Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

View Askew/Kevin Smith

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Who has seen his films?
What did you think of them?

I personally like all the View Askew films and that includes Jersey Girl, although mostly because they all have HILARIOUS dvd commentary tracks attached to them!

Clerks 2 coming soon and To the UK, Dogma 2 disc dvd edition!

Affleck should have won the Oscar for Dogma...but then again, he is da bomb in phantoms!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Clerks so obviously rules. Sequels suck.
    :thumb:

I think the fact I have this on my back says it all...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Lolzabeth/DSCN0784.jpg

I haven't seen Jersey girl but the rest rule!
    I've lost count of the number of times I've watched Mallrats. I know it practically word for word...

"Should I call you Logan, Weapon X?"
    "No! Wolverine! Shnickty shnickty shnoing!"

Don't like Affleck usually but I agree he was very good in Dogma. He was bearable in the rest :p

Not too sure about Clerks 2. Could be good...
    I'm the voice of dissent here, I despise Kevin Smith and the way he tries so hard to be funny and smart - unfortunately coming off as the antithesis of both.

As for Clerks 2, I had to laugh. Making a sequel to the "beginner's luck" hit you had a decade ago? Not impressive.

:p
    BOOOOOOO! Burn briggi, burn him for heracy!

I know Mallrats word for word, but i know the commentary tracks even better. I know all the commentary tracks off by heart. Except Dogma's because we cant get that dvd edition in the UK.

An Evening with Kevin Smith where he talks about movie producer Jon Peters and Tim Burton (Fuck Tim Burton) is funny too!
    briggi wrote:
    I'm the voice of dissent here, I despise Kevin Smith and the way he tries so hard to be funny and smart - unfortunately coming off as the antithesis of both.

As for Clerks 2, I had to laugh. Making a sequel to the "beginner's luck" hit you had a decade ago? Not impressive.

:p

I agree to an extent although i have enjoyed watching most of his stuff. The only decent humour comes from jay & silent bob and his attempts at deeper meaning (Dogma and especially Chasing Amy) are way off target. Chasing Amy is especially bad because a) there's no jay & silent bob so no humour, and b) he presents his personal sexuality/feelings on relationships as universal. Really pisses me off that film.

Subject 13, i agree about Tim Burton. What the fuck is people's obssession with him about? :confused: I can't stand watching that shit.
    Spliffie wrote:
    I agree to an extent although i have enjoyed watching most of his stuff. The only decent humour comes from jay & silent bob and his attempts at deeper meaning (Dogma and especially Chasing Amy) are way off target. Chasing Amy is especially bad because a) there's no jay & silent bob so no humour, and b) he presents his personal sexuality/feelings on relationships as universal. Really pisses me off that film.

Yes! Dogma and Chasing Amy are the worst, and I did enjoy Jay and Silent Bob to an extent (despite having been forced to watch it).

God, Chasing Amy though...I'd completely forgotten about [mentally blocked out?] that one. :(
    subject13 wrote:
    BOOOOOOO! Burn briggi, burn him for heracy!

Him?

Charmed, I'm sure. :p

unless you were meaning Kevin Smith...in which case I'll bring the lighter fluid..
    Your a girl Briggi?

Yes, Tim Burton is annoying.

Dogma is brilliant and hits the nail perfectly, it says very simply and clearly, that murder and hatred in the name of religion is wrong and not what faith is suppose to be about or what the meaning of life is.

Chasing Amy is just a fictional romp about something that will never happen...a Lesbian falling in love with Ben Affleck. Though Jay and Silent Bon are in it...they have a middle point cameo.
    subject13 wrote:
    Your a girl Briggi?

I am of the female persuasion; do I post like a macho, macho man? :hyper:

Each to their own, but I thought Dogma was dull. I have a lot of friends who rave about it but it just didn't do anything for me.
    subject13 wrote:
    Dogma is brilliant and hits the nail perfectly, it says very simply and clearly, that murder and hatred in the name of religion is wrong and not what faith is suppose to be about or what the meaning of life is.

He does ignore plenty of undesirable instrinsic aspects as well though. As a serious statement about religion it'd be quite easy to dismiss.
    Chasing Amy is just a fictional romp about something that will never happen...a Lesbian falling in love with Ben Affleck. Though Jay and Silent Bon are in it...they have a middle point cameo.

Isn't she bi? From what i can remember it's pretty much an analysis of human relationships & sexuality (she's shagged too many people for Affleck's taste, his friend has a gay crush on him...etc etc).
    Briggi you butch :p

The only good part of jay and silent bob strike back was will ferrell... and the monkey.
    Chasing Amy is my fave film of all time!! absolutly love it.

First Kevin Smith movie i saw was mallrats however.

I love em all, even Jersey Gorl has some lovely qualities.

cant wait for clerks 2, even tho it is a bit daft after he said he'd finished with Jay and Silent bob, but who cares! it'll be ace.

I have a massive framed Mallrats poster signed by kevin smith which takes pride of place in my bedroom.

anyone watched "An Evening With Kevin Smith"? hilarious stuff. the dvds well worth picking up.

