Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Japanese Politicians

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The Yasumkumi Shrine in Tokyo honours the Japanese war dead. This includes those tried, convicted and executed for war crimes (including PM Tojo).

What is more offensive;

1. The fact that the Japanese PM visited it today.
2. The fact that four of the current cabinet plan to visit on the anniversary of the wars end.
Or
3. The 50% of japanese citizen who, in a poll, thought that each of these politicians should attend the shrine?

Either way, I still think that the Koreans who chopped of the tops of their fingers as a protest were SERIOUSLY wasting their time.

Comments

• Options
    I dont find any of that offensive in the least..At least the Japanese honour their war dead..We dont give a crap about ours, they are forgotten and their memories desecrated here..We let the few remaining war veterans freeze to death alone in crappy council houses.

I salute the Japanese govt for honouring their dead...They fought for their country, for their beliefs and for what they thought was right. We may see it as wrong but war crimes were committed by all sides..Only the losers get taken to task for their crimes.

What I do find offensive about the Japanese is their constant revision of WW2 history. I have no ill will toward the Japanese of today but it really does irk me when they teach their kids about how nice and friendly their troops were in WW2...

Honouring their dead is no bad thing, especially in a culture such as the Japanese
  • Options
    Here, here!

Whatever they fought for, Japan's war dead should not be forgotten. Nor ours. I make a point of going to the local war memorial each November 11th and observing the silence. One of the proudest moments of my life was standing on parade in Paragon Square in Hull as a veteran was wheeled past our ranks. The look in his eyes was something I shall always remember: it was like he saw us lads and lasses and thought, "Yes, it was worth it."

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the Sun, and in the morning, we will remember them.
  • Options
    You got me wrong.

I have no problem with them honouring the war dead. What I object to is the honouring of CONVICTED war criminals, some of whom were executed for these crimes. I think that it is sick for the Prime Minister and members of his cabinet to pay respects to these people.

How would you feel about a shrine to Hitler, Goering etc? How would you feel if Cllr Schroeder paid his respects there? There is NO difference.

Should we forget the Rape of Nanking, the treatment of the Koreans or the abuse of our own countrymen - both US and UK?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If we are quoting then how about the memorial to the British dead in the Asian section of the war

"When you go home,
    Tell them of us and say,
    For their tomorrow,
    We gave our today."
  • Options
    Well your post simply says that the shrine honours war dead..Im confused..Is it some kind of memorial with names of specific criminals listed or is it a memorial to all Japanese war dead?

If the shrine specifically names those convicted of war crimes then I find it offensive, if its a non specific memorial then I have no problem.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent:
    The Yasumkumi Shrine in Tokyo honours the Japanese war dead. This includes those tried, convicted and executed for war crimes (including PM Tojo).

They are included in the shrine. There is nothing which separates them from their countrymen.

Like I said, I cannot see the difference between this and the germans having a shrine which included Hitler. These men didn't die as an act of war, they died as an act of justice.

[This message has been edited by Man Of Kent (edited 21-08-2001).]
  • Options
    Well I wouldnt expect them to not honour the soldiers that died for Japan just because the shrine isnt specific.

Japanese war dead encompasses a lot of very brave soldiers that died for their country and what they thought was right..So long as it doesnt specifically say it honours the war criminals then its fine..

If there were a memorial to the German war dead then that would include Hitler and anyone else that died as a result of the war..but it also includes the millions of German soldiers who died for their country..

We have memorials here that honour the Empires dead..there are butchers in our past but I dont intend dishonouring the rest of the soldiers just because someones definition of war dead includes the butchers.

Sorry but this doesnt offend me in the least