Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Whining old people

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's amazing. the same stupid "you have to apply the rules to everyone" crap over and over. At exactly the same time admitting that the rule is stupid. Like what the fuck?

It's really simple - Do you have to apply the rules equally to everyone?

No, you fucking don't.

They weren't handed down from some bearded guy on top of a mountain, they aren't laws like gravity, they are just one persons opinion, written down.

If they were put in for a purpose, and that purpose doesn't need meeting, then ditch the rules or if you can't get by without having rules like a 4 year old or something, make up some new ones.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Do you have to apply the rules equally to everyone?

well in this case, why not?
  • Options
    well in this case, why not?

Rules are supposed to serve a purpose. in this case, to make sure that the chance of robbery is limited.

When this purpose is invalid, as in the case of a local WI lady being asked to take off her hat, there is no point in blindly applying the rule.

And that assumes you need to make rules in the first place, which you obviously don't.
  • Options
    then you get someone saying, "well why cant i wear my hat/hood"

and then someone after having an argument or a few drinks decides to bray the living crap outof someone, and guess what, you cant id them on the cctv, cause they are wearing a hood

its a case of double standards here, you either have one standard or none, id prefer none so one single woman (doesnt matter that shes old) can be persecuted, rather than anyone who suffers sever emotional and physical damage fro man attack, and doesnt see attackers brought to justice

and before you see its terribly unlikely to happen, well it is unlikely, as was the hatfield train disaster, or the pan am flights that crashed, or even that car crash just down the road from you, it still happens though

and as much as she is being persecuted, shes not, she was kindly and politely asked to remove a hat, and while im starting to come around to the fact that old people should be treated with a little dignity for their roles in our countries history, i hardly see how this is even a worthwhile news story on the bbc, they should spend their money on another financial advisor to tell them they need more money extorted from us
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    When this purpose is invalid, as in the case of a local WI lady being asked to take off her hat, there is no point in blindly applying the rule.

The purpose isn't invalid, because old people can and do commit serious crime.

Yeah, she should have just left. Her choice. Go somewhere where she can wear a hat inside.

But instead she went whingeing to the flipping papers because the poor old dear wasn't "treated with dignity" (i.e. allowed to have her own way).

Whingeing because you can't have your own way- was this woman two instead of 82 or something?

Good to see CoatHanger hasn't yet passed English 101.
  • Options
    the story was worth running to show how dumbed down we are all becoming.
    to highlight how pathetic our lives are becoming.

how the hell did my generation survive without spy cameras ...?

your all embracing a 1984 mentality.
    in all the science fiction scenarios i remember from my youth ...this stuff would be forced on us against our will ...what went wrong?
    most of you are embracing it!
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    it would still be nice to reduce my chance of dying due to a work related illness, even by a tiny bit, even though the risk is minimal anyway
    Why are you working in a bar then?

See that's the thing I don't get about bar workers who complain about second hand smoke. If you don't like it, work elsewhere.
  • Options
    I think we should remove the ban on asbestos.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

See that's the thing I don't get about bar workers who complain about second hand smoke. If you don't like it, work elsewhere.

This argument keeps coming up and it is still as shit as before.

Following this line of thought there should be NO safety procedures installed anywhere at all to protect workers.

As if getting 'work elsewere' is necessarily easy.

A bar persons job is to serve drinks and they should be able to do that as safely and as confortably as possible, same as for any other job. IF there is something simple and easy that can improve their working conditions then there can be no argument against it apart from the standard selfish smokers.

If you are so pathetically weak that you can't stop smoking at east have the garce to go and kill yourself away from other people.........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    If you are so pathetically weak that you can't stop smoking at east have the garce to go and kill yourself away from other people.........
    thats what we were happily doing ...why wern't you opening a place you liked?
    you wouldn't visit a crack den if you weren't interested would you?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Rules are supposed to serve a purpose. in this case, to make sure that the chance of robbery is limited.

And that assumes you need to make rules in the first place, which you obviously don't.

how do you know the old granny isn't a hardened criminal?

i can understand in some cases the rule needn't be applied but just because she's an old lady doesn't mean she should be exempt.
  • Options
    how do you know the old granny isn't a hardened criminal?

