Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

British beef is safe again, EU says

I can't believe that with all the eurosceptics we have around it takes a europhile like me to post this. ;)

The EU has just declared British beef safe again. Which is fantastic news for farmers, if perhaps a few years late.

Still, it's not just the EU which was being cautious. Exports to the US are still banned by the Americans, with no immediate plans to lift the ban it'd seem.

Well it's good news people in the Continent will be able to enjoy British beef again. Seeing as they might just stop eating chicken altogether if a few more cases of bird flu surface (even though it's 100% safe to eat chicken).

Beef Wellington anyone?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    probably been the safest in Europe for several years now - the safeguards put in place after BSE about reporting and foodstuffs are probably the strongest in the world.

Mind you with only 153 cases worldwide (http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/inthenews/a/madcow.htm) a cynic might say the bans are more to protect the domestic farmers of certain countries (yes that means you US and France) rather than as a well-thought through policy to protect the health of the public.
    Beef please. :yum:
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    /jumps upon a wonderful opportunity to bash America.

Yes, but hte US wouldn't let it in during the crisis, when aid was deperatley needed, in New Orleans. FFS, its been safe for AGES now.

But good news, hopefully the Yanks will now follow suit. But knowing how much they hate Europe, doubtful.
    NQA wrote:
    Mind you with only 153 cases worldwide (http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/inthenews/a/madcow.htm) a cynic might say the bans are more to protect the domestic farmers of certain countries (yes that means you US and France) rather than as a well-thought through policy to protect the health of the public.

I dont think its a cynic which would say that, its bloody obvious it was protectionism.
    About Fucking time.
    well, duh.
    Aladdin wrote:
    I can't believe that with all the eurosceptics we have around it takes a europhile like me to post this. ;)

The EU has just declared British beef safe again. Which is fantastic news for farmers, if perhaps a few years late.

Safe from what? Not steroids and antibiotics I'm sure.

British beef is so pumped up with stuff to make the cows have more meat to them.

http://www.alive.com/1340a4a2.php?subject_bread_cramb=185

I've eaten Beef form germany, spain, USA, Canda and Africa and you can taste how much better it is from abroad.
    Steroids are banned in the EU. I think you will find it is US beef that is full of steroids.
    British beef ...safer than sex.
    With the diseases been spread around righ tnow from no one using condoms, etc, i agree...British beef is safer then sex...so have sex with british beef!
    British beef ...safer than sex.

are we including spit roasting in this one?
    MrG wrote:
    are we including spit roasting in this one?
    :lol:

The EU removing the ban is good news for the farmers. But ask yourself, will the French buy it? This is the country that imposed an illegal ban years ago. I somehow think getting France to embrace British beef once more will be an uphill struggle, to say the least.
    Didn't we have to cut the maximum age of eef to two and a half years, which means decent breed just aren't ripe.