Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

AUT and Natfhe Strikes in Higher Education

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any of you affected by them?

Last Tuesday lecturers and other university teachers who are members of these trade unions were on strike over pay. This in itself wasn't too much of a bad thing (we got to skip lectures for the day :thumb: )

But now at UCL they are refusing to mark coursework and assessments until the issues are resolved. I found out today that the mark for my dissertation presentation that I did last week has been withheld as part of the strike action. If things don't get resolved then they are threatening to not mark the summer exam papers and hence graduations will be disrupted/ final results withheld etc.

It is very frustrating to be caught up in the middle of this one.

Comments

• Options
    How dare these lecturers disrupt the education of their students! They're meant to be helping you, for crying out loud! Refusing to mark work shows such petulance. Frankly, every lecturer who takes part in this should be sacked for misconduct.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I had Tuesday off as our two lecturers both were on strike action. With holding results and refusing to mark is a step too far though.
  • Options
    Us too, although nothing has been said about with holding results or anything like that.
  • Options
    I find it hard to come down on one side or the other, because my mum is a lecturer and has repeatedly been involved in these strikes. I fully support her right to strike, and her decision to do so, though I can definitely (as a student myself) see from the other side too. I do know she (and her colleagues, and I assume the involved staff at large) wouldn't take the decision lightly; but I should mention they haven't gone as far as refusing to mark work etc. Her place of work has threatened to sack lecturers and support staff many times before, but they've been idle threats so far.

I assume their thinking is that the University will cave, or at least meet them part of the way to their demands, before the situation with regards to your work becomes critical. Therefore there won't be any need for your student life to continue to be interrupted.
  • Options
    I'm on the side of the lecturers. Of course, most of them aren't just lecturers, they research on top of all the student oriented stuff (well they do if it's a research lead institution). It is hard work.

I'm sure they went on strike when I was at university, and it didn't affect much for anyone (despite their fears).
  • Options
    Yup, same here, they're not marking anything... although I'm only in the first year so it won't affect me too bad apparently... I don't think that they should be allowed not to mark work to the extent that graduation is affected
  • Options
    Yeah, my Uni's lecturers went on strike, some of them even stood outside the buildings in the pouring rain! Haven't heard of them not going as far as not marking stuff though. I totally support what they are doing but not marking work (especially 3rd year work) is really bad, hopefully they will resolve it soon.
  • Options
    had tuesday off, unofrunately have no lessons anyway on tuesday. No work is going to be marked from no on though
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I'm on the side of the lecturers. Of course, most of them aren't just lecturers, they research on top of all the student oriented stuff (well they do if it's a research lead institution). It is hard work.

I'm sure they went on strike when I was at university, and it didn't affect much for anyone (despite their fears).

I agree completely.

I wasn't affected as I was on placement. However, a lot of my faculty was effected.
  • Options
    My institution is doing it too. Though only a third of the lecturers here are actually members, so it is by no means everyone. Our department is still marking, but then they are locking the stuff away so presumably when the dispute is resolved it will come straight out again. Its part of a work to rule; their contracts oblige them to mark it, but not to distribute the results I imagine, which is how they are allowed to do it.

I do support the strike though. We had an EGM on Monday, I went and heard what people had to say and I understand why they are doing it.
  • Options
    yeh mine were on strike last tuesday and we've had a letter saying to expect more strikes and also problems with work being marked.

personally i think it's stupid, the only people they're affecting are the students.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    How dare these lecturers disrupt the education of their students! They're meant to be helping you, for crying out loud! Refusing to mark work shows such petulance. Frankly, every lecturer who takes part in this should be sacked for misconduct.
    totally disagree.
    Read the following:

Why are AUT & NATFHE taking action?
    Our salaries have stagnated. Tony Blair himself has said that they have shown 'practically no increase in real terms over two decades.' AUT and NATFHE have asked the university employers to improve salaries so that they compare to those of other public sector professionals. Members in both unions agreed to take action by overwhelming majorities.

