Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Poetry and the Such Like

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Okay, I don't know if this actually goes in here or not, but I'm sure a nice admin person will move it if need be!

Anyways, was just wondering what people felt about the realm of poetry. I write a lot, but I don't always publish a lot.

HOWEVER (bringing me to the point of my topic)
I do have a Deviant Art account. Anyone else? It'd just be cool to share more poetry to more people and stuff. So yeah... I don't know how the URL for Deviant works, but I'm SubtleMelodrama. Feel free to add me, read me stuff, tell me it's good, tell me it sucks.

Eh...aye.
xox
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I don't know if you intend for people to discuss their own poetry, or poetry in general...so I'll do both, I could talk forever on the subject so I love you for starting this topic (even if I'm the only person to post in it :p ).

Anyway, poetry [and discussion] of is where I'm in my element - it felt like poetry was my life for a few years, a while back. I used to attend a Poetry Class (discussion group, really, nothing more) where we had the most insightful, wonderful group leader...I don't think I'd hold the views of literature I do today if I hadn't met him. Eventually he encouraged me (and another woman) to permit him to publish some of our poems (his is The New Century Press, which is based in Durham) and although they're not on sale in Waterstones it was still an enormous achievement. Granted, most of the people who bought my book were family and friends and friends of family etc...but it was still a great experience.

That said, my poetry is personal without being personal in that way. I admire people who can lay their feelings bare in a poem, as I find it near-enough impossible. In my book I wrote about everything that popped into my head Northern Irish politics, plants, Thunderbirds, banshees, straitjackets, whether women should keep their maiden name on marrying, my childhood piano teacher's ghost stories, fairytales I'd read as a child.... I also did some adaptations of other poems - such as Mrs Attila which was inspired by Carol Ann Duffy's The World's Wife and Indomitable which was my skewed version of Emily Dickinson's Hope is a Thing with Feathers. I was probably quite mortified at the time, but I feel a lot of pride now. I would love to be "a poet" but I don't think that'll ever happen. Also, I could never publish (or make public) any poems I write after break-ups or the like, they're strictly cathartic for me. Anyway, if you did want to read any of my poetry you can PM me. I won't hold my breath. ;) If I can work out how to navigate that website you mentioned - and locate you - then I'll be sure to give you some feedback.

In terms of poetry in general, it's hard to shut me up once I start blathering. There are so many different types of poetry...and poet. Some of my favourites are:

Dorothy Parker, Whitman, ee cummings, Sylvia Plath, Mary Oliver, Tennyson (The Lady of Shalott was the first poem I could ever recite off by heart), Emily Dickinson, Rilke, Robert Bringhurst, Leonard Cohen, Margaret Atwood, Ted Hughes, Seamus Heaney, Anne Sexton, Poe, Edna St. Vincent Millay, GK Chesterton, J. Milton Hayes, Carol Ann Duffy, Christina Rosetti, T.S Eliot and the list goes on (and on).

I adore Sylvia Plath's poetry despite everything people say to try and put me off, and I can spout Daddy or Mirror or Lady Lazarus at the drop of a hat. My old poetry group were convinced you had to lean toward Plath or Hughes, but I could read both of their work ad nauseum.

I have little time for the Romantic poets, by and large. I'm starting to be able to tolerate Keats and Coleridge in small doses.

Which poets inspire you, then? I'd be interested to know, as the answers people give usually surprise me. :)
  • Options
    I adore e.e.cummings. The simplicity of the way his poems look, without capital letters and minimal punctuation, and then the sheer beauty of the words are just gorgeous. I first found 'I carry you in my heart' and now I'm addicted - it's total, beautiful emotion in his love poems and then others are just so funny.....
  • Options
    I adore e.e.cummings. The simplicity of the way his poems look, without capital letters and minimal punctuation, and then the sheer beauty of the words are just gorgeous. I first found 'I carry you in my heart' and now I'm addicted - it's total, beautiful emotion in his love poems and then others are just so funny.....

:yes:

My ex wrote out a poem of his in my birthday card the first year we were together, it made me blush but I loved it...and I still love it despite things that happened between us. I cannot fault the description of eyes as "big love-crumbs", best metaphor ever. Gorgeous.