I don't. I do know that if she is shes going to wear the fucking hat anyway. So the total amount of robberies that will be stopped by this rule is ZERO and the total amount of innocent people getting hassled will be 100%.
    i can understand in some cases the rule needn't be applied but just because she's an old lady doesn't mean she should be exempt

I don't see the person as being the exempt, I see the rule itself as damn stupid.
  • Options
    its either black or white.....on or off.......its a yes or a no......binary minded bar staff!.everywhere you go! today your faced with the same "pizza faced" brick wall mentality!
    the human spirit has vannished......i wonder what would happen if we all had to pull together in a world war again??
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    its either black or white.....on or off.......its a yes or a no......binary minded bar staff!.everywhere you go today your faced with the same "pizza faced" brick wall mentality!
    the human spirit has vannished......i wonder what would happen if we all had to pull together in a world war again??

you deano ...bshould be rappin man!
    this old lafdy has come from a world where not wearing a hat was incredibly rare.
    take a look at old pics ...everyone wore a hat ...

it must seem incredibly scary that wearing one now ...means you are treated as ...guilty.
  • Options
    for fucks sake ... it's an old lady wearing...
    a fucking hat! :shocking:

is the play station generation the paranoid generation or the i will never break any rule no matter what generation?
    your fucking scary ...as well as moaning and fucking whining before your time ...and you can't even see it! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    it didn't used to be like this ...doesn't need to be like this ...your digging a fucking huge hole for yourselves.
    spoilt ...

whilst a huge ammount of the world struggle to eat ...get fresh water ...you lot are voluntarily turning into fucking mindless idiots!

is this how every great civilisation that ever existed before ...died?
  • Options

Ridiculous isn't it!
  • Options

so why the big fuss about her having to take it off then

and as for getting another job, screw you people who say i should just go somewhere else, its like your effectively discriminating against me, because i dont like smoke
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    so why the big fuss about her having to take it off then

and as for getting another job, screw you people who say i should just go somewhere else, its like your effectively discriminating against me, because i dont like smoke
    have you ever smoked a joint?
  • Options
    it makes me laugh how the p.c brigade pick on an old women to get all wild about shit..its a p.c safe target!!.......dont mention ethnic minorities ffs!
  • Options
    Topic wrote:
    Whining old people
    Just die already.
  • Options

Yeah. and the point that's already been made is that if she doesn't remove her hat, why should anyone else have to remove thiers? Geez it's not like fucking brain surgery to figure out.

She should have taken her tea cosy off and sat down to drink her meal of guiness.

It sounds as if she was asked fairly nicely if she would mind removing the hat. It seems like this is a typical example of someone who thinks that the world should revolve around her because she's old.

I bet 5p that she pushes to the front of bus queues too. And she's wearing her hat so noone can tell who she is for next time.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    I bet 5p that she pushes to the front of bus queues too. And she's wearing her hat so noone can tell who she is for next time.
    I bet she also screams blue murder when she can't get a seat on the said bus.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

I think we should do away with all safety devices in all workplaces. If you don't like it, you can always work elsewhere.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I bet she also screams blue murder when she can't get a seat on the said bus.

or when her meals on wheels gets cold, especially when shes got that naked photo shoot for the WI in the afternoon
  • Options
    What the fuck? Myriad complaints about buses are irrelevant to this topic; or at best very tenuously linked.

But since the subject's been broached, it baffles me why people harp on about old people harping on about seats on the bus.

A fall (such as one caused by the bus jolting them from their standing position) could seriously injure even the sturdiest of "old people". Have some compassion, try and understand, for pity's sake. They don't do it with the intention of ruining your bus trip, despite what the more self-important person might like to think.

As for them wanting to get on [the bus] first, well don't we all? They're also incredibly aware that they've no guarantee of being offered a seat by anyone else - it would be utter stupidity to rely on the good nature of others.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    My old gran says "youngsters today don't know they're born! One day they'll be old like me."

You can judge the state of a society by how it respects and cares for its old and infirm. Our society is in terminal decay, so, enough said.
  • Options
    this thread should have been titled ...whining young people.
  • Options
    Jesus are we so fucking greedy that we can't give up our bus seat for an elderly person or wait an extra few minutes till we get onto the bus. I'm gonna hate when I'm old.
  • Options
    I stand for anyone who is obviously having trouble standing, it's just common courtesy.

Just like taking your hat off inside when requested to do so.

Queue-jumpers annoy the hell out of me though. Especially when you see these older people who run for the bus and then demand to be let on first because they're "frail". Yeah, course you are, you can run faster than me.