Do the employers have the money?
    Between now and 2008, UK universities will receive an extra £3.4billion in funding, amounting to a 25% increase. The University of Leeds expects its turnover to increase from £350 million to £500 million over the next 3 years. Universities promised the government that at least a third of the extra funding would go into improving salaries. This promise hasn’t been kept. And remember this is not just about paying current staff: our ability to recruit the best and brightest new staff is hampered by this refusal to improve salaries.
  • Options
    yeh mine were on strike last tuesday and we've had a letter saying to expect more strikes and also problems with work being marked.

personally i think it's stupid, the only people they're affecting are the students.
    the world doesn't revolve around the students. besides, i seriously doubt this will affect us apart from a few missed lectures.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    totally disagree.
    Read the following:

Why are AUT & NATFHE taking action?
    Our salaries have stagnated. Tony Blair himself has said that they have shown 'practically no increase in real terms over two decades.' AUT and NATFHE have asked the university employers to improve salaries so that they compare to those of other public sector professionals. Members in both unions agreed to take action by overwhelming majorities.

Do the employers have the money?
    Between now and 2008, UK universities will receive an extra £3.4billion in funding, amounting to a 25% increase. The University of Leeds expects its turnover to increase from £350 million to £500 million over the next 3 years. Universities promised the government that at least a third of the extra funding would go into improving salaries. This promise hasn’t been kept. And remember this is not just about paying current staff: our ability to recruit the best and brightest new staff is hampered by this refusal to improve salaries.

Exactly why I support the action. The lack of wage increase in real terms translates as a 40% decrease from 20 years ago, apparently.
  • Options
    If Tony's so keen to get involved, maybe he could take a pay cut, and talk his MPs into doing that as well, as well as cutting their stupidly high expenses. (but then again, with Blair's £4m mortgages, he might not be keen to practice what he preaches) Lecturers should receive massive pay rises, true, but this tactic of disrupting their students education is disgraceful. Every single lecturer who is refusing to mark work should be sacked for gross misconduct and negligence.
  • Options
    How else do you propose they make a stand to get what they want then?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i seriously doubt this will affect us apart from a few missed lectures.
    It is affecting us beyond missed lecturers, tutorials and supervisions etc. By with holding results and refusing to mark coursework and assessments they are really disrupting things.

Even if they mark the work late it means that we can't act on there feedback to improve the weaknesses in the rest of our coursework (as we will have done all of it before any of the marks are released).

I'm stressed enough as it is, I just want to know if I'm doing okay or not academically. For all I know I could have already failed my degree (if I failed the presentation) and everything else I'm doing could be a complete waste of time.
  • Options
    The lecturers are completely right for striking.

Who you should be blaming is the VC of your university, and the Senate.

The average VC now earns more than the Prime Minister, for fuck's sakes, and yet they plead poverty.

How about taking a wage cut you overpaid, underworked, lazy bureaucratic cunts?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The lecturers are completely right for striking. Who you should be blaming is the VC of your university, and the Senate. The average VC now earns more than the Prime Minister, for fuck's sakes, and yet they plead poverty. How about taking a wage cut you overpaid, underworked, lazy bureaucratic cunts?
    I saw an online article this week that says around 18 Vice-Chancellors are now paid over £200,000 a year, whereas King Tony of Downing Street earns roughly £183,000 a year. I can't help but notice how quiet the VCs are about this... I'll try and get the article, it was interesting stuff.

EDIT: Found it, read it and weep. Just a shame none of them are named here...
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    the world doesn't revolve around the students. besides, i seriously doubt this will affect us apart from a few missed lectures.

but there are better ways of getting your point across than by striking, surely.

what i meant was them striking isn't going to affect the people who they want to get their point across too.
  • Options
    but there are better ways of getting your point across than by striking, surely.

No.

When I was at Durham three years ago the lecturers did a work-to-rule because of their abject pay compared to the grotesque salary and perks enjoyed by the VC Sir kenneth Calman (being responsible for the BSE debacle being his claim to fame). They threatened to go on strike, and they were given promises that were not fulfilled in order to prevent this.

It's great to see that three years on the lecturers have been listened to, and are now being paid a salary which is correct for their stature.

