Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Thailand: Land of Smiles and Katoys

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone here been to Thailand? I have, once or twice or thrice.

Where'd you go? What'd you do? Anyone know anything about Muay Thai?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Never been myself but my grandad lives there and has done for over 15 years. My family have been but when i was young but will go sometime in the future as i would love to see where he lives.
    I have never heard of Muay Thai though.
    I have wanted to go, but I wont now, not with the government they have.
    I spent a couple of years there - working in Chiang Mai first off, then in Bangkok.

The north is definitely my favourite part of the country, all those mountains and jungles and little towns in the middle of nowhere.
    Becky: Does your grandad have a young Thai wife by any chance? About 40 years his junior?

BongBudda: What's up with the Thai government? Are you sure you're not getting them confused with Mynamar (Burma)?

Voodoo: HELL YEAH! Chaing Mai all the way, baby. Where abouts were you in the city? Did you ever go to Lanna? Surely you saw some fights at Gawilla Stadium? You must have ened up in Bubbles a few times? Have you ever run up Doi Duthep? I HAVE. 15km all up hill, 1 hour 15 minutes. ROCK ON! :cool:
    I do Muay thai. It's great, excellent self defence which I think works a lot better than any of the japanese/chinese martial arts. Muay thai seems to concentrate less on what looks good and more on what works, but it still looks cool with all them kicks the thai's can do!
    My parents live out there but I've only been to Bangkok.

And the Thai prime minister is crooked as hell....
    solid_L wrote:
    I do Muay thai. It's great, excellent self defence which I think works a lot better than any of the japanese/chinese martial arts. Muay thai seems to concentrate less on what looks good and more on what works, but it still looks cool with all them kicks the thai's can do!
    Absolutely! Forget the fancy spinning kicks of Taekwondo and the tap-tap-tap foot strikes of karate. Full power, maximum efficiency, devestating strikes is what self-defence is all about.

Solid, have you ever thought about doing it over in Thailand? I thoroughly recommend it.
    been to phuket, favourite place in the world, my brother livers out there
    Brave Dave wrote:
    BongBudda: What's up with the Thai government? Are you sure you're not getting them confused with Mynamar (Burma)?

Certainly Mynmar's government is worse (though its worse than virtually everywhere) but Thailands government is involved in very nasty things.

His new 'war on drugs' runs what basically amounts of death squads with thousands of people gunned down for being suspected drug users or dealers. There is nothing like justice and the police quite commonly just kill people. Oh and his suppression of Muslims in the south of the country is nothing short of horrid.
    I'm afraid I cannot afford to get there, nor have I got the time. I haven't been doing it long but I thoroughly enjoy it, and can already see a difference in my abilities.
    Yeah, the good thing about Muay Thai is that you pick up the basics pretty quickly. Of course, to get good at it you need to put in a LOT of time and effort, as with anything, but you can go from novice to is-able-to-cause-some-damage in a short amount of time. I'm off back to Thailand for a 4th time to train Muay Thai sometime this year. The place where I train has just opened a new training camp in the jungle, away from all the distractions of the city, so I'm going to test it out. I'm also making another video about it because that's what I do :cool:
    Brave Dave wrote:
    . Where abouts were you in the city? Did you ever go to Lanna? Surely you saw some fights at Gawilla Stadium? You must have ened up in Bubbles a few times? Have you ever run up Doi Duthep? I HAVE. 15km all up hill, 1 hour 15 minutes. ROCK ON! :cool:

I was living south of Mahidol road for a while then got a house a bit further in, near the train station. Been up Doi Duthep the once - just about knackered me!

Bubbles - was that the club a little behind the night market? If so, then yep, I ended up there on a few occasions...:D
    Brave Dave wrote:
    Becky: Does your grandad have a young Thai wife by any chance? About 40 years his junior?

Voodoo: HELL YEAH! Chaing Mai all the way, baby. Where abouts were you in the city? Did you ever go to Lanna? Surely you saw some fights at Gawilla Stadium? You must have ened up in Bubbles a few times? Have you ever run up Doi Duthep? I HAVE. 15km all up hill, 1 hour 15 minutes. ROCK ON! :cool:

No my grandad does not have a young Thai wife but if he wanted one there are plenty on offer. He went out originally to teach english but has since retired out there due to poor health and more relaxing lifestyle.