Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How quickly should you lose weight?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been on a healthy eating/going to the gym thing for 3 weeks, and have only lost 3 pounds.

Has anyone here lost a lot of weight (more than a stone) and how fast did they lose it?

I know it's not good to lose weight too quickly but I feel like I must be doing something wrong to only lose a pound a week.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I at one point lost 1 1/2 stone, but that took me about 3/4 months.

Of course i put it all back on (and then some!) :impissed:
    hrmm.. i lost 2 stone last year and on average i was losing about 1 - 2.5 pounds per week.
    i would say 1 pound a week is perfectly normal!! its different for each person (faster metabolisms etc) so i say youre doing fine!!

to lose 2 stone it took me about 5 months
    a couple of pounds a week is spot on, unless you are morbidly obese.

the more slowly and steadily you lose, the more likely it is that you're going about it the right way, and the weight will stay off.
    I guess so...I'd just like to double it to 2 pounds a week so I can lose the weight twice as fast! Maybe if I double the length of time I spend in the gym? I go after work and I feel so tired!
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I guess so...I'd just like to double it to 2 pounds a week so I can lose the weight twice as fast! Maybe if I double the length of time I spend in the gym? I go after work and I feel so tired!

More than likely not. Its kind of like saying, well this work out tape says if i do it three times a week for a month i'll see results, so i'll just do it 12 times today.

Slow and steady wins the race. ;)
    The recommended weight loss is 2lbs a week... any more than that and it can be unhealthy.

Ilora x
    is it just the gym you do exercise wise?? maybe if you want more results go for a bit of a walk :) just 30 minutes a day walking works wonders! plus if you do it outside instead of in the gym you will get fresh air and generally have a better time!!

walking in the gym can get very boring and repetitive i find
    i lost almost two stones last year (before i broke my leg) and i lost 7lbs in the first week of my diet because it was a quick start diet and the next few weeks i lost 1 or 2 lbs each week. it took me from february to april to lose almost two stones then i started yo-yo ing....i was following the rosemary conley diet plan btw...but loosing 1lb a week sounds ok to me.

eta: since i broke my leg i got out of the habits i was in and have started to put all the weight back on again which sucks. leg is all healed now and im a lazy arse
    i have become obessed wit my weight again and when i dont have skool i only eat 3 times and it usaly a bit of toast. i weigh 9 stone and am 5 foot 6. and i go to the gym once a week for a hour. is it normal to b ossesbed with my weight at my age im only 16 yrs old
    It sounds to me as though your weight is completely healthy and you should eat normal, healthy food.
    Yeah the gym is pretty much all the exercise I do. I work full time and don't really fancy walking round the streets on my own at night. I don't think walking would do much for me, it's not high impact enough.
    my mum is doing a weight watchers diet and is losing around 2lbs a week. last week she won the prize for having lost the most weight that week.

it also depends on how much you already weigh and what's healthy for you.