Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sleeping partners

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I suppose this is an idol query again.

I've recently got together with a new partner after a long time of being single. Everything's fine and we get on great but my main problem is trying to sleep. I just can't get used to this having someone else in the bed with me thing and so i end up spending most of the night tossing and turning and generally not getting too much sleep. He's quite a light sleeper so i also tend to wake him up as well.

Did anyone else start off a relationship like this and if you did, did you manage to adjust and get used to it? I'm not too worried about myself but he's got quite a manic job and i know he needs to be getting a good solid nights sleep instead of being woken up every hour. :(

Comments

• Options
    Lol, i couldn't get a proper nights sleep for ages when i started stopping the night at my boyfriends..... although now i feel more comfortable doing so i sleep right through. So slightly unhelpful as i don't really have any solutions.... just time i guess for me.
  • Options
    maybe you need two single beds like in those old 1950's Doris Day American movies
  • Options
    Lol, I always find it hard to sleep with a new partner as you kind of adapt to the way they sleep etc It will be easy soon enough, think the xcitement of someone in ur bed keeping ya up hehe ;)
  • Options
    Yeah you'll get used to it eventually...then you'll be as snug as a bug and won't want to leave the bed at all :D
  • Options
    but if he snores- get seperate beds!
  • Options
    i seem to remember mr. kaff having trouble sleeping with me at first (i can move around lots and talk in my sleep). he's totally fine now though. it's sometimes hard to wake him up.
  • Options
    i quite often have trouble sleeping when it's somewhere other than in my bed, so being with someone else too is a bit harder! my ex bf used to (and still does..) feel bad that i'd never really be able to get a proper night sleep when he stayed over. i don't know why i find it harder to get to sleep, tis weird. i can see why i struggle if i'm sharing a single bed but other than that... :confused:
  • Options
    It takes a while to get used to it, but you will do quite soon.

For me, I find it hard to sleep when I'm alone in the bed now. It feels cold and empty.
  • Options
  • Options
    Thank god it's not just me :blush: I stayed again the other night and whilst i didn't get too great a nights sleep it was an improvement. Although was quite funny as he had a nightmare and woke himself up shouting. I had to apologise for laughing at him. :) I suppose i just feel guilty about waking him but i'm just not used to sharing my bit of the bed with anyone. He tends to end up sleeping right on me as well. So i nick the quilt. :thumb:
  • Options
    i think perhaps part of the reason i struggle to sleep is cos men always hog the bed! :grump:
  • Options
    Fortunately both of us are heavy sleepers, so there is no problem. Then again, in my current accomodation, you'd want to be. The only problems are when we see each other and the next day I have an early start and she doesn't, or vice versa.
  • Options
  • Options
    i find it much more comfortable to sleep with a duvet each

i generally sleep better if im not on my own but i do get kept awake by loud breathing and snoring