Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

is there anyway of blocking people?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm a regular user of the boards, but i've registered another identity to post this query so i can remain anonymous, for reasons that you may be able to guess by the nature of the post. i want to know if there is anyway of preventing a particular user from seeing your posts and knowing your online. i know thats probably unlikely but i wanted to make sure. i know you can be invisible so your name doesn't appear in the online users list, but if you make a post then its pretty obvious you're around, and there maybe some people you would rather didn't know this if you can understand what i mean. i would rather i didn't have to come out and say my reasons for wanting to do this unless it's totally necessary. anyway thanks guys.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    not as far as i know, but if it's for sensitive posts that you don't want someone reading, why not just use this anonymous i.d.?

i know that's what a lot of other users do
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    No.

You can put someone as ignore but they can still see you.
    Welsh Jemz wrote:
    not as far as i know, but if it's for sensitive posts that you don't want someone reading, why not just use this anonymous i.d.?

i know that's what a lot of other users do

Really? How many user accounts on here are sock puppets then??
    Really? How many user accounts on here are sock puppets then??
    Mine, obviously :D
    Loads probably. I have 2 as well.
    thanks. i thought that was going to be the answer, but i thought i'd check anyway. i suppose i need to come up with a plan B :(
    yeah i have a different one too. x
    If its because of something dodgy, like they are perving on you and you dont want them to see you online in case they do it more you could always report it to the mods?
    yeah well i thought about that but it seems a bit harsh because there not being unpleasant or harrassing or anything like that. i cant really go into details because i dont really want them to read this and guess i am talking about them. i spose i need to just be brave and deal with it otherwise it will stop me using the boards completely and i dont want that.
    maybe you could ask the mods anyway, just to see if theres anything that can be done?
    Thats understandable. If you want someone to chat to about it, drop me a PM if you like :)
    ah thanks guys. i'm gonna give it a couple of days and see how it goes but i might pm the mods and ask their advice. i dont want to overreact and be all paranoid but these last few days i havent wanted to use the boards which is a shame as i usually really enjoy it.
    if you ever feel uncomfortable in using the boards at all, then the person in question is definately doing something wrong towards you, speak with a mod

although you cant block a user from seeing your posts, you can go into the user control panel and set yourself to invisible mode, which means that they cant tell you are online
    "Annabel", I'm sorry if I intimidated or upset you earlier but I didn't mean to appear sinister and I'm sorry you feel the way you do. I sincerely just wanted to know what colour underwear you're wearing. The only reason I PMed the question 400 times was because I thought they weren't getting through :hyper:
    You can't block anyone, as even if you could somehow block out a "user" they could just log out.
    Brave Dave wrote:
    "Annabel", I'm sorry if I intimidated or upset you earlier but I didn't mean to appear sinister and I'm sorry you feel the way you do. I sincerely just wanted to know what colour underwear you're wearing. The only reason I PMed the question 400 times was because I thought they weren't getting through :hyper:
    sarcastic or not
    that really doesnt help at all
    oh yeah. duh, how thick am i to not realise that. really i need to stop being chicken shit and tell this person that i am not comfortable with their conduct, its just that i am a wuss. thanks guys :)
    I'm sure someone only asked this question about a week ago anyway.
    MrG wrote:
    sarcastic or not
    that really doesnt help at all

You're telling me. Four hundred times and I didn't even get an answer.

Time for phase 2, me thinks.

*climbs tree with binoculars and waits patiently*
    Brave Dave wrote:
    You're telling me. Four hundred times and I didn't even get an answer.

Time for phase 2, me thinks.

*climbs tree with binoculars and waits patiently*

if that was indeed you that has been hassling the origional poster then you are sick. if you are just being sarcastic, you are just plain insensitive
    plain insensitive I would say :yes:
    Yeah, you got me.

I apologise for not being brought to tears by the tragic story of a girl wanting to hide from someone who is "not being unpleasant or harrassing or anything like that" but maybe that's just because I'm a hardened veteran of the e-world who has seen so much death and destruction that I'm now desensitised to the horror that is people "not being unpleasant or harrassing".

Annabel, my advice is if there's anything you don't want someone else to read or know about you then don't post it on a public forum on the Internet. If they PM you or communicate with you some other way and make you feel uncomforatble then ignore them. It really is that easy.

If you want to talk about this in depth with me for 5 hours as well as your hopes, dreams and aspirations then PM me and I'll give you an e-hUgZ.
    Brave Dave wrote:
    Yeah, you got me.

I apologise for not being brought to tears by the tragic story of a girl wanting to hide from someone who is "not being unpleasant or harrassing or anything like that" but maybe that's just because I'm a hardened veteran of the e-world who has seen so much death and destruction that I'm now desensitised to the horror that is people "not being unpleasant or harrassing".

Annabel, my advice is if there's anything you don't want someone else to read or know about you then don't post it on a public forum on the Internet. If they PM you or communicate with you some other way and make you feel uncomforatble then ignore them. It really is that easy.

If you want to talk about this in depth with me for 5 hours as well as your hopes, dreams and aspirations then PM me and I'll give you an e-hUgZ.

some people are fickle on the internet, and it might not be the content a users posts that they are concerned about, just that they are getting stalked or something, as you said you might be a hardened person of the e-world, but a lot of the people here are not, you could easily do away with a lot of the rules on here, and the place would still get along swimmingly, but they are there because of the kind of place this site is, a site of support and advice, and being plain insensitive like that is just plain stupid
    No, I wouldn't say it's stupid. That makes it sound like my posts could cause someone to get injured or that it didn't make sense through lack of grammar. It's the wrong adjective for the situation. I'd say it was just insensitive and even then, Annabel knew it wasn't me who was non-harrassing her so really no one was any worse off.

