Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Catholic Church renews ban on homosexual priests

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote:
    And yet there are countless couples in this country alone where one if HIV positive and the other isn't, and they have been having sex for many many years with no infection.
    What point are you trying to make? That couples shouldn't worry about HIV because some people have sex and don't catch it?
    Even a split condom offers some sort of protection through its spermicide. And you have to bear in mind though that by no means you will be infected through a single unprotected intercourse. On average it is dozens of times if not hundreds in some cases before an infection occurs.

Which means, even if there is a complete condom failure once in every hundred uses, the possibilities of infection for a couple are still fairly low.

Without doubt, the most effective prevention known to man.
    Protection against what? Spermicide protects against pregnancy of course, but not HIV.

Again, are you playing down the risk of catching HIV from unprotected, or inadequately protected, sexual intercourse?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    What point are you trying to make? That couples shouldn't worry about HIV because some people have sex and don't catch it?
    No. I'm saying that couples who use condoms can have safe relations for decades without the uninfected partner catching anything.
    Protection against what? Spermicide protects against pregnancy of course, but not HIV.

Again, are you playing down the risk of catching HIV from unprotected, or inadequately protected, sexual intercourse?
    No. I'm saying that you can have protected sex with an HIV positive person and remain uninfected.

The only thing being attempted to be played down here is condoms- even though they are extremely efficient and the best protection against STDs ever created. I wonder why that is...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It is a significant difference. Gay men are far more likely to catch HIV, because anal sex is more dangerous than vaginal sex. It doesn't mean that they are the fastest spreading group, but they are more likely to have it.

I'd rather listen to the NBS, if its all the same to you.

not all gay men have anal sex, which is a nasty stereotype especially considering apparantly the proportion is similar to that of straight couples in reality

a larger proportion of gay people have hiv, but thats due to the a certain part of the gay community in the 80s mainly, these days the biggest increases in numbers and % is in heterosexual sex

and in many couples the girls are on pill, and guy uses condom when possible, thus having a extremely low chance of condom failure, and then you have add in chance to get infected and/or pregnant

the safest form of relationship is a non-sexual one which is what CoE has in use unless you are married
  • Options
    the safest form of relationship is a non-sexual one
    Some relationship...
  • Options
    This is very difficult to comment on. I sympathise to an extent with the church here. After all, if their position is they haven't got the time of day for homosexuals, odious as such a position may be, they're allowed to take it. But as so often with any debates in the Catholic Church, the reasons for the ban are unclear. Are they banning this because of what the Pope says, or because of homophobia? Or maybe both? It's never easy to tell.

The Anglican Church is dealing with this issue, and it seems to be tearing them apart. I think what the Catholic Church is trying to do is take the bull by the horns to stop any damaging splis from emerging.
  • Options
    Why the old topic?
  • Options
    Why the old topic?
    That would explain why I couldn't see anything about this today when looking at news sites... hmm...
  • Options
    I believe the Catholic Church is correct on the issue of homosexual priests, it doesn't fudge the issue like the C of E, it firmly stands by its beliefs. Whilst it believes that the homosexual act is sinful it doesn't exclude homosexuals from its community but prays that they will not actively pursue their sexual deviation. There must be many gays & lesbians amongst the membership of the Catholic Church and they are welcomed as any other as being members of God's community on Earth.
  • Options
    Hello rich kid...long time no see. :wave:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Hello rich kid...long time no see. :wave:
    How did you work out it was him so quickly? :confused:
  • Options
    From reading all his posts.
  • Options
    rickramone wrote:
    I believe the Catholic Church is correct on the issue of homosexual priests, it doesn't fudge the issue like the C of E, it firmly stands by its beliefs. Whilst it believes that the homosexual act is sinful it doesn't exclude homosexuals from its community but prays that they will not actively pursue their sexual deviation. There must be many gays & lesbians amongst the membership of the Catholic Church and they are welcomed as any other as being members of God's community on Earth.

so instead of practising homosexuality, which i think they should be free to do as they wish, they do this instead

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/09/AR2006030902440.html
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Some relationship...

exactly llife's all about taking acceptable risks and 99% safety is good enough for me :thumb:
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    so instead of practising homosexuality, which i think they should be free to do as they wish, they do this instead

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/09/AR2006030902440.html
    Are you seriously suggesting that some paedophile is in fact a repressed homosexual? Because that's pretty out of order.
  • Options
    Are you seriously suggesting that some paedophile is in fact a repressed homosexual? Because that's pretty out of order.

I think he's sugesting most priests are repressed homosexuals, and that their only real outlet is boys on the brink of being men.

If you put a normal 24 year old heterosexual man under orders to never have sex or even masturbate ever again and put him in charge of a group of 15-16 year old girls, it wouldn't come as a great shock to find him fucking one of them, would it?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    If you put a normal 24 year old heterosexual man under orders to never have sex or even masturbate ever again and put him in charge of a group of 15-16 year old girls, it wouldn't come as a great shock to find him fucking one of them, would it?
    Yes it would!!!! Holy Orders are Holy Orders!!!
  • Options

:lol:

Words written down or spoken aloud don't stop the sun from rising, the seas from tiding or normal heterosexual men from finding young women attractive in the absence of all other sexual outlets.
  • Options
    rickramone wrote:

you really are raving mad aint you
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I think he's sugesting most priests are repressed homosexuals, and that their only real outlet is boys on the brink of being men.

Of course that's absolute bullshit.
  • Options
    So why do you think it is that so many priests molest boys?
  • Options
    Because it is completely unnatural, unhealthy and possibly harmful to one's physical and mental wellbeing to have to refrain from having sex for the duration of their lives.

That shit simply ain't right.
  • Options
    I agree - but I think for anybody in this day and age to sign up for a life of permanent celibacy, they're likely to have been a bit mixed up about their sexuality in the first place.
  • Options
    Or brainwashed at childhood.

I certainly don't think paedophilia is linked to the abuser's sexual orientation. It might be the case that proportionally larger numbers of catholic priests are homosexual. But paedophiles are from all walks of life, and a great many of them appear to be straight, married, 'harmless' family members. The victims tend to be female just as much as male.

I think the priest molesting mostly boys is just a perception. In some particular cases priests would have far easier access to boys than to girls I would imagine, which would go to explain why there appear to be more boys than girls. But there have been several serial child abusing priest cases in the US recently, and IIRC there were as many girls as there were boys.
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    So why do you think it is that so many priests molest boys?
    Well you could ask the reverse question of why so many paedophiles become priests, and end up with a much more obvious answer. But I'm not sure what the circumstances are or what proportion of priests are compared to the general population (because let's face it, a priest or teacher molesting children makes a better news story than anyone else doing the same thing).
    klintock wrote:
    But that's a bit different to being a paedophile. As I understand it, paedophilia is a specific attraction towards younger people and specifically children. Finding 15-16 year old girls attractive in the absence of any other females (or males if you're gay) is quite normal. I don't think paedophilia is a result of not being able or allowed to 'get any' with people your own age, otherwise why would someone like Gary Glitter (who I assume wouldn't have a problem getting sex if he wanted) molest children (allegedly ;))? I don't think that normal heterosexual or homosexual men find children attractive in the absence of all other sexual outlets. That is a separate problem.