Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

International Women's Day

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
That's right, today is the day intended to connect and inspire women all over the world to live to their full potential and for everyone to remember and honour the late, great women of the world past....and to bring to the forefront our great female contemporaries.

Personally, I'd wanted to go to the SpitLit Festival but as I'm too poor, I'm instead going to Reading Women at The Manchester Museum this evening. Anyone else doing anything?

Annnyway, today is a great day to be [especially] good to the women in your life...mum, grandma, aunt, lollipop lady etc ad nauseum.

To tie this in to the usual random question of Anything Goes - who is your favourite/most identified with female figure in history? Literature? Politics?

Before someone whinges, the entirity of June is apparently Men's Month. :p;)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In politics, I think the person who's had the biggest affect on Britain is almost certainly Margaret Thatcher. Her policies are ones many could disagree with, but she showed a self-determination and confidence that has been unequalled since. She changed Britain beyond recognition, some of it for the better, some of it for the worse.

In literature, my choice would be Jane Austen, for the simple reason I remember studying her novels back at English Literature A-Level. I must admit at the time I thought they were rubbish. But I've looked back since and I didn't appreciate them at the time. They were much better than I had originally thought.

As for British history, I think the woman who really changed how women are seen is Queen Elizabeth I. The first female queen that England ever had, she showed that she could do the job just as well as any man, if not better.
  • Options
    Hmm, difficult one for me. I'm reading Cunt at the moment. Don't agree with it all, but it's a very interesting book.
  • Options
    Happy day to us all!!!!! :D

Of the women I admire, I know its a cliché but..... Mother Theresa. Her courage, determination, consistency and love are insurpassable imo.
  • Options
    Who cares if Mother Theresa is a cliché? She's an inspiration.

If I had the time now I could write an epic about women I admire (and I may well do so later on ;) ) but off the top of my head, I'd have to say Mary Wollstonecraft. By all accounts a wonderful writer and a glorious, fiery woman. In contemporary writing, I'd have to say Margaret Atwood and Marilyn French...though among so many others.

In literary terms, it'd also be interesting to hear who people's favourite female characters in literature are... I'd have to consider that one for a while, I think. :chin:

Historically, I think we may've struggled a bit without Mrs Pankhurst.
  • Options
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    today is the day intended to connect and inspire women all over the world to live to their full potential

Great...now go clean the dishes! :p

I've studied the Tudors in quite bit of depth, Mary seems to get a lot of stick, mainly for burning 300 Protestants but she wasn't all that bad a leader. Elizabeth gets a lot of praise but I don't see anything too great about her or her achievements. Of them all, Henry 7th was probably the most competent.

Only woman I can think of now is Emily Pankhurst.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    In politics, I think the person who's had the biggest affect on Britain is almost certainly Margaret Thatcher. Her policies are ones many could disagree with, but she showed a self-determination and confidence that has been unequalled since. She changed Britain beyond recognition, some of it for the better, some of it for the worse.

:yuck: fuck maggy

sorry ive nothing useful to contribute :angel:
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    :yuck: fuck maggy

If you're into that.

:sour:
  • Options
    Would ya ride her for a million quid? :chin:

She's probably the worst woman in womankind history!