Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Books you read as young teens

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well by the time I was twelve i was reading from the adult section, but when I was little - Brian Jaques, point, christopher pike, diana wynn jones,

Any one remember the island of adventure by enid blyton, I loved that book - first read it at six - it was the first book I read by myself with 'adult writing' Ahhh happy memories
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    [EDIT] Louise Renisson! :heart: I used to acutally cry with laughter at those... I think theres a couple I haven't read now though... *goes to find out*

[DOUBLE EDIT] Oh for goodness sake, why can't there just a be normal LIST.... Amazons no help, its got all the american versions and they've all got stupid names... I have found out theres one coming out this year though :D July I think it said.

i think you'll find that there are six books so far - unless one has come out since the last one and i haven't noticed..

Angus, thongs and full frontal snogging, 'It's ok i'm wearing really big Knickers!', Knocked out by my nunga-nungas, dancing in my nuddy pants, 'and thats when it fell off in my hand..', and 'then he at my boy entrancers..'. All equally as brilliant and hilarious as the next! :D
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Animorphs! Animorphs too, I forgot about the Animorphs.
  • Options
    i read the LOTR books nd the hobbit, quite liked them... also ones called 'his dark materials' or something (northern lights etc)... those were v good too
  • Options
    The 'His Dark Materials' trilogy was fantastic, I can't claim to have read those as a "young teen" though. :blush: I remember the first time I read LotR I was unable to put it down, never fell for The Hobbit in the same way though.

As for those Sweet Valley horror specials, I always remember a rollercoaster featuring in one. I think Elizabeth goes on the rollercoaster with her new best mate Claire/Cara/similar and as they get to the top she turns into a skeleton, or is revealed as undead or something. Freaked me out, to say the least. :eek2:
  • Options
    Ah yes, I read "Forever" too. Read it again recently as well. It's funny how it seemed quite tame... I remembered it being a lot 'ruder' :lol:
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    The 'His Dark Materials' trilogy was fantastic, I can't claim to have read those as a "young teen" though. :blush: I remember the first time I read LotR I was unable to put it down, never fell for The Hobbit in the same way though.

As for those Sweet Valley horror specials, I always remember a rollercoaster featuring in one. I think Elizabeth goes on the rollercoaster with her new best mate Claire/Cara/similar and as they get to the top she turns into a skeleton, or is revealed as undead or something. Freaked me out, to say the least. :eek2:

hah yeah i read the dark materials ones last year :D

lotr was young(er) teen tho
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Animorphs! Animorphs too, I forgot about the Animorphs.
    OMG ANIMORPHS!!!!!! Blatantly forgot about that.

And also...eugh...Animal Ark. That stupid thing that they've started doing again. Oh le shame >.<.
  • Options
    Animal Ark was the best, I found out last year that 'Lucy Daniels' doesn't exist and it's actually a group of writers under her name! In America they are published under the pen name of 'Ben Baglio' I think. :(

I read loads of books when I was younger, pretty much everything that has been mentioned apart from Sweet Valley Shite, Animorphs and anything vaguely scary. Goosebumps were the worst, I was too scared to read them and my mum used to get really cross because there were so many in her library!

Would just like to say that Louise Rennison is AWESOME and is responsible for so much. Operation movio deskio for one, and Mr Gray (that's G A R Y) for another!

I still read teenage/young adult (whatever) books because they often have more interesting story lines than adult fiction. I reccommend the Pure Dead series by Debi Gliori, the Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan, and the Faerie Wars books by Herbie Brennan.

EDIT - I'm completely and utterly head over heels in love with Meg Cabot and the Princess Diaries books. (heart) Her own blog is cool as well, she writes about herself just like she writes about Mia in the books.
  • Options
    Animal Ark was the best, I found out last year that 'Lucy Daniels' doesn't exist and it's actually a group of writers under her name! In America they are published under the pen name of 'Ben Baglio' I think. :(

Really! Tut. I used to love those books, they were about the only decent thing in my primary school libary apart from the history text books, ha. Have you seen the new magazine thing thats being advertised on the TV and you get to collect these books with each issue, which i thought was pretty cool if you are like 10 or something, costs you about £5 an issue though :p
  • Options
    £5 an issue? Rip off! £3.99 a book more like! I have donated all of my books to my brother, he likes them because it all ends up ok in the end, plus there are animals. I had most of them I think, I loved the ones where they went to Australia and stuff.

The TV prog was SHITE though :grump:
  • Options
    I didn't know there was a tv programme!

lol yeah wombat in the wild is one of the aussie ones i remeber reading, i just love the ingenius names, 'hedgehogs in the hall' 'donkey on the doorstep' I swear they must have run out of places for these animals in the end :p
  • Options
    Yeah, there was a brief attempt at a TV show which sucked because Mandy was portrayed as a right spoilt bitch. Clicky My mum got it on video for my bruv for 99p, but I remember when it was on TV.

Another clicky exhibit A: all books are under the name of Ben M Baglio. How shit. Animal Ark Pets was shite though.
  • Options
    'Tomorrow Never Comes' age 13

Hey, I was advanced for my age.
  • Options
    Dude how about the tv show/book ghostwriter. Sweet lameness.
  • Options
    The Silver Sword by Ian Serillier or his surnam eis something like that.
  • Options
    The Babysitters Club
    Point Horror
    Goosebumps
    The Saddle Club
    Sweet Valley Books (They used to sell for like a £1)
    The Secret Seven
    Louise Rennison
    Sabrina The Teenage Witch
    Virgina Andrews Books
    Megan
    Narnia Chornicles

God I used to read so much when I was younger!
  • Options
    goosebumps
  • Options
    film_buff wrote:
    goosebumps

Yay. Those were the best. Maybe I'll by some :p I liked the ones where you could like choose the ending :p
  • Options
    Point Horror and Tales of A Forth Grade Nothing.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    And of course Goosebumps. God how I loved those books
    :yes: I had The Death House. :nervous:

Watched the T.V. series asswell. :yes: :nervous:
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Yay. Those were the best. Maybe I'll by some :p I liked the ones where you could like choose the ending :p

I loved the choose your ending books.
    I had a Sonic one and one about some kids that go back in time to see King Arthur and the knights of the round table. My brother had an Escape From Witch Mountain one :p
  • Options
    Goosebumps
    God I used to read so much when I was younger!
    You got that right!!!! What's that song in you signature??
  • Options
    the babysitters club, adrian moles diary.
  • Options
    Babysitters club, goosebumps, enid bylton, rold dahl, horibble histories, adrian mole, Phantom toolbooth, judy blume. Its a shame I dont really get the time to read as much these days.
  • Options
    The Babysitters Club was like my all time fave :heart:

Apart from that it was mainly Point Horror (with the occasional Point Romance thrown in :p), and the odd Goosebumps or Judy Blume book.