Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Combined Degree?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok I know Im not even at College yet but im trying to decide my options in regards to what I will need to get onto the Degree I want to gain at uni.

What is a combined degree can anyone tell me as none of the websites really gave me very much information :(

Im looking at gaining some form of degree in photography...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You do the core modules of two subjects with no dissertation.
    I'll be doing what some universities call Combined Honours, others call Joint Honours, same thing. You study in two subjects, quite simply. I'm not sure about the dissertation part, though, but you won't need to do that until the final year, if indeed at all.
    I do a joint honours degree which I think is the same thing. I do 50% of my modules in psychology, and 50% of my modules in philosophy. Different modules are worth different credits etc, but you don't need to worry about that as it will all be explained to you when you get to uni. I have to do all the compulsory core modules from each subject, and then I also get to choose a couple of optional modules from each subject. So you do get to choose other modules to study within those subjects.

I could do the dissertation module in either psychology or philosophy, but I do still have to do a dissertation. If you do a joint honours degree that is weighted more towards one subject (eg. 70% one subject, 30% another subject), they would probably prefer you to do the dissertation in the subject you do most modules in.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure joint honours and combined degrees are the same thing, if not then you can just ignore all of this :)
    I do joint honours, too. In Criminology and Social Policy.

Same as above poster, I do 50% of each subject. But thing is I'm currently doing 2 Criminology modules and 3 Social Policy. This is because single honours Criminology students have to do a module of Social Policy so I do that one, too.

Try looking on the UCAS website but I really wouldn't start worrying about it just yet.
    I think that joint honours implys 50% or each of two subjects (e.g. French and Spanish would be half french and half spanish) whereas combined could be either joint honours or a major subject with a minor subject (e.g. chemistry with german is mostly chemistry with a bit of german) but I might be wrong.

Many single honours subjects allow you to opt for minors in other subjects too along the way.

There are also interdisciplinary degrees where you study several subjects such as Natural Sciences degrees etc.
    The honours is made up in your third year. Something like 300 for a degree and 360 for a degree with honours, where I 'think' a certain number of points (the extra 60 maybe?) have to have come from your dissertation.
    minimi38 wrote:

how did i miss out on this last time. :eek2:
    minimi38 wrote:

That actually depends on the university.

A combined degree is also known as joint-honours- it means you do more than one subject.

For instance, I did a Law with Politics degree at Durham. In that case, I did about 60% law, and 40% politics, and had to do a law dissertation but not a politics one.

I "majored" in law, but my degree was both law and politics, and said so on the scroll.
    katralla wrote:
    The honours is made up in your third year. Something like 300 for a degree and 360 for a degree with honours, where I 'think' a certain number of points (the extra 60 maybe?) have to have come from your dissertation.
    This depends entirely on the university though. It's different at UCL.
    Randomgirl wrote:

True...at mine we have the choice of a dissertation, or an extra final year module. Our system is pretty complicated anyway, as in Scotland alot of the courses are MA's, based off the old Scottish school system.
    Randomgirl wrote:

yup, you're right. I'm sure my uni (pityfull excuse for) does it like this, although I *think* there's the option to do an extra module or double module instead of a dissy. One of my friends did an exam in her subject that made up the honours part...

OP: If you look on the uni website they have explanations of how the degrees break down.