Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Foundation/problem skin

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Merely an ideal query really for those of you who have problem skins e.g. discolouration, spots etc.
What sort of foundation do you use. Brand and that sort of thing.

I ask because until recently i've just been using the boots own range and a body shop powder but because of recent problems my skin looks awful and these no longer tend to be good enough to cover up problems. I'd rather get people's opinions from off here as i realise that whilst the make-up counter ladies can help that they're there to sell their own brands.
I've seen a range by neautrogena for problem skin which is a foundation but never known anyone who really uses it.

Comments

• Options
    Mine is a nice cheap and easy one but i find it works a treat!

it is Rimmel London, clear complexion, coverstick/corrector. It is in a pale turquoise little tube and is like a stick ( like lipstick). It helps spots to clear up aswell, i have always liked it.
  • Options
    I tend to doff a lot on, which I know is bad, but it's better to be plastic than spotty, I guess. I often squeeze out a little foundation before I go to bed at night, and by the morning it's hardened and works as a good concealer.
    I will be revisting this thread though, as I have the same kinda problem with discolouration.
  • Options
    Clinique Continuous Coverage. My friend's mum is a Dermatologist and raves about it.

It might also be worth speaking to someone on one of those posho counters - they'll give you the hard sell re: their product range but if you're lucky they might know what they're talking about. :)
  • Options
    if I'm having a bad skin day then its all about the physicians formula. Covers grand but doesn't make you look like your wearing a pound of make up, or hardly any at all.
  • Options
    Ive used loads of different brands.
    Best brand i think is Maybelline. I do 10hour shifts and want it to stay good all day so I use the Everfresh liquid concealer and a little Everfresh foundation, then i use the Dream Matte Mouse over the top. The mouse is great, makes your skin feel really soft, and you only need a surprisingly little bit.

Rimmel Hydrasense is good too but i find is hard to match the right colour to my skin.

Mac spf15 foundation is really good too, covers well without feeling think, but Maybelline is just as good and not half as expensive
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    Ive used loads of different brands.
    Best brand i think is Maybelline. I do 10hour shifts and want it to stay good all day so I use the Everfresh liquid concealer and a little Everfresh foundation, then i use the Dream Matte Mouse over the top. The mouse is great, makes your skin feel really soft, and you only need a surprisingly little bit.

I use Everfresh in nude, and it's nice because its natural looking, and doesn't tend to rub off or look blotchy. But it doesn't have much coverage, which is why I need so much concealer.
  • Options
    you shouldn't really be putting foundation over spots. :no:
  • Options

Kinda hard not to, get to the root of the problem and start clearing up your spots first. Take off ALL make up, use a cleanser/toner like Clean and Clear or Clearasil afterwards then a light oil free moisturiser

And then i use No7 Stay perfect foundation
  • Options

Problem is it's a vicious circle. When you work front of house with customers there's nothing worse than glaringly obvious bad skin to make you feel uncomfortable. But as you said you shouldn't really put stuff over them either. Catch 22 really.

I think i might try and pick up a concealer but one with a tea tree base that might be better for me.
  • Options
    To be honest, the whole idea of foundation and powder is to enhance the natural condition of the skin, not to cover it up. Good skin is the basis to any makeup routine, so to be frank, it'd be better to clear your skin up and get it looking and feeling healthy, instead of piling makeup on it to cover it....

Ilora x
  • Options
    To be honest, the whole idea of foundation and powder is to enhance the natural condition of the skin, not to cover it up. Good skin is the basis to any makeup routine, so to be frank, it'd be better to clear your skin up and get it looking and feeling healthy, instead of piling makeup on it to cover it....

Ilora x

Unfortunately if you have a hormone problem then cleaning the skin up doesn't always help i'm afraid. I cleanse, tone and cream it afterwards but due to the fact my hormones are fucked i'm afraid even trying to look after my skin doesn't work 100%.
  • Options
    Have you talked to your GP about it? There are lots of medications for hormone related skin problems...

Ilora x
  • Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    The problem with covering up spots is that you have to be careful that you don't just slap foundation and concealer on - this can make your spots look even more obvious!

This is why it's good to choose a really light one, or even a tinted moisturiser, and do some touching-up with a decent concealer.

The makeup artist John Gustafson told me that the make-up item most worth spending money and research-time on is foundation (the least being mascara cos you should throw it away after three months anyway)

It's a bit of a myth that putting makeup on over spots will make your skin worse, as long as your skin and applicators are clean. The makeup can even act as a barrier against daily grime getting on to your skin. Look out for salicylic acid in the ingredients list of your makeup - this chemical helps to break down acne-causing oil on the skin.
  • Options
    Have you talked to your GP about it? There are lots of medications for hormone related skin problems...

Ilora x

Yes thanks. It was merely the make-up side i was wondering about.