Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

tongue piercing

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
I really want it done, but I am so so so scared of the pain. Also I need to be able to take it out for when i become a solicitor, so does it leave any sort of hole/scar? can i take pain relief before? anyone got any horror stories?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    of course piercings leave holes. Some close up quicker than others but you can get clear retainers put in for when at work etc.
  • Options
    have you got yours done RB?
  • Options
    Tongue piercings are apparently the least painful of the them all.

Not everyone is suitable for a tongue piercing due to the placement of veins in the tongue, so make sure you go to a reputable place who'll know whether or not your tongue is suitable for piercing. If they say no, do not go to somewhere else on the offchance they'll say yes. Piercers won't turn work down, if it isn't for a good reason.

And, most people find that tongue piercings close up within a few hours of taking out the barbell and have to have them re-pierced at some point. I don't think it's likely you'll have a massive scar, but there would be an indent after it's closed up.
    Ideally, a piercing is permanent - I personally wouldn't recommend anyone getting a piercing, if their intention is to remove it for a reason later on. If you can't have a permanent tongue piercing, then don't have one.

Finally, do not under ANY circumstances, take painkillers before a piercing. Ibuprofen thins the blood and stops clotting - therefore increasing the chances of bleeding.

Good luck. Ilora x
  • Options
    Tongue piercings are apparently the least painful of the them all.

Not everyone is suitable for a tongue piercing due to the placement of veins in the tongue, so make sure you go to a reputable place who'll know whether or not your tongue is suitable for piercing. If they say no, do not go to somewhere else on the offchance they'll say yes. Piercers won't turn work down, if it isn't for a good reason.

And, most people find that tongue piercings close up within a few hours and have to have them re-pierced at some point. I don't think it's likely you'll have a massive scar, but there would be an indent after it's closed up.
    Ideally, a piercing is permanent - I personally wouldn't recommend anyone getting a piercing, if their intention is to remove it for a reason later on. If you can't have a permanent tongue piercing, then don't have one.

Finally, do not under ANY circumstances, take painkillers before a piercing. Ibuprofen thins the blood and stops clotting - therefore increasing the chances of bleeding.

Good luck. Ilora x
    wow! thanks babes! i would never have thought about the thinning of blood. i know i shouldnt get one done if its not forever, but if its going to close up within a few hours, it will be a problem for the days when i am in court (cant see the judge looking to highly at it!) i can handle a little dent. im so suprised by it being the least painful, so if i have tattoos, i should be ok?
  • Options
    I can't promise it won't hurt - afterall it is a needle piercing through 5mm of muscle, but I've been told that it's the least painful. However, there are some people that say it did hurt...

It's totally up to you! Ilora x
  • Options
    I can't promise it won't hurt - afterall it is a needle piercing through 5mm of muscle, but I've been told that it's the least painful. However, there are some people that say it did hurt...

It's totally up to you! Ilora x
    cheers hun
  • Options
    Mine hurt like a bitch. So much pain and I passed out too.
    But then again I also tried to pull my tongue back in my mouth before the needle was all the way thru. :p
    Then after nearly 5 years when I took mine out I still have pain in it. There wasn't anything wrong with the piericing, but there was always a bit of scar tissue with it and even after I took the ring out and the hole closed up (overnight) it was still there and got irrated often, had to get it lasered off.
    But I know alot of people with tongue piercings and they've never experienced anything like that ;)
  • Options
    There are loads of threads on tongue piercing, do a search. As for my piercing I had no problems with it mines been done for 2 1/2 years now. Having my ears pierced hurt more. I dunno about scarring as mine is still in but its on your tongue so wouldnt really matter.
  • Options
    Ideally, a piercing is permanent - I personally wouldn't recommend anyone getting a piercing, if their intention is to remove it for a reason later on.

why not though? as long as you've taken a scar into consideration I don't see the problem.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    why not though? as long as you've taken a scar into consideration I don't see the problem.

Its perfectly fine to remove a piercing and let it heal over, but it should never be done until the piercing is completely healed with the jewelery in, because taking the jewelery out locks in infection as it heals.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    Its perfectly fine to remove a piercing and let it heal over, but it should never be done until the piercing is completely healed with the jewelery in, because taking the jewelery out locks in infection as it heals.
    yeah thats why i need to get it done relatively soon, so it will definately heal and so I can take it out for an hour over the summer for interviews. but i wont be semi-qualified for over another year, so that will be fine.
  • Options
    i had mine done for about 5 years, and it's been out about a year and a half. there is a lump on the underside of my tongue that's pretty obvious, but on the top there is only the slightest dent, and it's right on the crease down the centre of my tongue, so you really wouldn't see it unless you were looking hard.

i also don't see why you can't have a temporary piercing. it's not like i thought i would grow old with mine when i had it done.

and it didn't hurt much to actually get done, but eating or talking was fairly sore for a week or two after.
  • Options
    If piercings were meant to be temporary, they'd be called 'temporary piercings' - like some tattoos are called temporary tats, but they're not.