You never know, someone who didn't find my tongue-in-cheek post to be omgwtfhanghim offensive might have even found it a bit funny. Maybe even raised a smirk. Perhaps even a mild chortle. Guffawing is probably too far but I think a titter or more isn't out of the question.

If Annabel was being sent nasty PMs or being threatened or something then it would be a different matter but given that Annabel has admitted the mystery guy hasn't actually been unpleasent or harrassed her you can't be surprised that I didn't find it overwhelmingly serious and rushed to her assistance.

It would be a lot better if Annabel said what the non-harrasser was actually doing to non-harrass her. Also, I'd be interested to know Annabel's age. I suspect she's about 12. Not that I condone harrassment of minors, it's just that c'mon, it's the Internet and if they can't cope with being non-harrassed and the idea that strangers can read what they type then really, the net isn't the best place for them to be.

*nods*
    Brave Dave wrote:
    No, I wouldn't say it's stupid. That makes it sound like my posts could cause someone to get injured or that it didn't make sense through lack of grammar. It's the wrong adjective for the situation. I'd say it was just insensitive and even then, Annabel knew it wasn't me who was non-harrassing her so really no one was any worse off.

You never know, someone who didn't find my tongue-in-cheek post to be omgwtfhanghim offensive might have even found it a bit funny. Maybe even raised a smirk. Perhaps even a mild chortle. Guffawing is probably too far but I think a titter or more isn't out of the question.

If Annabel was being sent nasty PMs or being threatened or something then it would be a different matter but given that Annabel has admitted the mystery guy hasn't actually been unpleasent or harrassed her you can't be surprised that I didn't find it overwhelmingly serious and rushed to her assistance.

It would be a lot better if Annabel said what the non-harrasser was actually doing to non-harrass her. Also, I'd be interested to know Annabel's age. I suspect she's about 12. Not that I condone harrassment of minors, it's just that c'mon, it's the Internet and if they can't cope with being non-harrassed and the idea that strangers can read what they type then really, the net isn't the best place for them to be.

*nods*

except this is supposed to be a place where people like that can come to

and the problem i have with it, is that we shouldnt be smirking at a matter like this
    Look, I'm honestly not after an argument on all this and I didn't intend to upset or offend anyone earlier. This thread is quickly becoming a ridiculous and blown-waaaay-out-of-proportion mess. However, like I said, nothing has actually happened other than Annabel realising that you can't filter "nice" and "not nice" people out of the anonymous audience of the Internet, especially on something as open as a forum.

She hasn't been harrassed. She hasn't been threatened. She hasn't come to any harm. She's just concerned that she has no real control over who reads the stuff she writes. Well my advice, as I have already pointed out, is don't post anything you're not prepared for anyone in the world to read. It's as simple and as wonderful as that. If you don't want someone's attention then ignore them and they can't do anything about it. If they become sinsiter and threatening then report them. But until then, ignore them and get on with your e-life and all the beauty that it holds.

Peace to you all.

*does a jig*

Oh and I wasn't intending anyone to smirk at the fact a little girl is distressed on the Internet. I was intending them to smirk at the ridiculousness of the situation i.e. she's "not being harrassed".
    Brave Dave wrote:

*snort*

If it's wrong to laugh, I don't want to be right. :yeees:
    Brave Dave wrote:

Not often I physically laugh out loud when on the internet. I'm not saying that I find anything in this thread amusing, but... :).

I'm quite paranoid now. I wonder if I've done something to offend someone. I don't think I've hassled anyone, I don't think I've done anything wrong anywhere(apart from laughing out loud a little while ago), but could my intentions have been misinterpreted somewhere down the line?

OP - If someone is doing something that you feel uncomfortable with, tell them. It's much simpler than trying to hide from them...
    ok i'll try and put an end to this madnes. i actually found daves posts very funny and was not upset because like he says nothing bad has happened to me so theres not really a situation to be insensitive about. tbh dave is right that it is ridiculous but then i didnt make the post asking for sympathy or ehugs it was only to ask if there is a way to deal with the problem of someone who is making a nuisance of themselves because i can't be arsed to do it myself tho obviously i have to and dave your quite clearly right the solution is to ignore them which i fully intend to do. its not that i am posting things of a personal nature that i dont want this person to read its that if i post then they know i'm online whether i'm invisible or not.
    It would be a lot better if Annabel said what the non-harrasser was actually doing to non-harrass her.
    would rather not do this as the person might guess i'm talking about them. but its certainly nothing thats traumatised me in anyway. i'm not about to join an internet abuse survivors group. this thread has gone a bit out of proportion to the scale of the problem.
    Also, I'd be interested to know Annabel's age. I suspect she's about 12.
    sadly for me i'm in my 30s. so i suppose i'm old enough to tell someone whos pissing me off where to go by now. :blush:

well dave i am sorry to have bothered you with the petty problems of my ridiculous situation ;) thanks for making me laugh about it though.
    everyone else especially MrG thanks for your support :)

ps click to see more in case you are worried it is not you who this post is about!
    Fuck fuck fuck dick dick haha dick dick bla bla black sheep.