not camera van. Although they did stop, to get a look at plate i suspect, can you be prosecuted this way or do you jave to be caught on camera? Any more advice would be appreciated! :banghead:
    Dont worry about it, Im sure youll be fine. If they get your plate then two officers can say you were speeding and you can be issued with a fixed penalty, but I doubt it will come to that.
    Big Mistake!

Hi, thanks for all your help. Pretty sure there were two officers in van, does this mean i will get fine? Also, does fixed penalty mean you will also get points?
    Yea, if caught speeding its a fixed penalty of so much money and three points. You can appeal though, but then they can fine you up to £1000. Silly thing. I'm sure you'll be alright though. Maybe you'll be unlucky. Sometimes I've been going a tad over the speed limit but it comes down to the mood of the police officer. Id have said if they wanted to take it up they would have pulled you not stopped.

eta: and you have to be some margin over the speed limit too, unless they have proper equipment.
    Toots13 wrote:
    Hi ta for replying everyone. I lost patience with guy in front as he was doing 20 mph, was in a foul mood and arguing with boyfriend so once road was clear i passed him, Although it is a 30 road it is not a built up area and roads are wide. Basically i was annoyed at myself as i have NEVER done anything like this and i know there is no excuse for it as i have had it done to me even if im doing 30 and i usually tut at them. I was concerned about getting fined but the police did not follow me and pretty sure not camera van. Although they did stop, to get a look at plate i suspect, can you be prosecuted this way or do you jave to be caught on camera? Any more advice would be appreciated! :banghead:

Don't worry about it. Worth making a note of the exact details, should anything come through the post in the next couple of weeks.

They'll not care. Don't worry about it. So long as the overtake was in a safe and sensible place - no junctions nearby(definition of nearby depends on the exact conditions, location, etc), no parked cars, pedestrian crossings, etc - then you should be fine.

Lots of information is available here.
    why were you overtaking in a 30 anyway?!

Because someone was going too slow? ;)
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    seriously dont worry about it. im sure its 10% over the speed limit you get done for, and therefore if you were going just over 30, its not going to have been more than 33 mph. there is nothing you can do now, you'll just have to sit tight, but i doubt very much you will have any problems. if you do, you will get a small fine, and 3 points. its not the end of the world.

Because someone was going too slow? ;)

yes, so i saw. i just wouldn't think over taking in a 30 would be necessary. depends on the area she was in etc.
    There is nothing wrong with overtaking in a 30 so long as the move is completed safely.

If the police vehicle had a camera fitted, it is possible they got an accurate fix of your speed. It is unlikely though, unless they were following you for some distance beforehand.

If you have been caught speeding, and there is proof, the police will write to you telling you what to do. Usually you either accept a £60 fine and three penalty points on your licence, or if you do not agree you were speeding you take the matter to the magistrate's court. Bear in mind that if you take it to court you will have to pay your own legal fees, as low-level motoring offences do not attract legal fees assistance.
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    im sure its 10% over the speed limit you get done for,

Ok, This 10% thing is a joke. I saw video footage on some late night cops type of program on sky, they were booking people for going 1mph over the speed limit.

I'm just like Toots13, If I were going just to the other side of the 30mph line on the speedo, I think shit, I just passed a camera. Then have problems sleeping for a week (I'm so lame).

If its was a van pulling out of a junction, they were probably on their way to the station, and not looking to pull over someone over-taking.

Bascically, try not to worry. Even if you do get a fine, its just some points and a little fine. The world is imperfect, try not to get hung up on little details.
    phishfood wrote:
    Ok, This 10% thing is a joke. I saw video footage on some late night cops type of program on sky, they were booking people for going 1mph over the speed limit.

I'm just like Toots13, If I were going just to the other side of the 30mph line on the speedo, I think shit, I just passed a camera. Then have problems sleeping for a week (I'm so lame).

If its was a van pulling out of a junction, they were probably on their way to the station, and not looking to pull over someone over-taking.

Bascically, try not to worry. Even if you do get a fine, its just some points and a little fine. The world is imperfect, try not to get hung up on little details.

If they were clocked 1mph over the limit they could appeal and would have a good chance of winning since there are error bounds or whatever (forgot the word - margin for error) and you can say that it was improperly calibrated / used / or whatever. :)
    that 10% thing is rubbish. my mum got caught doing 33mph in a 30 and got fined.
    33 is 110% of 30, ie the extra 10 percent.