Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What PC game should I get?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I just completed the good campaign :/ may have a gander at imperial glory, played the demo and thought the game mechanics were a bit messed up which spoiled a good game (for example, units were too awkward to move around and set up). Cossacks 2, haven't tried, have tried the first one in the series though and thought it was ok but got repetitive quickly :( just build build build and set a waypoint on the enemy base and you win.

Imperial Glory is decent if you can get past certain things like a totally fucked up almost non-existent moral system. It's quite involving though and the patches sort some issues out (slowing game speed down to give orders etc).

Cossacks 2 is different from the previous ones. It's based a lot of more on set-piece battles and turn-based campaign management, although you can opt to play 'skirmish' which is the traditional Cossacks build build build bollocks.

Both have their faults but i've certainly enjoyed them.
    Monserrat wrote:
    Age of Empires II was my favourite out of the AOE series. AOE III was damn good too. I don't know how the numbering works because I thought that Age of Mythology should effectively be called AOE III (being the 3rd in the series), and then the new one to be called AOE IV.

I brought AOE III and World of Warcraft on the same day, on 14.Dec.2005.

AOE and AOM are different series, same dev team and stuff, but different game, i bought the collecters edition myself for my birthday with my birthday money.

it was odd, 40quid for the collecters or 30 for jsut the game so i took collecters and got it for thirty so you can guess i was pretty pleased., no bluetack for that massive poster though.
    I get bored of games very quickly, which can sometimes be expensive :(

hmm... try this then, proper old skool, free, and actually bloody hard even on "easy". but it is good fun, and makes a change from a lot of stuff!

also, one thing I didnt like about the demo of BFME2 was the way the combat worked with the squads, it seemed only the front row of a squad of melee units engaged the enemy, it just wasnt as satisfying as the brutal combat in dawn of war :no:

another thing is the enemy AI has a tendancy of completely ignoring your attacks on it, running past you and going for your structures.... fair play you might say, but not if you engage them half way between your base and thiers and they still ignore you!
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aye, shit AI can be the bane of RTS's... especially Generals too! I mean, I cloak some scorpions... and then, the park somewhere. The enemey drive up, hit them! then drive round hte edge. Wouldn't you guess, that invisible wall, might be a bit dodgey?

Dawn of War rocks though. It's just ace! Long Live Choas! :D Except the heretics. DELETE! Shut up now.#

Edit: On another note... long live commodore games emulated! Winvice forever!
    so someone tell me if its a bad thing that i just ordered star wars empire at war from play.com?

im personally looking forward to it
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    MrG wrote:
    so someone tell me if its a bad thing that i just ordered star wars empire at war from play.com?

im personally looking forward to it

It is good! Very fun and good!
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    It is good! Very fun and good!

Yes, it is good and fun as mentioned above.

However, I've only tried the tutorial. :p

It was expensive though. Now my wallet is empty. :(
    quarfly wrote:
    Yes, it is good and fun as mentioned above.

However, I've only tried the tutorial. :p

It was expensive though. Now my wallet is empty. :(

i got mine from play.com