I also adore untitled [Buffalo Bill's / defunct]. A very vivid and concise description.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I have little time for the Romantic poets, by and large. I'm starting to be able to tolerate Keats and Coleridge in small doses.

:eek:

The Romanticists where the best.

Just like to add Wordsworth and Shelley into the fray.

Oh and Alexander Pope aswell.
  • Options
    I write poetry and have written a book of poetry, that even though is personal, I would love to see published but getting poetry published is like turning metal into gold. Nigh impossible to get done.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    :eek:

The Romanticists where the best.

Diff'rent strokes. ;) My main problem with Wordsworth is that his work just doesn't measure up to all the quacking the ivory tower elitists do about how "no good poetry has been written since Wordsworth", obviously they're unable to understand different tastes etc.

Admittedly, I forgot to mention that I've come to quite like Byron. I appreciate his wit, and read a very, er, candid biography of him that made me appreciate his writing that little bit more. Burns wrote some fantastic poetry, too. They're just not the ones that really speak to me.

Walkindude, I'd never have had anything published if I hadn't had the encouragement of such a wonderful person...who has their own poetry printing press. You're right, I can't imagine how rare and difficult it is to get a book of poetry published otherwise. It's a good idea to contribute to magazines, competitions etc.
  • Options
    i have written poetry, not necessarily personal stuff, but it did help me get through a tough time.

all mine is on a website i made :) might have to have a look at the deviant art website tho.

(for anyone who's interested, the link to my site + poems is in me sig)
  • Options
    I'm not a big wordsworth fan, i find him too into himself. The Romantics all big themselves up a big too much for my liking.
  • Options
    aye

poetry mags are hard to find though and when they are they are usually expenisve :(

You can do self publishing via comapines but it costs a bomb.

Advice from writers, publihsers and poetry publihsers ect have al said don't expect to get your poems published. Most likely faftre you die you could get them published but thats it. Others have said write other books first then your agent will indulge your poetic streak.

Don't suppose they'd print mine?? lol

Oh and one of my fave poets is Emily Dickinson :)
  • Options
    yeats yeats yeats..... Every time I reasd 'he wishes for the cloths of heavens' I have tears in my eyes. I also love sassoon, and Owen, one of my other favourite poems being 'dulce et decorum est propatrium mori'

Are we allowed to write our poems on this board, cos I would like to know the standard of everyone else writing. :p
  • Options
    lol.

A poetry threa?? Interesting. I might be a bit imbrassed though.

I am afriad I go for the classic rhyming couplets style that is so often derided by so called "serious" poets lol.
  • Options
    i go for the depressing as hell variety
  • Options
    Mine is like that. big surprise lol.

But there is humour in there, and some are happy and upeat. Some are werid. Some are modern. Some are old school. Some are straight forward and some are abstract.
  • Options
    ok how about i bite the bullet and write down a poem !!!!!

here goes.....

rise to the heavens like an unbroken star
    pharoh their God, revered from afar
    work hardened faces look up and adore you
    no greater ruler was ever befor you
    they rise to your calling to take up your fate
    come see them mourning, in tombs they will wait
  • Options
    oooooo!!!! I like it!!!

Seriously I do. I liek the dark stuff with good imagery. Nice touch with the tombs at the end.

Very Emily Dickinson.

I can't come up with one on the spot, not original anyway. But I might get some of my old poenms and put them up...maybe......
  • Options
    ok here is a limerick for you...

there was a young boy who lived at loch earn
    his hair was so greasy it looked like a perm
    he liked little boys as more that just mates
    just ask louis, he'll give you goo rates
    he had a slight problem with his little man,
    he'd see the school master and up it would stand
    infected it got, one sunny day,
    all slimy and rotten they chopped it away
    so now this poor boy has no pleasure at all
    from women or men, his knob is too small

this was not written about an ex btw
  • Options
    lol!!!!! Nice! Original????

Only ones I can come up with is one used in Blackadder and one used bby my family for years;

Row, Row , row your boat
    gentle down the stream...
    Belt off.
    Trousers down.
    Isn't Life a scream?