Oh. :(
  • Options
    I don't think it affects the Provost of UCL, Malcolm Grant, either way if I get my feedback or not though. Why would he give a fuck?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    If Tony's so keen to get involved, maybe he could take a pay cut, and talk his MPs into doing that as well, as well as cutting their stupidly high expenses. (but then again, with Blair's £4m mortgages, he might not be keen to practice what he preaches) Lecturers should receive massive pay rises, true, but this tactic of disrupting their students education is disgraceful. Every single lecturer who is refusing to mark work should be sacked for gross misconduct and negligence.

lecturers get treated like complete shit concerning their pay, and you want to sack them all?

you cant be negligent in relation to striking
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I don't think it affects the Provost of UCL, Malcolm Grant, either way if I get my feedback or not though. Why would he give a fuck?

he's a right knobend
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I saw an online article this week that says around 18 Vice-Chancellors are now paid over £200,000 a year, whereas King Tony of Downing Street earns roughly £183,000 a year. I can't help but notice how quiet the VCs are about this... I'll try and get the article, it was interesting stuff.

EDIT: Found it, read it and weep. Just a shame none of them are named here...
    You need to learn to STFU. It's not the VC's that are complaining funnily enough, just like when public-servants go on strike it's not the PM who's complaining.

It's actual lecturers, but not just them, the lab technicians, research assistants and adminstrative staff who aren't being paid what they are owed and what they have been promised.

You stuck up son-of-a-bitch you're not even at uni yet.

For the original question. I had one lecture tuesday, it was a nice break, but I am concerned that a two hour electronics slot was cancelled because we will have to make that up somewhere.
  • Options
    As someone who is lecturing (but not a member of the AUT), I can tell you that anyone who strikes does not do so lightly. Naturally, members of the AUT don't want to strike, but there is only so much talking can achieve, and if the governing bodies do not wish to negotiate, then students should be taking it up with them, not the lecturers. It is ridiculous how little lecturers get paid for the work they do, which often doesn't only involve teaching, but marking, preparation time, and their own research. Those of you calling for lecturers to be sacked for 'gross misconduct' would do better to support the lecturers, rather than vilify them. It's awful that students may be affected, but we have to look long term. Academia as a career is difficult enough, but even when you get there, after potentially 8 years of training (from undergrad to PhD), to find that you are not getting a salary comparable to other sectors is, quite frankly, an insult.The governing bodies have to commit to making a long-term improvement in universities, providing some sort of attraction to potential lecturers. I honestly cannot believe some of the smallminded and petty remarks some posters have made...
  • Options
    Yesterday I had an assessed presentation and the strike action, if it goes on long enough, will affect whether or not I technically pass the course or not and will therefore stop me getting a job. However, the lecturers are completely right to do so.

In Education, the lecturers and tutors are getting paid less to teach new teachers than if they were actually in schools themselves. It's fairly naff.

Unfortunately, in any case like this, you need to use someone to get heard. In this case, it is the students. It should be resolved by June, when it will affect really affect people. In the meantime, we need to hope that action is taken.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, in any case like this, you need to use someone to get heard. In this case, it is the students. It should be resolved by June, when it will affect really affect people. In the meantime, we need to hope that action is taken.
    Lecturers are using students as a pawn in their little battle. This is a disgraceful state of affairs. Lecturers are meant to be helping students, not hindering them. Every single striking lecturer must be sacked.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Lecturers are using students as a pawn in their little battle. This is a disgraceful state of affairs. Lecturers are meant to be helping students, not hindering them. Every single striking lecturer must be sacked.

But if you speak to a lecturer they are extremely sorry that it has come to this state of affairs and are extremely sympathetic to them. However, there is always a pawn in a situation like this. In this case, the students are the obvious ones. As it happens, this strike probably won't affect many students. All they are doing is holding back marks and the only time this will make much difference is in June when the exam board sits.

And if you sack every single striking lecturer then you would be hindering the students even more so as there would be very few left to teach the students.

Why should lecturers not get a decent pay? What do you propose should happen instead? How do you think they should get their voice across? Lecturers have rights too.
  • Options
    Why should lecturers not get a decent pay? What do you propose should happen instead? How do you think they should get their voice across? Lecturers have rights too.
    Of course they deserve decent pay. Instead of targeting students, the very group they're meant to help, why don't they stick two fingers up to their vice-chancellors? Why don't they protest to high heaven about this discredited, failed, sleazy, beyond useless government? Why don't they criticise the relentless drive to get 50% of 18-30 year olds into education, thus massively increasing their workloads and damaging university education? Nah, that's too hard. So, they target students instead. Yep, easy tactics every time...