Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Brass Eye... a rant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just wanted to take the chance to sound off against the press/political reaction to the edition of Brass Eye, the satirical TV show, on paedophilia.
First rule: NEVER criticise things you know nothing about. Both the culture secretary and the home secretary huffed and puffed with outrage despite the fact that they hadn't watched the programme they condemned.
And please don't follow their lead.
I simply can't see how anyone who actually saw the programme who has a modicum of intelligence could possibly view it as anything other than an utterly brilliant expose of all that is worst about the way our media, politicians and celebrities will jump on any passing bandwagon to get sales, or poltical capital, or attention. Yes, some of the idiots who took part (quote Phil collins: 'Im talking NONCE SENSE'. Moron) may have had good intentions but they should think about what they're saying rather than mindlessly repaeting what's put in front of them.. To say this laughed at child abuse COMPLETELY misses the point: it was a brutally intelligent deconstruction of the hysterical reaction to such crimes. Noone's suggesting paedophilia isn't abominable - but for the papers ot get all self-righteous about Brass eye when they capitalise on such horror to sell more copies beggars belief.

Comments

• Options
    well, in the US this happens all the time. People sometimes even comdem something purely on subject and not even try and find out what it's about. There was a play that my school wanted to put on and because it dealed with racism the administration stoped us from doing it, without even reading it.

This kind of tragedy happens all the time and the only thing we can to is try and voice reason to all the crap others spuw out.
  • Options
    One thing defined the whole issue for me...

The Daily Mail was one of the most outspoken critics of the show. They spouted so much crap about how horrific paedophilia is and how no one should be allowed to make a joke of it.....One page 3 of that very issue they printed pictures of Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice dressed in their swimsuits while on holiday...

It was the very point the show was making...British press is disgustingly hypocritical and insanely sensationalist..
    Im disgusted when I read most British papers these days.

The show was a masterpiece, It wasnt particularly funny but it was very accurate in portraying our media.
  • Options
    the show itself may not have been hugely funny (i watched it, and the jokes were a bit bad taste - except the celebs bit) but what makes it hilarious is the fact that the media 'crusaded' against it in the same way as they did against paedophilia. Chris Morris is therefore by far and away the most gifted TV satirist since, erm, before my time anyway!

actually, the bit with Richard Blackwood sniffing a keyboard (giving out toxic 'susceptibility' vapours) - now that was the funniest thing i've seen in a very long time!

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog:
    The Daily Mail was one of the most outspoken critics of the show. They spouted so much crap about how horrific paedophilia is and how no one should be allowed to make a joke of it.....One page 3 of that very issue they printed pictures of Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice dressed in their swimsuits while on holiday...

Are you suggesting that this picture was printed to excite paedophiles?

There was nothinh hypocritical about it at all. One is a photograph of two members of thr Royal Family on holiday (something printed frequently by this 'news'paper, the other a diatribe against jokes about paedophilia.
    The show was a masterpiece, It wasnt particularly funny but it was very accurate in portraying our media.

I agree and then the press actually made his point for him. I guess he expected that and that it was part of the joke.
  • Options
    Are you suggesting that this picture was printed to excite paedophiles?

No, of course not..Well not intentionally anyway...But I find it immensely hypocritical that they crusade so vehemently against this show on Paedophilia and especially the role of the child actors in the show and then show pictures of very young teenage girls in swimsuits.

"An Englishman's never so natural as when he's holding his tongue." --Henry James