Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The magic of libraries..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Visited the local library yesterday, for the first time in about 4 years. I had a kiddy card before, but ran up loads of fines for not bringing back various Horrible Histories :D. So I signed up for a new one yesterday, and I'm soo glad I did.

I'd forgotten how great it feels to get things for practically free - I took out an old book I wanted to re-read and 3 cds for 60p each. It just felt so nice to have a browse.. its like a never-ending source of information.

And the dvd/video section is massive and really up-to-date - just £2-3 a week. Thats so cheap, compared to £2.75 a night at the video-rental up the street.

Hehe I sound like a loon. I just think libraries are under-appreciated by my generation. I must be the only one of my mates to have a card. Ahh I need to spread the word.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I used to sit and read in the library for hours!
    They had to give me an adult card when I was 12 because I'd read all the kids books.
    Haven't been for ages. I like owning the books. They look pretty on the bookshelf and I never liked giving them back :p
  • Options
    Heh that reminds me of Matilda.
  • Options
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    I used to sit and read in the library for hours!
    They had to give me an adult card when I was 12 because I'd read all the kids books.
    Haven't been for ages. I like owning the books. They look pretty on the bookshelf and I never liked giving them back :p
    Heh, same as me. I used to go to the library once a week and bring home about 12 books each time. Then I discovered the joy of earning money and now prefer to buy my books as I know they're there then if I want to read them again, which I frequently do, lol
  • Options
    I quite often use my local one, they are just fantastic, the mark of a civilised society.
  • Options
    I don't go to the library anymore, I rarely ever read. When I was younger I'd always get books out every week.
  • Options
    I think our local librarian was one of my best friends growing up, I think I had a bit of a Matilda mentality going on - though without the evil parents and genius brain. I was back in the village I grew up in a few months ago and was chuffed to see she was still there...though the hair was little greyer than last time I saw her. She inspired me to want to become a librarian, well for a wee while anyway. They used to have storytime on Thursday afternoons too...ah, good memories.

I do like to own books, I know what you mean Lolzabeth. I get a little thrill out of looking at my bookshelves and knowing that they're mine, all mine.
  • Options
    I don't go to the library anymore, I rarely ever read. When I was younger I'd always get books out every week.

Why dont you read?
  • Options
    Up until a couple of years ago i used to go pretty much every week and take out about 3/4 books every time.. i think i read almost every book in the kids section.. I'll still go now and again if there's a book i really want to read but i can't seem to get hold of in the shops, or i'm skint or it's something i just want take out the once.. but i don't think mines quite up to the standard of yours..
  • Options
    I totally agree, they have all the best sellers too, I managed to borrow Sarah Waters - The Night Watch , just after it came out and it woudl have cost £17 otherwise
  • Options
    I love the atmosphere in a library....yesterday i was in the local one with my gf, who was doing some research for college, and i felt really, well i guess clever really, hehe, walkin around, finding books, photcopying pages etc etc......maybe im just odd. lol.
  • Options
    I love my local library - it's huge. I used to go there regularly for school projects and things, but now have no excuse to go there really... I've got an updated library card, so I think I'll use it again soon :thumb:

Ilora x
  • Options
    Hehe by the age of 7 I had read my whole (primary school) library - I got a pound from my teacher. And yes, the matilda nickname
  • Options
    Libraries are fantastic.....unless you are expected to spend several hours a day in them researching stuff. :( But the local county places are great, I agree. Last Xmas I finally managed to read some of Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics, as recommended by friends.