Having a hole punched through your skin is trauma enough, let alone wearing a piece of metal through it. Add the trauma of taking it out, putting it in, taking it out again and you'll see that it's obviously not ideal!!

Ilora x
  • Options
    I don't think anybody gets pierced (minus the earlobes) with the intention of leaving it in forever.
  • Options
    If piercings were meant to be temporary, they'd be called 'temporary piercings' - like some tattoos are called temporary tats, but they're not.

they're only called temporary tattoos to differentiate from the permanent ones. if you could take any tattoo off at any time, they'd all just be called tattoos.

added to that, some piercings are by their nature temporary - take eyebrows or bridges. they tend to grow out, so they aren't likely to be permanent.

i say as long as people think it though, and take sensible precautions with regards cleaning and healing, they should be able to stick metal through themselves, and remove it, as many times as they wish.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I don't think anybody gets pierced (minus the earlobes) with the intention of leaving it in forever.
    I didn't say forever, forever is ridiculous. I mean, taking a piercing out a few weeks after you've had it pierced, because of school or work. If that's the case, then surely you'd be better off not having it pierced at all? :chin:
    Piercings should be messed about with as little as possible (other than cleaning) therefore keeping the risk of infection/rejection to a minimum.

Ilora x
  • Options
    I didn't say forever, forever is ridiculous. I mean, taking a piercing out a few weeks after you've had it pierced, because of school or work. If that's the case, then surely you'd be better off not having it pierced at all? :chin:
    Piercings should be messed about with as little as possible (other than cleaning) therefore keeping the risk of infection/rejection to a minimum.

Ilora x
    oh no it will be ages til i have to take it out. i certainly wouldnt get it done for the sake of a few weeks.
  • Options
    I've had mine do for nearly five years.

It didnt hurt but then again I done it myself, slowly.

Yes stupid thing, I was at the time a stupid 15yr old though and know I could have killed myself but I didnt. So, no one please go on at me.
  • Options

Oh I hurt bad just thinking about it! But then again I couldn't even bring myself to pierce my friends earlobes with a gun :p
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Oh I hurt bad just thinking about it! But then again I couldn't even bring myself to pierce my friends earlobes with a gun :p
    In my defense, I went to a place an they said my tongue was too small so wouldnt do it. Heh.
  • Options
    I've had mine do for nearly five years.

Yes stupid thing, I was at the time a stupid 15yr old though and know I could have killed myself but I didnt. So, no one please go on at me.

You rock! that is hardcore!
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    You rock! that is hardcore!
    Nope it was stupid and pathetic and I dont promote it.
  • Options
    ok, well I agree, I wouldn't recommend any do it but I still think it's a rock thing to do. I've pierced my ears a few times but my tongue... yeeouch!
  • Options
    I got mine done nearly 5 years ago and it didn't hurt much. My belly button piercing hurt more than the tongue. It was over before I knew it and it took only two weeks to heal. I didn't have much swelling, the only thing that hurt was when I slept - my mouth was closed for 8 hours and when I woke up and opened my mouth it hurt like a bitch. But that only went on for a week.
  • Options
    chan-chan wrote:
    I got mine done nearly 5 years ago and it didn't hurt much. My belly button piercing hurt more than the tongue. It was over before I knew it and it took only two weeks to heal. I didn't have much swelling, the only thing that hurt was when I slept - my mouth was closed for 8 hours and when I woke up and opened my mouth it hurt like a bitch. But that only went on for a week.
    ill probably regret saying this, but i am not too bothered about the pain once i have it done coz it will be done if that makes sense! i suppose if it is too painful, ill just get pissed lol! appointment booked for tues! :D os excited want it done now!
  • Options
    just a quick one to let you know, i now am the proud owner of a holey tongue. it looks good! had it done 2 hours ago, im so happy. it didnt hurt at all. and it doesnt hurt now. it is hardly swollen, so the bar is looking a bit silly and long and i have the purpleness around it still so he could see where to do it. but its all great, im so happy!! :D
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    it is hardly swollen, so the bar is looking a bit silly and long

eee, don't speak too soon! mine wasn't swollen either at first, then i woke up the next morning, and boom! lisp-o-rama.

well done though! glad you like it and made a sensible informed decision etc :p
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Exactly Kaff :yes:
  • Options
    oooh nooo, dont say that! :( but hey, even if it does swell im still happy! :D