ETA: whoever said they aint heard the Dogma track, get the R1 SE dvd, it doesnt cost much. had mine since it was released.

Also got my Clerks X, Mallrats 10th Anniversary, Chasing Amy Criterion Collection and Clerks animated series from USA as well, all pretty cheap.

Anyone who likes kevin smith should check out the Clerks animated stuff, its hilarious
    my_name wrote:
    Briggi you butch :p

Maybe he (?) and I can whip 'em out and see whose is bigger. :thumb:

The monkey was pretty damn good, I can't fault it.
    An evening with Kevin Smith is awesome koe_182!
    There is now a sequel to it, An evening with Kevin Smith 2: Evening harder!

I am hoping they will be releasing the dogma special edition in uk sometime soon, like aorund the same time An evening with Kevin Smith 2 comes out here. I have Mallrats X, but doubt i will bother with the anniversary mallrats or Chasing Amy extras.

Jay and silent Bob strike back has Chris Rock at his best and Affleck and Damon on top form insulting each others movies and acting like narsasitic twats! Was awesome!
    I think his films are alright. Nothing too special.
    Kevin Smith is the Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is soooooo funny and soooo smart its unreal.

I love all the films. I have Clerks X, Mallrats special edition, Chasing Amy Special edition, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back special edition and Jeresy Girl sepcial edition...

plus Daredevil special edition in which Kevin Smith was in and the Donnie Darko special edition that has kevin smith doing commentary as well as An Evening with Kevin Smith.

Dogma is such a kick ass film, it is pure genuis. It should have won an oscar and it is in my top fave films of all time.

Chasing Amy is such a beautiful film and I will defend it to the death!!

Jersey Gril is also so beuatiful and amazing, with hilarious commentary tracks aswell.

Clerks, Mallrats and J&SCSB are 3 of th emost funniest films ever!!!

Affleck was da bomb in Phantoms and I am a total Affleck fan. He should just do Kevin Smith and Daredevil films in my opinion.

Anderson, O'Halloren, Mewes, Moiseur all hilarious guys.

I can't wait for Clerks 2.

Kevin Smith = genuis, no 2 ways about it.

Affleck = da bomb!!
    Loved the Kevin smith films. I've not seen Jersey girl but the others i love. Clerks and Dogma are my fav. J&B strike back was ok but not him best (thought it was just cameo after cameo)
    J&SBSB had the best piss takes and cameos in a film ever!

The Ben Affleck/Matt Damon stuff was awesome. No other a list stars would do that and the stuff with Biggs and Van der Beek was comedy gold!!
    It was simply a big in-joke film. A $20 million in-joke movie!

It only made $30million back too.

Thats what you get with Kevin Smith, a film that will make $30million, no more, no less!
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Seen them all, I like them a lot. Especially Dogma, it had a lot of meaning -and not just the "Don't kill for religion" someone mentioned earlier.
    Yup.

Dogma is one of the best films of all time.

Affleck should have won the Oscar! It was robbery, daylight robbery!!!
    Walkindude, are you Ben Affleck/Kevin Smith's publicist? :p

I don't think his own mother could put forward such spirited praise of him...

;)
    I wish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That would be so awesome!!!!!

I am offically and Affleck "Peep"!!!!

And Kevin Smith is awesome.

I'd love to be a part of his crowd. Hanging out with Moisuer, Mews, Affleck and Damon would be soooo cool.

I'd love to be in Dogma 2!!!! Or even Jay and Silent Bob in Space!!

I could easilly big up those guys and wouldn't do an what Affleck's charcter in Jerey Girl did, and trash the client.

"Fresh Prince! Fresh Prince!"

"Will Smith is a 2 bit tv actor that will never get anywhere!!!"

so funny.
    Yeah I like most Kevin Smith films. Chasing Amy is probably my least favourite of them all. not watched it for years tho so maybe I'd like it better now.

Clerks is my favourite of them all followed by Mallrats. I actually liked Jersey Girl - think lots of folk just didn't give it a chance cos of the whole Ben Affleck & Jennifer Lopez thing.
    Walkindude! I am the one who says Affleck should have won the oscar for Dogma, me, not you, me!
    I said it in post up there!!!!!

I loved dogma as a special film before you!!

Affleck is da bomb in phantoms and Dogma!!
    No way! I saw Dogma when it premiered on Sky! How could you have seen it before me?
    I do like his stuff but I havent seen all the films yet. Mallrats is my alltime favourite, even if I do know J&SBSB nearly word-for-word.
    I didn't say I saw it before you. I said it was a special film tome before you.

I loved Dogma for the film itself and not just as a part of Kevin Smiths and Ben Afflecks etc catologue. The whole religious element I love, I love those type of films.

doesn't matter anyway, awesome films.
    True, but i liked Dogma before i had any idea there was a series of them with the same characters, you told me about mallrats and chasing amy and that, but i already knew Dogma.

Awesome stuff.