Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I need to get motivation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm up to +30lbs now in the last 9 months. Its sick, its deperssing and I thought that would be motivation enough. I cannot motivate myself to go to the gym. I need something more than just, hey, I've gone up 2 pants sizes and I'm a fat cow to motivate me apperantly. I think about it, I plan to go, but by the time actually comes, I just dont... almost can't. No idea why. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    maybe go and buy some clothes in the size you want to get down to? thats what ive done.

i bought a pair of size 10 jeans that dont currently fit me, but just the thought of getting in to them 'some day' makes me want to go down the gym!!
    give yourself some sort of goal and it may help!!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    i personally really, really would not advise this. all you will end up with is a wardrobe full of clothes you've never worn because you can't fit into them, and they'll just be one more thing in your life to feel guilty and bad about, along with the money your gym membership is costing. i know, because i've done it - spent a fortune joining a gym, bought clothes in a size i want to get into, and thought that these things would motivate me into losing weight - but all they did was make me feel like even more of a failure, not just fat but now broke too.

I agree completely, I really don't think that'll do anything for anyone's self-esteem or motivation. I understand the reasoning behind it, but it's only going to make you loathe your body even more if you don't get into them soon enough and they're taunting you daily from your wardrobe. Surely it's better to shop for new clothes when you've lost the weight anyway...and you can try on all the fabulous clothes in smaller sizes (and only buy the ones on sale) ;)

Anyway, as for motivation, I'm not too sure as I despise the gym myself and rarely exercise there. However, I think the idea of trying to find someone to go to the gym or exercise classes is a good idea. Then they're expecting you to be there, or even maybe picking you up/relying on you for a lift there etc. Or maybe rather than just going on the equipment at the gym you could find some kind of class you enjoyed - dance or something (sorry I'm not sure if that interests you...but you get the picture). Not only is it a much more fun way of exercising without actually pumping your body with the aid of scary machines, it's more of a commitment than the gym. There are scheduled classes etc, and if you can motivate yourself to go the first few times you'll then be expected.

It's definitely the first push that's the most difficult, but once you start going regularly and see the change...that's when you'll start to feel better, otherwise you'll just feel worse and worse (and the guilt of not going will only pile on top of those feelings, argh!). It's a vicious cycle, but if you just literally MAKE yourself go a couple of times I'm sure you'd start to feel more positive about the experience and yourself - of course!

I don't know what your gym is like, but if it's one of those with a hot tub, sauna, treatments etc then maybe you could make a deal with yourself that you'll go and work out for so long and then have a nice, relaxing laze in the sauna or a facial or god knows what else!

Not sure what else to say, as I'm already babbling. Maybe you need some "tough love" Dr Phil style. :p
  • Options
    i personally really, really would not advise this. all you will end up with is a wardrobe full of clothes you've never worn because you can't fit into them, and they'll just be one more thing in your life to feel guilty and bad about, along with the money your gym membership is costing. i know, because i've done it - spent a fortune joining a gym, bought clothes in a size i want to get into, and thought that these things would motivate me into losing weight - but all they did was make me feel like even more of a failure, not just fat but now broke too.

that said, i haven't any advice as to where else to get motivated - i'm currently heavier than i'd like to be and have very little motivation to do anything about it - mainly because everyone says you have to quit drinking, and i REALLY don't want to have to do that...

Wow, that sounds so familar, especially the last bit. I didn't buy pants smaller, I just keep having to buy bigger and bigger pants, my goal just to get into pants I wore earlier last year.
    maybe I'll try a schedule. Maybe it will make me feel more obligated.
  • Options
    is there anyone you can go to the gym with for the first time at least? it will make you feel so good mentally aswell because of all those endorphins you'll release by doing exercise.
  • Options
    just get off your bum and go.

when you start seeing the benefits from it you'll be glad you went and think how much better you'll feel about yourself.