Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Whining old people

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MrG wrote:
    i think it was a bit wrong and insensitive for him to put it quite like that, but times are changing, and while eldery people are often treated with respect and dignity, as Mrs Wilbraham was when she was kindly asked to removed her hat, it doesnt mean she can be expected to be treated in a vastly different manner as any other general member of the public would expect to be
    the world is certainly changing,what its changing into is another matter......
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    but times are changing, she can be expected to be treated in a vastly different manner as any other general member of the public would expect to be
    times are obviously changing for the worse then.
    we are now so cloned ...with our shops and city centres all being identical ...that no one ...no one at all ...can be allowed any kind of different treatment ...what happened to the HUMAN condition overnight?
  • Options
    none, which is the exact amount required because she was kindly asked to take the hat off, as i expect pretty much everyone else would be
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    none, which is the exact amount required because she was kindly asked to take the hat off, as i expect pretty much everyone else would be
    as klint suggested ...a measure of violence can be expected.
    i'm going to have to test the waters here.
    i'm going to the pub with a hat on this weekend ...and i'll refuse to remove it.
    see me in the papers next week aye ...
  • Options
    times are obviously changing for the worse then.
    we are now so cloned ...with our shops and city centres all being identical ...that no one ...no one at all ...can be allowed any kind of different treatment ...what happened to the HUMAN condition overnight?

i would have been quite happy to have let the old woman keep the hat on, if i was the landlord of the pub, as you said, shes hardly a terrible danger, but the problem is, im not the landlord, and you cant argue with the official policy of a pub

i think its bad that towns are starting to look like identical clones

people shouldnt be allowed much different treatment in generall, unless they are impaired (disabled or terribly frail), cause otherwise you start getting into the issue of men and women having equal rights, why shouldnt i be sexist if we are to be ageist by being super nice to old people

thing is you say if you were a landlord you would allow smoking, and that what you choose should be the be all and end all of all arguments, so how come in this case a landlords choice in the matter certainly doesnt mater anymore to you
  • Options

And if she smiles and says "no thanks, sonny"?
  • Options
    as klint suggested ...a measure of violence can be expected.
    i'm going to have to test the waters here.
    i'm going to the pub with a hat on this weekend ...and i'll refuse to remove it.
    see me in the papers next week aye ...

i'll send some kendal mint cake in the post, and make sure you wear your i love jim banner in the post

and to be honest, i only think you will get in the paper if you complain about it
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    And if she smiles and says "no thanks, sonny"?

dont let her in next time
  • Options

What level of violence is allowable to stop this old woman entering the pub then?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i thing is you say if you were a landlord you would allow smoking, and that what you choose should be the be all and end all of all arguments, so how come in this case a landlords choice in the matter certainly doesnt mater anymore to you
    like i said earlier ...she should have supped up and gone elswhere.
    but ...the fact a thread can be made ridculing old people for wanting to wear hats ...and people call this old dear all manner of things ...people support such stupid rules beggars belief.
    the whole attitude to a little old lady ...is beyonfd me.

remember ...youth and beauty are fleeting things ...
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    bouncers on the door.."sorry you old cunt, ye not cumin in,look what happend last time"
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    What level of violence is allowable to stop this old woman entering the pub then?

none, because as proven she bitched off at the newspapers and left at her own accord

though i cant answer your question, because as much as its easy to counter act someones factual response, its too easy to twist and kill responses based on hypothetical situations

someone still hasnt answered the question
    why is it so bad that this landlord has decided he doesnt like hats in his pub, thats its such a travesty of all thing holy, yet you think that if a landlord decides he wants an all smoking bar, its ok to follow his lead in that case
  • Options
    but ...the fact a thread can be made ridculing old people for wanting to wear hats ...and people call this old dear all manner of things ...people support such stupid rules beggars belief.

they plan to be young and beautiful for ever!
  • Options

i wasnt ridiculing old people wanting to wear hats

i was ridiculing people in general wanting to wear hats indoors, and also the fact that the old woman in general went and bleated at the papers thinking it was disgraceful because she is old, which it isnt

its disgraceful in general, to anyone, not just old people, and its also silly to wear hats indoors as well
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    bouncers on the door.."sorry you old cunt, ye not cumin in,look what happend last time"

irrelevant post really as the staff were nothing but polite when asking
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    irrelevant post really as the staff were nothing but polite when asking
    i think you may have missed the point there
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    i was allways taught to have respect for old people.

Just because they're old? Bollocks to that.
    Old people are like young people. There're some I respect, and some I don't.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    i think you may have missed the point there

i dont think i did, because posting as you did suggests that the establishment in someway directly intended to piss this old woman off, which they didnt
  • Options
    Just because they're old? Bollocks to that.
    Old people are like young people. There're some I respect, and some I don't.
    so an old lady who just wants to wear a hat,doesnt warrant your respect?
  • Options
    id say no, she doesnt warrant disrespect, but she certainly wouldnt have me going out of my way compared to any other person, just because she wants to wear a hat AND is old
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i dont think i did, because posting as you did suggests that the establishment in someway directly intended to piss this old woman off, which they didnt
    we were talking about the level of violence required to not let her in,i coupled that with the general lack of respect for old people on here.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    we were talking about the level of violence required to not let her in,i coupled that with the general lack of respect for old people on here.

i can hardly respect people i do not personally know, or know of

my problem with this old woman in question is her behaviour and what happened, not purely because she is old, you do not automatically have me dancing and singing in the rafters like an angel catering for your every need, just because you might be an old person, if you act in a bit of a crazy and pretty unjustified manner, i'll treat you without respect, regardless of your age
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    so an old lady who just wants to wear a hat,doesnt warrant your respect?

It isn't in the least bit disrespectful to ask her (politely, of course), to remove it.
  • Options
    It isn't in the least bit disrespectful to ask her (politely, of course), to remove it.
    but the point is WHY?....is everyone so used to being told what to do now days that there is no room for sensible thought?
  • Options
    the sensible thought was, that everyone else is politely asked to remove hats, so why should the old lady be exempt, purely on the grounds that she is old, considering she got more than her due politeness in the way the bar staff handled the manner
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    but the point is WHY?....is everyone so used to being told what to do now days that there is no room for sensible thought?

Because the pub wishes to impose that rule. I think dress codes (and the pubs that have them) are bollocks, but it's up to them.

I don't really understand the "sensible thought" thing. The pub (for some reason) banned the wearing of hats. She fell foul of that rule, and was asked to take it off (like anyone else in the pub would've been). It seems quite simple.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    the sensible thought was, that everyone else is politely asked to remove hats, so why should the old lady be exempt, purely on the grounds that she is old, considering she got more than her due politeness in the way the bar staff handled the manner
    oh fuck it!....its a waste of time,its like talking to a machine!......just dont get old ffs!
  • Options
    i'll probly die of lung cancer due to secondary smoke inhilation at work, before i get old anyway
  • Options
    we are breeding a nation of androids.......no wonder my bank mangers such a cunt!
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    we are breeding a nation of androids.......no wonder my bank mangers such a cunt!

off the topic question, but it wouldnt happen to be HSBC would it?