Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

students who need help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi there

Me and my girlfriend (both students) are wishing to move out together so we can have our own house. Im 23 and feel its time to go and my girlfriend is 20 and is sick of her parents. We dont want to live in halls or share with other people. We earn about £500 p/m each from our part time jobs and £3000 a year from student loans. Can anybody offer advice about benefits or something which could help us in our cause. thanks.

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey deano,
    Welcome to TheSite.org :)

You and your girlfriend are pretty much in the same situation as most students who want to move out of their parent's houses into student housing- but with one major benefit - you have worked out that you want to live together which has the potential to be a great arrangement.

However, there isn't really any easy solution to being able to afford an ideal place. You need to start looking into/at properties which are let especially to students as the rent is usually much more reasonable than other lettings. This website is bound to help you get started. Approach the housing office in your university if you haven't already as they may have a list of properties which local agencies advertise directly to the Uni.

It's important to know your rightswhen entering into a contract and perhaps talk to other students/friends about their experiences.

Some agents include bills in the overall monthly rent cost, while others don't so it's a good idea to be aware of the bills you might need to pay.

Hope this helps - good luck with finding somewhere ;)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    what makes you think you'd be entitled to any benefits?
    They'd get coucil tax exemption for being students and might get housing benefit if their income was low- student loans are counted as income so they prob earn too much but there are things called discretionary payments if there's money left in the kitty. I can't think of any other benefits that would apply here but your uni/college might have a fund that'll help you out and there are charities that fund students in specific circumstances too- your finance office at uni/college will have a list of these.
    You may get council tax reduction or exemption depending on how much study you do and how many hours you work, but I shouldn't expect to be entitled to many other benefits.