Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

woman loses bid to use embryo from ex partner

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Toadborg wrote:
    More macho posturing I see

Do you realise how ridiculous you sound, you used to be quite sensible I seem to remember...........

He had an affair so he deserves to be killed? Brutal beatings as punishment? All very sensible, glad you or people like you aren't in power, it would be a Taliban hellhole.......

Seconded.

Kermit seems to spouting more angry hyperbole than usual these days.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    1. She's infertile because of the cancer treatment.

she can use another womans eggs you know
  • Options
    she can use another womans eggs you know

Out of interest, which part of that child would be hers then?

Oh.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    So you think this bloke should have a an unwanted child with an unwanted partner. That's crazy.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    This is one of the many stories in the news I'm not really fussed about (you may call me selfish, but I care less about that), but I don't see him as spiteful.
    The bloke may be deeply unpleasant, but the story doesn't infer that he said withdrew consent to hurt her.

All my sympathies to her, though. No aspect of it is pleasant at all.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Out of interest, which part of that child would be hers then?

Oh.

oh wow it will come from her still, she will bring it up, she is the mother

if i was ever unlucky enough to become infertile and wanted a kid, i wouldnt give a toss it isnt my genetic material, as i know my love would go into it, which is what matters really

having a child isn't a 'right' and it isnt just her embryo it is his as well and thus neither of them have final say to letting it go through

it's very sad for her im sure but that doesn't mean squat in terms of producing a child and she still has options, and if she doesn't take them up its her choice
  • Options
    I sympathise with the bloke in this story tbh, i mean dont get me wrong i can see why it would upset the woman because it is stopping pretty much her only chance of having children. But i agree with skive, why should this man be forced to have children with someone he doesnt want to and is not involved with anymore. I think he has every right to withdraw consent. imagine if things were the other way around and it was him who couldnt have children anymore. Do you think his ex-partner would want him and another woman bringing up her child? i dont think so!
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    I sympathise with the bloke in this story tbh, i mean dont get me wrong i can see why it would upset the woman because it is stopping pretty much her only chance of having children. But i agree with skive, why should this man be forced to have children with someone he doesnt want to and is not involved with anymore. I think he has every right to withdraw consent. imagine if things were the other way around and it was him who couldnt have children anymore. Do you think his ex-partner would want him and another woman bringing up her child? i dont think so!

i agree totally with the sentiment there icey, but the question both me and kermit and others are still concerned about, is that had this been a natural conception, he woudlnt be able to back out of it, once an egg is fertilised, should it not be up to the women to decide that which she wants to do with it
  • Options
    i dont think its quite the same as if the child was created naturally, i mean theres not a difficult choice to make because its not as if she has to go through either child birth or an abortion is it. This fertilsed egg is (at the moment) sitting in a laboratory awaiting a decision on this case.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    MrG wrote:
    once an egg is fertilised, should it not be up to the women to decide that which she wants to do with it

If it was inside her I would agree, but since it isn't hasn't he got as much 'right' to abort the child as she has.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    If it was inside her I would agree, but since it isn't hasn't he got as much 'right' to abort the child as she has.
    :yes: Spot on! i agree with that completely.
  • Options
    they entered a joint agreement, and thus both have the continual right to disallow the final (permenent) step as up until then that embryo hasnt even seen her body
    Well, I think it's trickier than that, cause even if the final step isn't in yet, there has been change since the initial state of things - an irreversible change since the egg has been fertilised to create an embryo, so the original egg and sperm can't be recovered. Sure, he has sperm enough to fertilise half the human race if he wants, but hers were her last, so those eggs were pretty valuable. So, what I'm saying is their right to withdraw their consentment should be up until something permanent happens... turns out it did happen: she can't recover those eggs. Therefore, if the process got to this point, it should continue is at was agreed beforehand.

But on a second note, I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the embryo's right to be born. I'm not saying you have to agree with it, but don't you think it should come up at some point? What i said above about the eggs having been fertilised to be irreversible was thought only from the owners' of the genetical material point of view, but I think it is a HUGE issue from the future child's point of view. IMO, the permanent change occured when the egg was fertilised because an embryo was created - at this moment a third's perspective should be taken into account.

rickramone said something interesting here:
    Also, is it fair to bring a child into the world when the father doesn't want it and the mother has a stronger than average chance of terminal illness? I know nothing in life is certain, but the odds certainly would be stacked against this child if it was born.
    Personally, I don't agree with it cause the child would be denied the opportunity of even having a life, which I think he has a right to. Still, it's a good point, and at least someone thought about the issue from the child's perspective.
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    But on a second note, I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the embryo's right to be born. I'm not saying you have to agree with it, but don't you think it should come up at some point? What i said above about the eggs having been fertilised to be irreversible was thought only from the owners' of the genetical material point of view, but I think it is a HUGE issue from the future child's point of view. IMO, the permanent change occured when the egg was fertilised because an embryo was created - at this moment a third's perspective should be taken into account.

where does an embryo have a right to be allowed to grow, currently that isn't allowed through liquid nitrogen, so that 'right' as you put it is already being broken

thats why there is no such rights
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    But on a second note, I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the embryo's right to be born.

"Won't somebody please think of the embryo."

Come on. You're pulling my plonker. It's not a baby. It has no such right. We'd best stop blokes from masturbating and couples from using their condoms because all those sperm are being denied the right to life when they get flushed down the khazi.

Yeeeesh.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    had this been a natural conception, he woudlnt be able to back out of it

But it wasn't, so there is no logical.

You might just as well say, if they'd had children before she developed cancer...
    once an egg is fertilised, should it not be up to the women to decide that which she wants to do with it

No. Why should it be?
    bluewisdom wrote:
    I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the embryo's right to be born.

Possibly because there is no such thing.

What about the right not to have been frozen in the first place, what about the right not to have been harvested? What about the abuse of rights which conception brings?
  • Options
    What about the right not to have been frozen in the first place, what about the right not to have been harvested? What about the abuse of rights which conception brings?
    I can see where you're coming from but I think you can't compare any of those 'rights' to the right to life because if you deny the latter, there will be no person to apply the former 'rights' to in the first place.
    where does an embryo have a right to be allowed to grow, currently that isn't allowed through liquid nitrogen, so that 'right' as you put it is already being broken
    The fact that the embryo has been 'put on hold' or frozen doesn't magically strip it of a right it had beforehand. If the possibility of being born is still there, then the right is still there. It's the difference between waiting to be born and not being born at all. (This applies of course, if you think there was this right beforehand, which you obviously don't, so I think that's more the point of discussion here).

Anyway, that's a parallel debate, I'm also interested in what you think of the first part of my post.