Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

weight loss (or inch loss to be more precise...)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive put on so much weight over the past few years and im not happy about it. I eat what i like and when i like at the moment. I eat plenty of fruit and vegetables but im hungry most of the day and eat alot of chocolate, and chocolate spread. I always eat breakfast which is 3 weetabix with banana and skimmed milk; extremely filling and energy dense yet i am hungry by mid morning.

Im slim everywhere apart from my sides (not my hips but kinda each side of my lower back harbours an extremely large amount of blubber which hangs over trousers)

Ive decided to take up light swimming (cant do anything more than that because i have back problems) and im also going to cut out alot of the crap in my diet and replace it with more fruit and vegetables

What i want to know really is how long will it be before i start to see results? I dont expect to just suddenly wake up the way i want to be but ive never been on a sensible diet before (had a few problems in my teens where i just kinda stopped eating and got very thin, but thats not the way i want to go)
I just know that if i dont see any slight results early on that i will lose motivation and give in to the chocolate calling me.

Im not fat, i know that, but im out of proportion and its getting me down.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hrmm.. i went on a crusade to lose some weight last year and it took me aboouut.. 5 and a half months to get down from a size 18 to a 12. so depending on how much you want to lose (which doesnt sound like much!) it 'should' take a lot less than that amount of time!! i would say after a month or so you will see definate results- but whos to know?! each person loses weight at different speeds so its not always easy to judge how long it will take
    wow, thats a really huge amount of weight to lose in 5 months!! well done!

I was happy as a size 10 and im now a size 12 so i guess if i stick to it, judging by your acomplishment it shouldnt take me too long
    im having the same kinda thing as you at the moment blah, ive put on a bit of weight since i moved out of my mum and dads but if i say that to anyone else they dont believe me because im still slim and i have the height to pull it off i guess.

i just want to get my flat tummy back, its mainly my tum and legs i want to lose from. like you, im not fat, im putting on weight because i feel hungry all the time and quite often reach for chocolate! i dont have time to go to the gym at the moment but come the summer that is my plan!

soraliah, how did you lose your weight if you dont mind me asking? well done on your great acheivement!

i lost my weight by (loosely) following weightwatchers!! (did not go to the meetings - just did it at home and weighed myself every friday) . i also went walking for at least half an hour a day, and did sit-ups and some other exercises at home in the mornings.

i think it was the walking every day that made the difference for me!! if i hadnt of done that i dont think i would have lost half of what i did!!

however - since coming to uni i have put on half a stone :impissed:
    i still have a bit of a tummy after losing the weight , but i think its more the case of toning up a bit instead of dieting!!

good luck blah and sugar :D sure you will lose the inches in no time!!
    well obviously with your bad back you're going to have to watch what you eat more than someone say like me, who would be able to go out and exercise to burn it off. are you eating a lot of stodgy carbs?
    *edit*pointless post...question answered.... ignore this....
    as suggested elsewhere - replacing one meal with soup can help a lot - all that liquid makes you feel full and calories are low.
    as suggested elsewhere - replacing one meal with soup can help a lot - all that liquid makes you feel full and calories are low.

eating soup for lunch is already a regular thing i do! good idea in theory but it doesnt fill me up enough and i need 3 slices of bread for dunking
    Blah wrote:
    need 3 slices of bread for dunking

too right! :yum:
    which is even nicer with butter. I discovered peanut better sandwiches are gorgeous in tomato soup!
    katralla wrote:
    which is even nicer with butter. I discovered peanut better sandwiches are gorgeous in tomato soup!

eww don't like the sound of that! :yuck: Love tomato soup with buttery bread, yummy :yum:
    Blah wrote:
    eating soup for lunch is already a regular thing i do! good idea in theory but it doesnt fill me up enough and i need 3 slices of bread for dunking

have you tried eating oatcakes with your soup?
    I'm really not happy with my weight and I hate it. I'm a size 8/10 and I'm 8 stone, which is what I should be for my height. But I hate it. About a year ago I was 7 stone and I was so much happier being underweight. I hate the fact that I have skin to grab. It just feels so disgusting. I eat well, and I'm a vegetarian. I got to aerobics for an hour a week and I walk at least 40 mins every day. Why can't I be smaller?
    x
    IWishIWas wrote:
    I'm really not happy with my weight and I hate it. I'm a size 8/10 and I'm 8 stone, which is what I should be for my height. But I hate it. About a year ago I was 7 stone and I was so much happier being underweight. I hate the fact that I have skin to grab. It just feels so disgusting. I eat well, and I'm a vegetarian. I got to aerobics for an hour a week and I walk at least 40 mins every day. Why can't I be smaller?
    x

No offence but if you were any smaller you would be unhealthily skinny. Your weight is fine the way it is.
    Yeah... I know this... But I hate it...

It's probably due to my low self-esteem thing I've got going on. I know in my head that I just need someone (like a real friend, etc) to tell me that I look good. I don't get that. Ever.

Argh! My head is so confusing!
    I think you need to be able to tell yourself that you look good, and then tell yourself that it doesn't even matter. guageing (sp?) your self-worth by your physical appearance is not the road to happyness, maybe you should seek help if you can't seperate the two...
    katralla wrote:
    I think you need to be able to tell yourself that you look good, and then tell yourself that it doesn't even matter. guageing (sp?) your self-worth by your physical appearance is not the road to happyness, maybe you should seek help if you can't seperate the two...

Agree with you there. If you don't love the way you look then others won't either. Maybe you should seek profesional help.
    I'm trying to deal with my whole self all together at the moment. I've done a big mental clear out and I'm working hard at staying positive. I haven't even considered self-harm in a couple of weeks now.

But I really wanna sort out my physical self now. The mental came first, so now the physical. I walk a lot, to and from lectures, and I've taken up going to the gym once a week for aerobics, which I love. I eat well too.

I think my self-confidence is just a bit battered ~ which I expect coming out of the relationship I ended a couple of months ago.

I guess it just takes time?
    Blah wrote:

If you're hungry drink a glass of water. If you're still hungry after 20 minutes (not thinking about food) then eat. If you're not then you were thirsty not hungry.

Walk lots. I walk to and from work (45 minutes each way) and I'm walking constantly around work. It took me 9 months to lose a stone and a half.

It depends on you though. If you're overweight because you eat too much and don't excersise then eating normally and starting to excersise will make you lose weight quicker than if you're not overweight and eat healthily in the first place...if that makes sense?! 0_o
    Maybe, if you need the motivation, try a diet plan website? There are afew, and you have the options to maintain weight, loose weight, focus on exercise... so on and so forth.

Myu aunty used one which really worked, but she paid a fee. I've recently started on www.sparkpeople.com... which seems quite good to me!
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Maybe, if you need the motivation, try a diet plan website? There are afew, and you have the options to maintain weight, loose weight, focus on exercise... so on and so forth.

Myu aunty used one which really worked, but she paid a fee. I've recently started on www.sparkpeople.com... which seems quite good to me!

Just had a wee look at that site.