Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Countries and Borders

...are simply a rather convenient social construct designed to do nothing more than ensure the masses do not rise up against the classes.

Discuss.

Countries are not real, they are a social construct created so that people can be hemmed it like pigs, and not be allowed to roam and join forces with other people.

Borders are there to ensure the oppressed remain oppressed. Sorry, you can't come in here, you're foreign. Sorry, you can't leave here, you haven't signed over all your details and intimate biological data to get a passport.

Countries are simply about dividing up resources, and making sure they stay where they are. People are like any other natural resource. Borders are the pens at the zoo, making sure that people stay penned up, easily controllable, easily contained.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oi!

That's my schtick!

:lol:

p.s. Think of it as self-herding livestock.
  • Options
    i can hear clandestines charger,galloping towards this thread.
  • Options
    Artificial they might be, but they are very much real as far as any human being is concerned. Man is capable of creating things, even if they are abstract and cannot be touched or smelt.

Countries are as real as taxes. I trust nobody here (well, excluding one poster perhaps) would suggest taxes don't exist?

I hope you haven't joined the 'if I can't see it, hear it or touch it, it doesn't exist' school of thought, Kermit...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Artificial they might be, but they are very much real as far as any human being is concerned. Man is capable of creating things, even if they are abstract and cannot be touched or smelt.

They are a social construct, maintained by guns.

They are real, in that if I cross a border without permission I'll get shot. But they don't have any natural basis. I can't touch a country.

That wasn't really my point. I was saying that countries exist solely so that the ruling classes can keep tabs on the masses.
  • Options
    Yeah that's true.

In fact, when you think about it, it is pretty outrageous than a human being born on this planet can usually only live in the country they were born in...

If it were down to me I'd remove all border restrictions.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    In fact, when you think about it, it is pretty outrageous than a human being born on this planet can usually only live in the country they were born in...

can't come here mate, you're foreign.

Back to poverty you go!
  • Options
    Deano, methinks you presume too much. I wouldn't steal Klint's thunder on this score. After all it's his pet bugbear!!
  • Options
    perhaps its important to keep boarders for now,until the rest of the world becomes "civilised"?........there's some fuckin nutters out there!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Yeah that's true.

If it were down to me I'd remove all border restrictions.
    :lol:
  • Options
    They're alright when they favour my interests.
    They're bollocks when they don't.
  • Options
    They're alright when they favour my interests.
    They're bollocks when they don't.
    propper quote!
  • Options
    True enough but I also think they exist to show the inhabitants own unique identity in relation to culture and language and shit like that.
  • Options
    I agree with turlough, cultural identity plays also an important part. Culture reminds us we have a shared past, one that all inhabitants of a country identify with.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yes, they are. But they are useful undeniabley, with our current outdated system of dividing ourselves up instead of working together. Think of the progress we could make if we did. If the Russian, Chinese, and American scientists banded together to work on things. Diseases would be cured in days, with the technology and idea sharing!
  • Options
    True enough but I also think they exist to show the inhabitants own unique identity in relation to culture and language and shit like that.

So if we said we wouldn't enforce borders, culture would instantly collapse?

So if we put in a new border, say split the UK 50/50 from left to right, we would have two brand nw cultures?

Bollocks to both ideas.

They aren't even vaguely related.
    I agree with turlough, cultural identity plays also an important part. Culture reminds us we have a shared past, one that all inhabitants of a country identify with.

A shared past that largely consists of trying to get rid of these various contolling forces and/or getting bombed because the people in charge of two or more of these fictions decide we need to be killed in our millions to maintain them.

It's one of the more horrible aspects of this fiction, that for most it becomes a part of their identity.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    So if we said we wouldn't enforce borders, culture would instantly collapse?

So if we put in a new border, say split the UK 50/50 from left to right, we would have two brand nw cultures?

Bollocks to both ideas.

They aren't even vaguely related.

Erm yeh...if it wasn't for the English being such imperialist cunts every single country in the world would have their own language. English wouldn't be the world language it is now.

Culture and countries are related mate.
  • Options
    Erm yeh...if it wasn't for the English being such imperialist cunts every single country in the world would have their own language. English wouldn't be the world language it is now.

"The english" or just those "english" people who Kermit has already suggested use this arbitary fiction to hoodwink others into doing their dirty work for them?

You probably think you are Irish or somesuch, which is just sad, imo.
    Culture and countries are related mate.

Yes, they can be. No they don't need to be.

Why? because the idea of country might never have been invented, but there would still be some sort of culture. Native americans had a culture but no idea of nation. In fact, they flat out didn't get the concept at all, trading beans for manhattan etc. then being totally bewildered when they were attacked when they came back there.
  • Options
    By that definition everything could be said not to exsist, the fact that there are legal and procedural framworks and people regognise it, and feel a part of it prove realy that countries do exsist.

It like to know what else dosnt exsist that everybody thinks does and what does exsist.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    "The english" or just those "english" people who Kermit has already suggested use this arbitary fiction to hoodwink others into doing their dirty work for them?

You probably think you are Irish or somesuch, which is just sad, imo.

Aye the English. The group of people who set up their homes on the island you're living on. Who created their own language and identity. The one's who felt the need colonise half the world. Yeh them.