Hey!!!!

and

The Boy stood on the burning deck.
    His pockets full of crackers.
    One fell down his trousers....
    ..and paralysed his knackers!
  • Options
    I enjoy reading lots of different types of poetry and do regularly but i couldn't really pick a favourite author or poem.. I write a bit of my own every now and again too.. but nothing i'd show to anyone else.
  • Options
    ok before i get back to work, this is the favourite one that i have written - it is called as i watch you pass me by

hair adorns soft skin
    silk upon polished glass
    a mirrored image; marbled grace
    light reflecting in your face
    white ribbon entwined;
    ebony divine

a stem of etched crystal
    bleeds a sweet liquor
    red - it melts into my tongue
    a waft of perfume fills my senses,
    and stains the air with roses

violins stroke notes
    as voices drift away like sand
    folds caress your swaying hips
    ribbons sweep the floor
    as i watch you pass me by
  • Options
    I like talia.

Very flowing and moving. Like your taking along with the words, like riding the wind.

Very good stuff. I enjoyed :)
  • Options
    I've always had no interest at all in poetry - I think because the poems I'd read were either ones I didn't understand, or depressing goth ones online about slit wrists. But we've just finished analysing an entire anthology of poems for GCSE English, and I have to say, I really liked some of them. I like Carol Ann Duffy and Simon Armitage, because they're witty and are about unusual subjects or situations. I didn't enjoy the pre-1914 poems, as they went on a little too long, and didn't seem relevant to me :/
  • Options
    I can't stand poetry. I can read any of it and feel absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    I didn't enjoy the pre-1914 poems, as they went on a little too long, and didn't seem relevant to me :/

Ever read Chaucer? Wouldn't be your cup of tea.

My favourite poem is by Shelley, Ozymandias:

I met a traveller from an antique land
    Who said:—Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
    Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown
    And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mock'd them and the heart that fed.
    And on the pedestal these words appear:
    "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
    Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
    Nothing beside remains: round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.
  • Options
    I cant write anything but haikus, but since taking Classical Studies as a minor, I have covered quite abit of poetry. Particulary liking Sappho, Alcaeus and Catullus right now. Alcaeus in particular.
  • Options
    That is an amazing poem, turlough. The imagery really got to me. Have to say I am not a big fan of modern poetry, but I like morgan - his experimental stuff like newmarket, and the one aout jesus - 'i am the son etc' also strawberries is a wonderful poem, and glasgow 5th is one of the best of its kind i think

I love poems *sighs in contentment*
  • Options
    aye poems are good stuff.
  • Options
  • Options
    talia wrote:
    ok how about i bite the bullet and write down a poem !!!!!

here goes.....

rise to the heavens like an unbroken star
    pharoh their God, revered from afar
    work hardened faces look up and adore you
    no greater ruler was ever befor you
    they rise to your calling to take up your fate
    come see them mourning, in tombs they will wait

I just loved this, very evocative of feelings and faith.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    My favourite poem is by Shelley, Ozymandias:

I met a traveller from an antique land
    Who said:—Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
    Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown
    And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mock'd them and the heart that fed.
    And on the pedestal these words appear:
    "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
    Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
    Nothing beside remains: round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.

I concur, that's tolerable. ;)

The only Shelley poem I ever really liked was Ode to the West Wind, especially:

Make me thy lyre, even as the forest is:
    What if my leaves are falling like its own!
    The tumult of thy mighty harmonies.

Will take from both a deep, autumnal tone,
    Sweet though in sadness. Be thou, Spirit fierce,
    My spirit! Be thou me, impetuous one!

Drive my dead thoughts over the universe
    Like withered leaves to quicken a new birth!
    And, by the incantation of this verse,

Scatter, as from an unextinguished hearth
    Ashes and sparks, my words among mankind!
    Be through my lips to unawakened Earth

The trumpet of a prophecy! O Wind,
    If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?

I have to say that I'm a big Chaucer fan, I don't know about anyone else but I think he's hilarious.
  • Options
    I like

Suicide In The Trenches
    By Siegfried Sassoon

I knew a simple soldier boy
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.