Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Weed Info

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am very interested in doing weed, i would like to know however is there tar in it that could lead to lung cancer or some shit like that? And what side effects are there of it. And what weed would be the best in Canada? I thinking of BC weed since its easiest to get... Thx for your help guys.

Comments

• Options
    There are all sorts of chemicals in weed yes and it does damage to your lungs. However, it's practically impossible to get lung cancer on your first smoke so I owuldn't worry if I was you. This is a UK based website, I don't know the drug market in Canada at all. Your best bet is to find a friend who has a reliable source and smoke with him.
  • Options
    Canadian weed is considered to be some of the best in the World, but be warned it will be strong, virtually all of it will be hydroponically (without soil) grown and therefore totally chemically fertilised.

As for it causing cancer, the evidence is somewhat shaky, but you can be sure its not doing you any great good.

As for side effects, these are slight, but can include nausea, panic that sort of thing, but that is unlikely and normally only happens when someone inexperienced takes a large dose.

Your best option would be to smoke with someone used to it so you can learn from them.

Oh, and if you have a history of mental illness you may want to keep the use to infrequent.
  • Options
    The tar content is because (generally) weed is rolled with tobacco, it doesnt burn as well otherwise.
    I dont think anybody will be able to tell you what kind is the best to get because strengths and effects vary from batch to batch and what might be known as 'super skunk' around some parts may be weak as fuck in others.
    Just out of curiousity, what is it that is making you so interested in trying it?
    Most people i know got into it through other friends that smoked it and they just shared a spliff one day...
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    The tar content is because (generally) weed is rolled with tobacco, it doesnt burn as well otherwise.
    I dont think anybody will be able to tell you what kind is the best to get because strengths and effects vary from batch to batch and what might be known as 'super skunk' around some parts may be weak as fuck in others.
    Just out of curiousity, what is it that is making you so interested in trying it?
    Most people i know got into it through other friends that smoked it and they just shared a spliff one day...

Oo ic...btw does anyone know if Jamacian weed is good? Does weed have to smoked with tabacco? If not it doesnt have tar right? Im interested because it seems fun and i heard its not that dangerous, and also it relieves stress. Well i have heard from one friend that weed is harsh, and you will have to develope a taste for it. On the other hand another friend said it tasted really good...Which is true? Or does it depend on growth/location etc...?
  • Options
    Also is 10 per gram good? What is a "dime" considered? Somone said 10 per dime.
  • Options
    Jamacian weed is supposed to be quite good, but I wouldnt buy it from there when you can get local stuff. The less it has to travel the less people make money from it and the better it is.

It can be harsh if you are not at all used to smoking.
  • Options
    Asdf wrote:
    Also is 10 per gram good? What is a "dime" considered? Somone said 10 per dime.

$10 canadian per gram, its about $2.5 to the £ isnt it? Which makes it about £15 per 1/8th ounce which is a good price for here, but I have no idea about wieghts and measures there.
  • Options
    Of course weed has its dangers. it is a drug, no drug is 100% safe.
    The main problems to do with smoking weed are long term term and there has been a lot of linkage to mental health problems. Weed doesnt have to be smoked with tobacco but it wont burn as well if you dont.
  • Options
    So if i smoke it once a month? Would it be damaging in anyway?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Well cannabis certainly isn't safe. There is a bit of infomation on thesite.org and plenty of information on the Drugscope site, or on Erowid if you are looking for a US based site.

And can I just point out that it doesn't matter what you are smoking, the act of drawing smoke into your lungs is harmful. This is from the Basics section in the Erowid Cannabis Vault -
    Long Term Health Problems:The most common negative health impact of regular cannabis smoking are lung and throat problems including: coughing, increased frequency of throat and lung infections, and reduced lung capacity. There are concerns about possible long term carcinogenic (cancer causing) effects of cannabis smoking, but the results are still somewhat controversial. It can be safely said, however, that health risks increase with frequency and duration of smoking anything.
  • Options
    So would once a month be good?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    It is honestly impossible to say how you will react. If you have a predisposition to any mental health problems, you will be in a higher risk category. If you are looking for someone here to reassure you cannabis is a safe drug to take, you won't find anyone. I would suggest you do some reading, find out as many facts as you can and make up your own mind about whether you think the risk is worth it.
  • Options
    Asdf wrote:
    So would once a month be good?
    Doesnt really work like that im affraid. people become addicted and end up saying, well every two weeks is ok its still not that often, that turns into once a week, which turns into twice etc..
    Nothing has been proven yet but as i said before about the mental health issues, i dont think theres a set of amount of weed you could smoke before putting yourself at risk or anything so theres probably a chance of it damaging you.
    To be honest i dont really rate it very much. smoked it a few times, it was ok, nothing amazing like a lot of people make out. Yes it does make you more relaxed & mellow, but dont go expecting miracles.
  • Options
    Aight then...

