Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

HAMAS visit Russia!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oscar is a sneaky character, indeed!

Never trust a 13" gold statue, I say!
  • Options
    Damn you! Damn you MrG!!! I already said George Clooney was running Hamas! claiming it as your original joke makes you a Phoney! Phoney! your a phoney! Phoney!!!

(See Family Guy for contextual reference)
  • Options
    Best supporting emotive post goes to subject!

_252784_oscar_trophy150.jpg
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Damn you! Damn you MrG!!! I already said George Clooney was running Hamas! claiming it as your original joke makes you a Phoney! Phoney! your a phoney! Phoney!!!

(See Family Guy for contextual reference)

yeh but did you find the proof, cause its all about the proof
  • Options
    Best supporting emotive post goes to subject!

_252784_oscar_trophy150.jpg

I would like to thank all my fans, if it wasnt for them, i wouldnt be hear now!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Ah, Cland... you made the effort! :D

I get fed up posting stuff again. Perhaps we should bookmark posts for when someone like Diss comes along, to just link too? :D
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Perhaps we should bookmark posts for when someone like Diss comes along, to just link too? :D

Uhuh. Well if it wasn’t for me (and Dear Wendy when she posts) most threads on the Middle East and actually plenty of threads completely unconnected to the Middle East would descend into some obsessive anti-Israel wankfest.

Bookmarking posts would be a good idea though, it’s pretty tedious having to constantly explain that the Palestinians have been offered their own state before, yet refused – and following the latter offer waging war on Israel, their leaders declared their ambition to re-enact a Middle Eastern version of the Holocaust. Scary stuff.

Anyway – going back a little while your posts on the Middle East were quite balanced, from what I remember you blamed both sides. Out of curiosity what changed your position? I really hope you read more on this conflict anyway, there’s obviously no such thing as unbiased history but I think you can get some balance by reading and comparing historians. I’d recommend Benny Morris, Avi Shlaim, Martin Gilbert and Ilan Pappe.

You do seem an intelligent person and I think you do history A-level? I’m puzzled therefore why you uncritically accept Clan’s arguments – without considering them in context of any further reading. E.H. Carr, imo the best historian of the Russian revolution and also one of the best commentators on historiography advises people to scrutinise the historian before considering their facts. Applied to Clan that might make one ask why a middle aged man in his 40’s is obsessed with political forums aimed at young people – given his quite extreme conspiracy theorist driven opinions many would conclude that it’s probably to spread his message amongst teenagers. Although I don’t agree with Car, I follow Elton’s view that you can separate a professional historian who is good at their craft from their personal political views. Of course none of that’s particularly relevant since Clan is no historian. Not that I’m saying I am or anything, I’m only a student. :p
  • Options
    Ah back to the old recourse again, when the historical facts are unanswerably against you, eh Dis?

Why I and other "middle aged" contributors to this site choose to post here is nothing more than a further demonstration of your willful evasion of cold hard fact which conflicts with your unquestioned ideological assumptions.

Thanks for playing but your lack of ability to debate on factual grounds is clear enough for rational minds to see.

As for citing Shlaim and Pappe, youd do well to recognise they debunk most if not all of what you regularly posit on these boards. Obviously you gloss over those parts of their work.
  • Options
    I am bowing out now, im too bored of the discussion, no wi made my Oscar speach!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I accept some of Clan's point, not all.

I blame both sides. But I have researched more, and I still blame both sides, but Israel has to take most of it. I don't mind Israel existing, just I mind them getting away with about everything, which, they do illegaly. See... my objection comes when, Iraq occupies Kuwait, right? Kuwait, was, for years part of Iraq. So tehy have quite a fair claim to do so. The USA and Britain promlty stomp all over the remenants of Saddams armed forces.
    Right, Israel years before decides to, also illegaly, like Saddam, occupy parts of its neigbours land. When, their country is taken from this land, they have ALREADY been given some (admitadley without Palestinian consent) and they take more, in an entirley illegal war. Nothing is done. Eh?
    Also, America won't let the EU, or doesn't want to let the EU, sell arms to China. Yet Israel is ALREADY selling, illegaly, US Technology it has been given, to China.

Arg, the double standards for Israel dirve me mad. Add mass murder to that, of civilians, breaking of cease fires, and so forth - and it gets worse. Yes, the Palestinian Terrorists are far from innocent - but, they have killed less civilians than the Israeli army have. Also, they don't send Apaches to shoot refugees. Israel has to accept that the world does not revolve around it, and it will actually have to do something towards peace - one side won't stop fighting unless the other does too. Dropping a 100 ton bomb during the middle of a peace agreement is hardly, well, peaceful.