Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Am I making a huge mistake?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jon_UK wrote:
    Well done on the decision, you'll have a great time :thumb:
    Thank you very much.
    and next time, if you report someone, its best not to antagonise everyone by announcing to the world that you have reported someone and who it is, if it is genuine the mods will deal with it and then the matter can rest after its settled
    MrG wrote:
    and next time, if you report someone, its best not to antagonise everyone by announcing to the world that you have reported someone and who it is, if it is genuine the mods will deal with it and then the matter can rest after its settled
    With all due respect, please don't patronise me.
    IM NOT BLOODY PATRONISING YOU!

and i dont see that theres any respect due when you launch one off at me for trying to help

the reporting process is there because its an anonymous (to other users) process, im saying that by telling the whole world and his dog about who you have been reporting, not only antagonises the person you have reported (especially when its genuine), it also defeats the whole idea of the reporting process

thats all i meant, why do you have to be so wound up when im offering advice that actually helps you
    MrG wrote:
    thats all i meant, why do you have to be so wound up when im offering advice that actually helps you
    What help? You haven't said anything helpful since page two!
    all i said was that if someone is having a go at you, and its annoying you, and its breached the rules, report them, but dont tell the whole world on the boards that you are going to

1.) it defeats the idea of a closed reporting system
    2.) it shows other users how badly it they have got to you
    3.) other users will jump on you when they see how badly you may or may not have been effected

if thats not advice on how to try and cut down on hassle you get in here, i honestly dont know what is
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    MrG wrote:
    IM NOT BLOODY PATRONISING YOU!

and i dont see that theres any respect due when you launch one off at me for trying to help

the reporting process is there because its an anonymous (to other users) process, im saying that by telling the whole world and his dog about who you have been reporting, not only antagonises the person you have reported (especially when its genuine), it also defeats the whole idea of the reporting process

Your getting reported for that, and SG's mum is going to ring your mum and get you sent to bed for it without any supper and oh my god what a mess :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    MrG wrote:
    if thats not advice on how to try and cut down on hassle you get in here, i honestly dont know what is
    I asked for advice about university in this thread, nothing else. If you want to give me advice about other issues, this isn't the place to provide it.
    You mentalist, are you ever going to grow up and just make your own decisions in life, 1983, spot on, and so has everyone else been since then telling you to stop being such a raving nutjob.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I asked for advice about university in this thread, nothing else. If you want to give me advice about other issues, this isn't the place to provide it.

You're a nice kid SG, but you really dont do yourself favors with things like this.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You mentalist, are you ever going to grow up and just make your own decisions in life, 1983, spot on, and so has everyone else been since then telling you to stop being such a raving nutjob.
    Your getting reported for that too, YUO FIEND1@!!@"" :P

:rolleyes:
    stargalaxy wrote:

then if this is the place for university advice, why dont you heed my advice and stop mouthing off about reporting people in any threads at all, and keep it to the enclosed reporting system like i said

double standards and all that jazz :rolleyes:
    JsT wrote:
    Your getting reported for that too, YUO FIEND1@!!@"" :P

:rolleyes:
    I hope so.
    Okay, it's a fair cop. 1983, I admit I interpreted what you said wrongly when I first read it, I apologise.

I'm not completely certain where the idea comes from that I'm asking other people to make decisions for me. I'm well-aware I'm the one who's deciding, and I already have decided. What I was asking was, at the time of posting, about reasons for going to university. Perhaps it was my fault as this wasn't communicated very well. But as 1983 said "bite the bullet". And I shall.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    But as 1983 said "bite the bullet". And I shall.

Good stuff. :)
    1983 wrote:
    Good stuff. :)
    OK, I know you and me haven't exactly got on in the past. I hold a lot of the blame for that, I must admit. When you posted, I tended to think "oh, she's just attacking me for the sake of attacking me, as per usual". I think I was rather blinded to the fact that, maybe you were trying to help me out.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I think I was rather blinded to the fact that, maybe you were trying to help me out.

I was really, there because Uni is a HUGE step. It's at least 2 years out of your life where you control things.

And if I can be honest, I don't think you've had much control of your life in a positive side and I think that this'll compliment your life if you go for it. :)
    1983 wrote:
    I was really, there because Uni is a HUGE step. It's at least 2 years out of your life where you control things. And if I can be honest, I don't think you've had much control of your life in a positive side and I think that this'll compliment your life if you go for it. :)
    Well, I'll be there for three years, so I don't want to get this decision, of where and when I go, wrong. But on the other hand, I've been scaring the hell out of myself, partly because of a fear of the unknown, and partly because I don't have a huge amount to do, (I don't start my new job until April) so my mind's been playing around.

