Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pregnancy & Periods

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
On a different message board, we had an argument about whether or not a girl can be pregnant and have a period. I know that a girl can have some bleeding that some women mistake for a period, but I doubt she can have a full out period with the lining shedding and such. Does anyone else know anything different?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    edited because i was wrong
    According to babycentre no....

Question: Can I be pregnant and still have periods?
    BabyCentre Editorial Team: No. Once your body starts producing human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) — the pregnancy hormone — and pregnancy is established, your menstrual cycle is interrupted and normal periods will stop. However, many women do experience bleeding during early pregnancy (for several reasons — see below) that may look very much like a normal period. This can make establishing your due date difficult, since midwives and doctors often use the first day of your last period to determine your due date. If that's in any doubt, measuring how big your uterus is may help them determine how far along you are. And if that's inconclusive, your midwife may decide to send you for a dating scan to measure the size of your baby and clarify exactly when he is due.

Many women who have spotting in early pregnancy go on to have their baby without any complications, but bleeding can also be a cause for concern. It may be the first sign of a miscarriage; if so, your symptoms would probably go on to include heavy cramping and bleeding that is much heavier than a normal period. If you have sharp pains in your lower abdomen, especially if the pain is only on one side, you should see your doctor straight away as you could have an ectopic pregnancy.

Because of these potential complications, if you bleed at all early in your pregnancy, it's best to notify your doctor or midwife. She may suggest getting a blood test to check your hormone levels or order an early ultrasound to evaluate your condition more thoroughly.

Babycentre
    No, you don't get your "period" when you're pregnant, once you become pregnant you start producing the HCG hormone which is what stops your periods.

Some women have something known as "implantation bleeding" around the time of their period, which as far as I'm aware is caused by the fertilised egg burrowing into the lining of the uterus. It would be light spotting though, and not like a "typical" period.
    briggi wrote:
    No, you don't get your "period" when you're pregnant, once you become pregnant you start producing the HCG hormone which is what stops your periods.
    :yes:
    We did this in Biology today. Made me feel pretty uncomfortable, with the sit. I'm in.
    I know someone who didn't 'realsie' she was pregnant until she was six months gone. Now I wasnae in her knickers or anything but she claims she didn't miss a single period. Also she's had three babies before so you'd think she'd know... Maybe she's bullshitting.
    Thanks. I checked WebMD earlier, but I didn't find anything.
    im pregnant, and had slight spotting but nothing major, asked my midwife about that and she said u cant have a period while pregnant
    most say that you cant have a period while pregnant. In theory you shouldnt be able to have one, but in reality there have been plenty of cases of periods right the way through. I would say that its pretty uncommon though, and if you have your period, youre almost definitely not pregnant, unless of course you start getting a pregnant belly too and then a baby falls out of your vagina.
    I would say that its pretty uncommon though, and if you have your period, youre almost definitely not pregnant, unless of course you start getting a pregnant belly too and then a baby falls out of your vagina.

oh man, and i've only just done my post of the week too...
    Rainbow, I just love the way you describe pregancy, here is another of your classic quotes about it:
    If having to push several lbs of screaming baby out of your vagina isnt enough reason for someone to be offered a bit of anaesthetic, then im not sure what is.
    I got told by a friend of mine that it is possible?