Is the smell strong?
  • Options
    lol cool cool, what smell would it compare itself best with? lol just curious...

It says on http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_info20.shtml
    Marijuana is about 5 times as harsh as cigarette tobacco on your lungs. ? i thought i heard somone say its much safer than tobbaco...
  • Options
    Asdf wrote:
    lol cool cool, what smell would it compare itself best with? lol just curious...

It says on http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_info20.shtml
    Marijuana is about 5 times as harsh as cigarette tobacco on your lungs. ? i thought i heard somone say its much safer than tobbaco...

Some studies have found no adverse effects on the lungs from smoking weed but there's no consensus. The general opinion is whatever you smoke, it's bad for you.

If you don't want to smoke it...make a cake or a milkshake...or get a vapouriser.
  • Options
    It will probably be harsher on your lungs to smoke a spliff than a cigarette, if you only use a roach (a piece of rolled up card) inside. A filter from a cigarette would prevent a bit more of the nasties getting in, but obviously any smoke in your lungs is going to be a bad thing overall.
  • Options
    It will probably be harsher on your lungs to smoke a spliff than a cigarette, if you only use a roach (a piece of rolled up card) inside. A filter from a cigarette would prevent a bit more of the nasties getting in, but obviously any smoke in your lungs is going to be a bad thing overall.

i read somewhere that using a cigarette filter filters out about 70% of the thc or something .. cant remember where though
  • Options
    I normally smoke through a pipe or bong anyway. Although I haven't done that for quite a while! Sheesha is where it's at, mmmm....:p
  • Options
    You buy or make your own roach?
  • Options
    Asdf wrote:
    You buy or make your own roach?

You make them. Rip a piece of your paper packet off and roll it up so it acts like a filter.
  • Options
    o ic, thx for the tip....=)
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    You make them. Rip a piece of your paper packet off and roll it up so it acts like a filter.

It's a bit of an art to start off with...many a time I've seen my mate make a shitty roach with a big hole in the middle, and end up with burning baccy in his throat! Just be careful with them :thumb:
  • Options
    Does adding tobacco to the joint make it tastier, or enhance it in some way?
  • Options
    It's for taste, personal preference.

Just to throw it out there, I've read that one of the reasons lung cancer is so dangerous from smoking is actaually because nicotine (in tobacco..) aids cancer growth somehow.. Vice versa, THC helps fight cancer - I'm not sure where i read it, i remember it being a rather reliable source though
  • Options
    Asdf wrote:
    Does adding tobacco to the joint make it tastier, or enhance it in some way?

It can soften it a bit. You might get a bit of a nicotine rush if you don't normally smoke, but otherwise I don't think it would really enhance it much. The tobacco is mainly there to help the spliff burn. Weed by itself has to be very tightly packed, otherwise gaps with air in them will make it burn unevenly. Tobacco fills it out and makes it all burn nice and evenly.
  • Options
    It can soften it a bit. You might get a bit of a nicotine rush if you don't normally smoke, but otherwise I don't think it would really enhance it much. The tobacco is mainly there to help the spliff burn. Weed by itself has to be very tightly packed, otherwise gaps with air in them will make it burn unevenly. Tobacco fills it out and makes it all burn nice and evenly.

I very rarely smoke, and when I do I get a huge rush from the tobacco
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    I very rarely smoke, and when I do I get a huge rush from the tobacco

Yeah me too. I sometime smoke cigarettes in a club for a bit of a lift, it's amazing how strong the effect is. When I was younger, I lived in a house with two smokers, and I smoked a bit myself, so I was used to it. Not any more!
  • Options
    Yeah me too. I sometime smoke cigarettes in a club for a bit of a lift, it's amazing how strong the effect is.
    wow, I've never gotten anything out of a smoke, though snuff and chewing tobacco have always fixed me up good
  • Options
    wow, I've never gotten anything out of a smoke, though snuff and chewing tobacco have always fixed me up good

But do you smoke often? I literally only smoke maybe once a month, if that. I do sometimes get a cigar though ;)