Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

when is a girl a women?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok this is kind of a strange question, but i was talking with one of my lodgers last night while both drinking. And one of the questions that came up was this;

When is a girl no longer a girl but a women/lady? My female lodger couldn't even think of an answer

How do you female members of TheSite like to be called? I mean for guys its easy, their can be called, boys, men/man, guy, bloke. but females are a little different if you dont want to offend them.

For example calling a 18yr old you could get away with calling her a girl, but a women of say 40-50 wont want to be called a girl would she.
Lady sounds too formal.
Girl sounds like your talking to/about a small girl.
Women sounds i dont know doesn't sound right (also generalising)

The other terms i can think of sound insulting (ie chick, bird etc...) PS i dont use any of them.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i'm 26 and i prefer woman or lady, although i'm not much of a lady lol
    Well i'm only 19 so don't mind girl, especially as i still feel like a kid!
    Same as lacymay, I'm 19 so don't mind being called girl as i still feel a bit like a kid.
    Although i probably won't feel like that in a few years.... also i think it depends who is calling you it :chin:
    I'm 22 and find being called a 'girl' derrogatory.

I prefer 'woman' or 'lady'.

To me a 'girl' is somebody who has not started their menstrual cycle.
    Woman, that's what I am after all. I'm not particularly offended by lady, but it has negative connotations to some.

"Your Highness" is also acceptable, though the obvious solution is just to call everyone "mate". ;) :thumb:
    I'm only 19, and find that girl is fine.

However, When I'm in my 20's I won't want to be called girl, I'd rather be called a Lady.

Ilora x

ETA; It does annoy me though, on the news they say 'an 18 year old man was arrested today' and 'an 18 year old girl was found dead'.... why should an 18 yr old male be called a man, and an 18yr old female a girl?
    ETA; It does annoy me though, on the news they say 'an 18 year old man was arrested today' and 'an 18 year old girl was found dead'.... why should an 18 yr old male be called a man, and an 18yr old female a girl?

Yeah, there's a bit of a double standard. I think "girl" is acceptable to many people for a lot longer than "boy" is. :chin:
    Poster_19188.jpg
    I have no problem being called a 'girl' at 19, but I think that when I am 20 plus I would like to be called a 'woman'

At work our team consists of women aged 38, 27, 24 and me and we are still called 'the girls' that get on my nerves a bit.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    well im 21, and i dont particularly mind any; girl, woman or lady. however if im out and someone says to a little child, mind the nice lady, it does freak me out a bit, because i do feel like i am about 14 still!
    Cos the 'girl' was a victim, and the 'man' was a criminal. All sensationalist media crap. It annoys me when you read a headline saying 'teenage girl killed' and it turns out she's 18 or 19.
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    well im 21, and i dont particularly mind any; girl, woman or lady. however if im out and someone says to a little child, mind the nice lady, it does freak me out a bit, because i do feel like i am about 14 still!
    :lol:
    Im 24 and I dont really like getting called lady, I like to be a girl :)

A boy of about 16 said to me this morning "oi missus huv you goat the time?". I hate getting called missus, makes me feel like my Mum.
    ginge86 wrote:
    At work our team consists of women aged 38, 27, 24 and me and we are still called 'the girls' that get on my nerves a bit.
    Yeah that one of the reasons i started thinking about it. The youngest of the 5 women in my office is 32 i think (maybe 33) and oldest is in her mid 40's. But i've noticed that most of the staff refer to them as "The girls" even heard them refer to themselves as the girls. Ok they do act like their girls sometimes. When some of the staff from our St. Petersburg office come over its even worse.
    Just one of those thoughts that popped into my head.
    Girl is fine, it always make me feel old at work when people go to their kids 'ask that lady there' or 'say thank u to nice lady' and i find woman a pretty crap word.
    I'm nearly 21 and I'm still a girl hehe :rolleyes: It made me laugh when I was working in a supermarket and mothers would go 'give the money to the nice lady' to their kids, cos I didn't feel like a lady. Ladies are old! :yeees:
    Haha same beans :D
    Im 24 and I dont really like getting called lady, I like to be a girl :)

A boy of about 16 said to me this morning "oi missus huv you goat the time?". I hate getting called missus, makes me feel like my Mum.
    Allright calm dan missusss :p:D

Err yeah cause she was well irate?
    i hate being called woman or lady. makes me feel about 70 :(

i felt pretty elderly a couple of years back when my doctor stopped referring to me as a 'young lady' and started using 'woman' instead.
    kaffrin wrote:
    i hate being called woman or lady. makes me feel about 70 :(

With you on that one. I'm 25 yet i still get called a girl. I always find it strange when people say "it's for that lady over there". I keep expecting it to be for my mother or something and when i realise it's for me i find it a bit odd. Maybe because most of the time i just don't feel 25 :yes: Young at heart and all that.
    Youngbull wrote:
    when is a girl a women?

I think 2 criteria need to be met.

1. When they leave compulsory education - 16-18. Schoolgirl, schoolboy, young lady, young man. Simple.
    2. When there is more than one.

;)
    I dont like being called girl at all. I'm an adult, i quite like being called lady makes me feel grown up. Tho if i'm called woman in a nice way i feel sexy (weird i know) but if its said in a bad way liek "bloody woman, your ment to know how to multi task" then i feel shit.
    It depends whos calling me it. I wouldnt mind my bf calling me a girl, but most other person I prefer woman. I hate the term lady.

Lady and girl both sound patronising to me in general.
    beans wrote:
    Err yeah cause she was well irate?
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    It depends whos calling me it. I wouldnt mind my bf calling me a girl, but most other person I prefer woman. I hate the term lady.

Lady and girl both sound patronising to me in general.

:yes: Have to agree there. A lady is something you see on a toilet door.
    **Helen** wrote:
    A lady is something you see on a toilet door.

That and "For a good time call big Alec on 56494 4654521" or "I sux the cok at midnite every friday".

I visit such classy places......
    Raz wrote:
    That and "For a good time call big Alec on 56494 4654521" or "I sux the cok at midnite every friday".

I visit such classy places......

remind me never to take a notebook with me whenever i meet you :lol:
    I don't mind being called a girl, I actually hate being called woman or lady, I don't feel like I"m old enough for that term and it just sounds ackward aimed at me.

I'd say a female is a woman when they can simply relate to the word.
    Carolina wrote:
    Maybe because most of the time i just don't feel 25 :yes: Young at heart and all that.

I'm with you there.

I guess it depends whether you'd rather be all grown up, or stil be clinging, kicking and screaming, to your youth.