Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hot Vs Cute

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, so I called a good friend of mine cute, but he said I shouldn't call him that because that means that he can't be hot. But I said he was both, because he genuinely can be. But he said that people are either one or the other.

Anyways, was wondering what you people thought. Can people be both? Or only one or the other? What does it mean? Does it even matter?
Just curious cause I'm most often called cute rather than hot...

Thanks!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    People can definitely be both to me. I don't think it matters too much, as both are positive things. If I said a guy was cute it would be like "Yeah, hes cute. I'd do him." If I said hott it would be more like "Yeah, hes hott. I want to rip his clothes off right now." But personally I see people differently depending on what mood I'm in, so someone who was cute yesterday could be hott today.

Did that even make sense?
    Some people can be hot, some people can be cute, some can be both.

It depends who's looking aswell tbh.

They both mean you're good looking, cute just means in a less sexual way.
    Yeah, I guess that all makes sense. Tis what I thought. Just some people seem to have pretty strong opinions of it! Heheh.

Also... what about if a guy calls you kid? I like it, but I don't know what it really means. Like, what kind of placing it puts you in o.O
    I use the words as synonyms, they mean the same to me...it all depends what you mean by it.
    they're both compliments so tell him to stop being silly. :p
    Still, being called hot would be a lot nicer than someone just calling you cute would it not?
    i unfortunately (well, sort of unfortunately, its better than ugly :p) am aparently cute according to the photo thread round 7 comments
    Man, I wish I was hot...
    whether you're called cute or hot, it's better than being called ugly isnt it?
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'd say people can be both cute and hot.

About the "kid" thing... I call people "kid" sometimes (I used to do it all the time) and in my case at least it doesn't mean much... I use it in pretty much the same way others would say "mate" or "pal".
    People can definetly be hot and cute, in fact I think it is a perfect combination ;)
    I agree with you. There are times when my boy is hot as and i want him then and there, and there are times when he's really cute, acting and looking cute.
    IWishIWas wrote:
    Okay, so I called a good friend of mine cute, but he said I shouldn't call him that because that means that he can't be hot. But I said he was both, because he genuinely can be. But he said that people are either one or the other.
    I think his problem was that a girl can call you cute, and not necessarily find you attractive, whereas if you'd said he's hot then you would almost certainly have fancied him.

But on girls especially, you can definitely be both (Sarah Michelle Gellar anyone?). I think the difference is more about how you act. If you walk around like you own the room and like you know you're attractive, then you're hot. If you're a bit more shy and quiet and dress less sexily, but just as girly, then you are cute. And if you're small, then you're probably cute by default.
    Well people can be attractive, have a cute side to their personality and also have a sexy side.
    Can definitly be both :yes:

in fact, i think it would be a perfect combination
    I don't know.

Coz girls can act cute or be cute but then have hot bodies or dress in something hot, making them hot.

For guys its tricky coz over here in the UK I think cute for a guy means a cute, sweet nice guy but not a hot guy, who is a different thing but in the USA I think the term "cute" for a guy can mean hot and they are into you.
    I'd rather be called cute than hot, to be honest. Neither is insulting, though. But I know a lot of blokes who are miffed when called "cute" or "sweet", probably understandably so.

Walkindude's right about the difference in "cute" in the US and UK, I think.

Anyway, you can be both, most definitely.
    Cutes better than being neither hot or cute :p

I personally would rather be called hot though :thumb:
    I'm definitely cute. However my boyfriend thinks I'm hot. It just depends on perspective.
    Everyone all makes so much sense. So that's awesome; yay!

I was just wondering, anyways since I don't remember the last time anyone ever mentioned that I was hot. Hmm...
    Damn my height!
    What about the word "sweet"??
    Sweet + Attractive = Cute.

Sweet is nothing to do with looks though.
    Indeed.

But if a girl calls you "Sweet" does that mean she could be into you, or not?
    Walkindude wrote:
    Indeed.

But if a girl calls you "Sweet" does that mean she could be into you, or not?

Generally I'd say it's the kiss of death for any romantic notions you may have. At least with the people I know, it's a way of placing you firmly in the "friends" camp.

Different people will think differently, though. ;)
    Possibly. Maybe if she's stroking you arm or something while she's saying it. If you've just had a big heart-to-heart chat about something and she says "your such a sweet guy" then you're definitely in the friend zone, unless your actually seeing each other at the time.
    hmmm

I have just had a few girls say to me is all, some complete strangers so just wondered how it was you know.
    Either way doesn't matter.

On a personal note, girls are always saying I'm hot and sexy :naughty: you know how we do haha
    I got called hot a couple of times last night. But it was from the guy that I like's best friend. Meh. Why not the guy I like?

But then, if I like someone, I guess I don't go letting them know so blantantly.
    What about gorgeous? thats a good thing right?
    I was coming home from work the other day when i bumped into a girl who lives across the road from me with a couple of her mates and she said something along the lines of 'hes gorgeous isnt he' meaning me, and her mates just kind of said yeah and agreed, i got a right chuff on :D
    Unless you're in mongland.

An underrated holiday destination.

I'd rather be cute than hot. Being hot sounds like far too much work. And seems to involve stupid hair cuts.