Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Low self-esteem?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Firstly I don't wish to sound all woe-is-me... I consider myself a happy individual, but I've been told a few times I have low self-esteem.

Last night I was going out in to London and I dressed lady-like for once, which I never do often and my flatmates were like "whoooaaa" and stuff and I thought they were making fun of me. The fact is that I cannot take a compliment, I am not unhappy with myself but that is because I accept my faults and am cold to them.

But when people compliment me or call me a good friend or flirt with me, I just don't see why. I don't see myself as a loveable person so to speak and this makes relationships very difficult for me too. I feel guilty if I do not put other people first for example and I step down to challenges if somebody else steps in because I know they're more attractive, smart or confident than me.

Now I don't cry myself to sleep, but my Mum has suggested that I have low self-esteem probably because I was bullied and my special needs teacher has said that I don't believe in my abilities.

I mean can anybody relate?

You know... "Life is fine, but I never see myself as good as other people, but I accept I am not as good and know I can do a lot of things if I work"... That kinda thing?

I got a B+ on my first assignment without help from special needs and whilst it's an OK grade I sould be getting A's. Grrrrr

Comments

• Options
    You don't deserve low self esteem.
  • Options
    I think being unable to take a compliment and being understand why people are interested in you are definitely indicative of low self-esteem. Shying away from challenges because of seemingly more attractive "competitors" and feeling bad for not putting others first are things I can definitely relate to, I'm not sure of the reasons behind it, but I just wanted to say you're not alone on those things!

I can't really dole out too much advice, as my own self-esteem isn't great at the moment. I know it's probably useless to say that you're great, and it probably doesn't help at all, but I think you are...I sincerely hope you find a way to get a handle on your feelings. If you do, let me know the big secret. ;)
  • Options
    My self-esteem isn't great either, although I never show it. Like you said its not as though I'm really upset about it and I don't think it makes me uber depressed or anything. I find it so hard to agree with people when they compliment me and always feel a little awkward.

Just want to say you're not alone. x
  • Options
    I consider myself to be absolutely normal (yeah, what a crap working premise), so when someone complimented me, I used to think they must be mistaken. I would then get flustered trying to work out how I had misrepresented myself, and how I could put them right without rudely throwing their compliment back in their face and pointing out they must be stupid to have thought it.

Now, I still don't know how to accept a compliment, so I just say thank you.

I'm no longer so arrogant as to believe I know better than the person complimenting me, so I can appreciate what they say, and get a warm glow from it; and where I can't help but disagree accept that they are expressing their opinion, and take pleasure that they felt comfortable enough to tell me, and that they respected me enough to tell me.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    You don't deserve low self esteem.
    ?
  • Options
    Think about it.

ETA

A while ago, when you asked if "my stuff" could help someone with hidden disabilities, you never said it was you that was looking for help. In your case, yes it can. PM me.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Think about it.

ETA

A while ago, when you asked if "my stuff" could help someone with hidden disabilities, you never said it was you that was looking for help. In your case, yes it can. PM me.
    I have learning difficulties yeah... But I cope fine with them, they're not bad (actually got an article on it under the Real Life bit of thesite). I'm not looking for 'help'... But am curious about your ideas & will PM you.
  • Options
    My advice...stop wearing purple lipstick :razz:

Seriously though...the past means nothing, it's merely something you can reflect on and gain info on for the future. Not something to be dwelled on. Therefore everyone should always be confident about themselves and the future. Works in theory...moonrat, people get compliments and 90% of the time , they mean it and don't take it all awkward like. Feel good about yourself when someone does.
  • Options
    I'm not looking for 'help'... But am curious about your ideas & will PM you.

Exactly why you should. Look forward to it.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think I might have low self-esteem too, but then again I also have evidence against it... :chin:
    Sorry that I can't offer any advice, I'm having pretty much the same trouble (or wish I was).
    Turlough, it's not a simple decision like "Ok, I won't care about the past from now on." Most of it is subconscious for me (and I presume anyone else).
  • Options
    you sound just like me moonrat, thats not exactly going to help you but i just thought i'd let you know that theres other people who feel the same!!

Im particularly bad when it comes to recieving compliments, i just assume that people are lying or saying it because they cant think of anything else to say or something, or trying to get into my knickers!
  • Options
    i can relate to the not believing compliments and not understanding what people see in you thing. my mom says thats why i have trust issues and problems with relationships because i dont understand why theyre with me when there loads of other people out there who are better, and like you said i dont mean to be all woe is me either i simply believe others have more to offer.

like Zalbor says its not as simple just to be like ok im going to be more assertive etc. its hard when youve been the one whos sat in the corner your whole life and i think its even harder if youve been happy enough to do that, to suddenly say "im going to change".
  • Options
    you sound a lot like me...i never really beleive it when people compliment me, and i don't think i stand a chance when my hot looking, ubro confident friends are out there flirting with all the guys.
    my best friend said that she didn't know i had low self esteem till i told her - apparently i don't act like it!...but you're not supposed to act a certain way if you have low self esteem right? i'm pretty happy n content some of the time, but when it comes to going out in public n making friends,meeting guys n making presentations n stuff that's when my self esteem lets me down. i think we have to stop judging ourselves so much....afterall the way you perceive yourself is the 'image' that really counts.....isn't it? :confused:
  • Options
    A lot of people think that shy/quiet = low self esteem, and loud/outgoing = confident person who's happy with themselves. I find that it's often the other way around too. Needing to be the centre of attention all the time, or needing other peoples approval can also be a sign of insecurity. Whereas a quiet person might be completely content with themselves, and have a more 'take me or leave me' attitude.
  • Options
    I have no self esteem but never show it at all (I hope........)and I generally try as hard as I can to not be noticed and just left alone totally.I absolutlely HATE it if anyone gives me a compliment as well and just want to tell them to shut up and fark off........but I have good anger control and can hold practically all feelings in and not show them.
    Like if someone looks like they are gonna come over and speak to me, even if its a girl I fancy, I just wish a hole would open up and swallow me and I feel really relieved when they walk past.But,then I feel shit because Iv got loads of things to say in my mind but cant ............sounds like Iv got a confidence poblem as well!! :banghead:
  • Options
    Link to useful articles

Hi Moonrat and others,

Sorry to hear about your self esteem issues. Lots of people lack self confidence - some as just better at hiding it than others. :)

You might find the following articles on self-esteem a helpful read:

'Twelve Valuable Steps to Raise your self-esteem'

'Building Self-Esteem'
  • Options
    im not good at taking compliments either. i have a low self esteem, so when people say nice stuff to me i just cant take it seriously.. i just figure that theyre saying it to be nice :p
    thats probably why its so hard for me to form relationships.. especially with men :impissed:
  • Options
    So long as you're generally happy the way you are, that's the main thing.

Not everyone accepts compliments or generally acts in the same way - in the same way that some people may see you as having low self esteem, I may see other people as having high self esteem. But what I think doesn't matter.