Not quite sure what you meant by "much control of your life in a positive side" but that might be to do with the fact I don't think that much about my past these days. I'm just trying to move forwards, albeit with limited success. My open days are coming up in just under two weeks time, so I suppose I'll be able to sort this out after visiting.

This feels strange, never thought the two of us would stop fighting! :p:)
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Not quite sure what you meant by "much control of your life in a positive side" but that might be to do with the fact I don't think that much about my past these days.

I mean that you had it rough a while back and now it's time to get things on the up for you. Making up for lost time, if you will.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    This feels strange, never thought the two of us would stop fighting! :p:)

Does a bit! :nervous: Hah.
    1983 wrote:
    I mean that you had it rough a while back and now it's time to get things on the up for you. Making up for lost time, if you will.
    Yeah, I see what you mean now.

:)
    Man, there's so much love in this room! :D
    If you don't like it then quit - there's nothing to lose, everything to gain. A lot of previously trouble peopled 'find themselves' at uni so ignore nerves and go for it. You'd be daft not to.

Move onto campus and you're living with 100s and 100s of diffferent people you've never met before. That's plenty of opportunity to get yourself sorted out.
    Thanks for the advice in this thread, we eventually managed to sort out the "dispute" between me and 1983, I'm glad of that. So, why am I posting again? I'm not having second thoughts again. No, I'm certain this is the right way forward.

However, I've got a more practical problem. I've applied to four universities. When I did, I knew I wouldn't have the funds to go to all four open days, but no matter, I thought I'd go to my top two choices instead. As things stand though, I can't even afford to do that. When I talked to my mum about going to Manchester, she asked me what the train fare was, I replied £27.50, she replied "oh, I'll pay that!", which was very kind of her. So I'll be going to that one.

I wanted to go to the Bristol one too, but as I say, I can't afford a train fare of £70 and a place to stay for the night. Quite simply, there's no way I can do it, and the next open days aren't until June, this when I need to have made my final decision by May 5th, according to UCAS.

I just wanted to rant here, it's far from ideal, isn't it? I don't want to, but I might end up having to go to a university I've never visited in a city I've never been to. :(
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I wanted to go to the Bristol one too, but as I say, I can't afford a train fare of £70 and a place to stay for the night. Quite simply, there's no way I can do it, and the next open days aren't until June, this when I need to have made my final decision by May 5th, according to UCAS.
    :(

Hey SG,
    Bristol is relatively close to Wales isn't it? Have you looked at National Express prices compared to train - I don't know for sure but they're usually cheaper and you could probably come back on the same day so you wouldn't have to fork out to stay over night somewhere.
    **Helen** wrote:
    Hey SG,
    Bristol is relatively close to Wales isn't it? Have you looked at National Express prices compared to train - I don't know for sure but they're usually cheaper and you could probably come back on the same day so you wouldn't have to fork out to stay over night somewhere.
    The nearest to me is Manchester, and that's three hours away via train alone. I live in possibly the worst part of Wales for transport. Bristol's in the South West, if I lived towards Cardiff, it would be no problem, but as I'm in the north, I'm fucked. There's no way I could get back on the same day. Sorry. :(

EDIT: Having thought about it for a few minutes, I notice I would still save some money, even if I had to take a train over to Manchester. I'll have another look at this...
    national express runs 24 hours a day though i think, so it may be possible for you to get there and back in one day.
    Kat_B wrote:
    national express runs 24 hours a day though i think, so it may be possible for you to get there and back in one day.
    The open day is on March 18th, 10am til 4pm. These are figures from their site;

To get there and back in the same day, I'd have to catch a bus from Manchester at 3.55am to get to Bristol by 9.15am. To get back home, I'd have to catch the 8.05pm to get to Manchester by 1.10am. Bear in mind it takes three hours just to get to Manchester (from Bangor), and three hours back. Oh yes, and one hour in the car to get to Bangor on each side. Add everything on, it means it would take around 30 hours.
    Can you drive? Because if you can you could get insurance on your parents car for a day and drive, or hire a car.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Can you drive?
    No.
    Literally spent ten mins with the national rail timetable in front of me and the best I can do for a day trip to Bristol from Bangor March 18th:

02.18 Virgin West Coast - Bangor to Bimringham New Street (05.08)
    05.30 Central Trains - Birmingham New Street to Severn Tunnel Jn (07.39)
    07.54 Wessex Trains - Severn Tunnel Jn to Bristol Temple Meads (08.16)

Virgin Value Ticket (pre-reserved) £20.00 single

And return:
    16.50 Wessex Trains - Bristol Temple Meads to Newport (17.20)
    17.34 Arriva Trains Wales - Newport to Bangor (21.46)

Apex Single (pre-reserved) £17.00

Total: £37.00.

Going down is a bit of a killer but your quite lucky in the regard there is a overnight train from Bangor. Its the best I can get for you.