Yes I am Irish and proud of it thank you very much. I share a common identity with the people on this island. What's so hard for you to understand. I know there's no real such thing as Ireland but can't you see how humans can identify with the concept in their heads? So if I can think of the concept, then it exists on some level to me and that's all I need.
    klintock wrote:
    Why? because the idea of country might never have been invented, but there would still be some sort of culture. Native americans had a culture but no idea of nation. In fact, they flat out didn't get the concept at all, trading beans for manhattan etc. then being totally bewildered when they were attacked when they came back there.

They had no concept of nations but they had a concept of territories. What "belonged" to them.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I know there's no real such thing as Ireland but can't you see how humans can identify with the concept in their heads?

Does that make the 100 million Americans who get pissed on green beer every St Patrick's Day Irish?
  • Options
    By that definition everything could be said not to exsist, the fact that there are legal and procedural framworks and people regognise it, and feel a part of it prove realy that countries do exsist.
    It like to know what else dosnt exsist that everybody thinks does and what does exsist.

Look, it's a giant game of let's pretend that most people confuse with actual reality. There is a real world, it's the one where gravity effects all things equally, light travels at a certain speed for everyone and people who punch sharp metal objects get cut. The physical universe, in other words.

That's the real world, and it really exists.

And there is the other world, the world of human relations, where we make models and maps of the real world to make sense of it and get things done. In the case of countries, a map is being confused with the territory it represents. Counttries maight be a good game to play, it might be a bad one.

For a whole host of reasons a majority of people think that an arbitary system of rules, imaginary lines and laws is actually reality. These reasons are to do with "education", language trickery and last but not least when those things don't work, men with firearms.

The system of "countries" is a game system, like the rules of football or badminton, but there are people with weapons making sure that everyone plays and follows the rules (which they have made up to suit themselves and are exempt from).
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    Does that make the 100 million Americans who get pissed on green beer every St Patrick's Day Irish?

Erm what the fuck are you on about?

I like eating currys, does that make me Indian?
  • Options
    Yes I am Irish and proud of it thank you very much. I share a common identity with the people on this island. What's so hard for you to understand

Simple question for you - how?
    I know there's no real such thing as Ireland but can't you see how humans can identify with the concept in their heads? So if I can think of the concept, then it exists on some level to me and that's all I need.

Of course I can, it's still not real.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Simple question for you - how?

Manneurisms, language, dialect...food, music, dance commonalities. Totally unique to Ireland. Sharing common characeristics with countries close like Scotland, Wales and England to a degree. The people who migrated to these lands all branched out and divided themselves up because of these difference but they are similar in some respects.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

Colonialism wasn’t a purely English thing. Portugal? Spain? France? Holland? :rolleyes: And culturally French colonialism and Russification (in Tsarist Russia) undermined and disregarded individual cultures far more ruthlessly for the most part. While I’m not an apologist for colonialism I don’t think branding the English ‘imperialist cunts’ is particularly constructive, not that childish remarks are atypical for you.
  • Options
    Manneurisms, language, dialect...food, music, dance commonalities. Totally unique to Ireland. Sharing common characeristics with countries close like Scotland, Wales and England to a degree. The people who migrated to these lands all branched out and divided themselves up because of these difference but they are similar in some respects.

Uh huh. :confused:

Go 6 miles in any direction from any point in England or Ireland and the accents will change noticeably. You obviously don't pay much attention to how people talk. And again, if we removed border controls that culture would instantly disparate?

They divided themselves up?

Funny, when I read history i see a parade of murdering bastards dividing up their booty against the will of everyone else, but their force of arms meaning most folks had to put up with it.

The problem with your view is that it assumes the existence of countries and then goes from there. Like other fundies, you stack up your evidence after you have reached the conclusion, not before.
  • Options
    Colonialism wasn’t a purely English thing. Portugal? Spain? France? Holland? :rolleyes: And culturally French colonialism and Russification (in Tsarist Russia) undermined and disregarded individual cultures far more ruthlessly for the most part. While I’m not an apologist for colonialism I don’t think branding the English ‘imperialist cunts’ is particularly constructive, not that childish remarks are atypical for you.

Aye but the last cunts to colonise us where the English so I have every right to call them imperialist cunts....ya big cunt yourself :p
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Uh huh. :confused:

Go 6 miles in any direction from any point in England or Ireland and the accents will change noticeably. You obviously don't pay much attention to how people talk. And again, if we removed border controls that culture would instantly disparate?

They divided themselves up?

Funny, when I read history i see a parade of murdering bastards dividing up their booty against the will of everyone else, but their force of arms meaning most folks had to put up with it.

The problem with your view is that it assumes the existence of countries and then goes from there. Like other fundies, you stack up your evidence after you have reached the conclusion, not before.

Aye the accents change but thats just a further division of language. It's a sign of identity among villages and towns within the country itself. How many Londoners do you know who say "what's the craic?" I can go from one side of Ireland to another and they will all say "what's the craic" doesn't matter about accents. It's tiny things like that that show to me the existence of countries to some degree.
  • Options
    Aye the accents change but thats just a further division of language. It's a sign of identity among villages and towns within the country itself. How many Londoners do you know who say "what's the craic?" I can go from one side of Ireland to another and they will all say "what's the craic" doesn't matter about accents. It's tiny things like that that show to me the existence of countries to some degree.

Great, you've proved the existence of a shared culture. What's that got to do with countries again?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Great, you've proved the existence of a shared culture. What's that got to do with countries again?

It's the name given to the area that shares the same culture.