Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is there good money working in the media?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Media being television, radio, newspapers, websites.

Compared with say IT or other potentially well paid professions?

Given the a lot of media jobs are based in cities with attendant higher living costs than elsewhere, particularly London, do people who work in this profession expect to stay in it for the long term? Do they expect to be able to buy a place of their own? Or are they happy to rent or flat/house share?

Anyone changed from a higher paid career into media? What's your story?

Just a curious question from someone who has unpaid experience in media and is looking at changing careers and becoming professionally paid.

Comments

• Options
    The thing is with the media it's either one extreme or the other. There is the potential to make a lot of money but many junior journalists/production assistants and stuff will start out at about £18k a year.

The thing is if there is any economic crisis or whatnot and people get laid off, the first industry to get hit is the media.
  • Options
    Of course there is good money in the media, though I would say it's more likely to be at the sharp end than all across the board.

You have to work your way up. But you'd have to do that everywhere else, too.
  • Options
    The thing is with the media it's either one extreme or the other. There is the potential to make a lot of money but many junior journalists/production assistants and stuff will start out at about £18k a year.

agree :yes:

my auntie works in film and earns 'a lot' of money!! however she has worked very hard to get to the position she is in today and she started at the bottom too.

id say it totally depends on how hard you are willing to work!!
  • Options
    There is, but there are better paid industries, and ones that are easier to get into.

The big problem with the media is that there are so many people who will work for nothing, and that drags the wages of everyone else down.
  • Options
    Wow. I thought 18 k a year was good money.....

Yeah its highly competative, plus you usually have to do masses of unpaid or low paiud work at reaally small outlets before you can move onot reigional and larger areas and do them before you can go national. Olus there are qualifications and such you need nowadays.

Out of interest , does anyone know how much magazine writers are paid and or reviewers??

I have a plan to be writing for some or 1 of the lads magas that I hope to execute but when I pitch to them eventually, i don't know what kind of money they should be offering?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Kermit wrote:
    There is, but there are better paid industries, and ones that are easier to get into.

The big problem with the media is that there are so many people who will work for nothing, and that drags the wages of everyone else down.

:yes: Too true. A friend of mine quit a 28k a year job in sales to work as a reporter on a local newspaper earning 13k a year after paying to do an NCTJ course.

You might want to have a look at the jobs advertised on this website which show a good indictation of the wages paid for certain roles. It's might also be worth approaching media agencies PFJ for example. They are usually happy just to have an interview with people about their interests, experience and skills.

Edited: more info added :)
  • Options
    It varies widely, it depends on the job, the company, your experience etc. PR pays quite well.

Starting salaries can be quite low. I've just started as a reporter on 14K, I probably could have earned more in other jobs, but it goes up, and I get a lot of perks like free tickets to concerts/theatre, and expenses.

I rent my own flat at the moment but other people in the same job as me are getting mortgages etc, but houses are quite cheap round here compared to down South.
  • Options
    yepyep depends completely on the job too :)

my aunt worked on a film a while ago (kingdom of heaven) and got £48k for 3 months work :eek:

thats why im doing film set design at uni :) want to get into that line of work
  • Options
    Media jobs (or at least TV/film jobs) equal little pay when you start out, little job security, but big money if/when you're good enough. It's all contract based, so a freelance (digibeta/HD) cameraman can expect to earn about £200 a day, but then that money will have to last between contracts. He might only work half the days of the year as a cameraman (of course, the very best will have a steady stream of work through word of mouth and can then put their prices up). Wages for jobs such as Directors, Directors of Photography, Editors, Sound Designers or any of the major creative roles just depend on how good you are and how big the project is, but there's no real guideline.

There are more permanent jobs in the media (producing, staff writers, schedulers, production roles on regular programmes), but they all require you to prove yourself in a freelance capacity first. Some people are lucky and get jobs as researchers straight away, then you can work your way up to producer the same way as any other job. But for most, you will have to be willing to spend quite a while working for crap/no pay to build up experience and a portfolio of work.
  • Options
    It doesn't help that nowadays there are all these "Citizen journalist" types.
  • Options
    Interesting times

We live in increasingly interesting times. Technology and the internet has empowered everyday people to produce their own content as well has consume it.

There are new opportunities to make money via subscription articles that some newspapers are starting and subscription advert free radio gaining popularity in the U.S.

Also, money is to be made producing products that organise all this information we are bombarded with and aggregating it into something useful. Google Earth is a fine example.
  • Options
    Interesting times

We live in increasingly interesting times. Technology and the internet has empowered everyday people to produce their own content as well has consume it.

There are new opportunities to make money via subscription articles that some newspapers are starting and subscription advert free radio gaining popularity in the U.S.

Also, money is to be made producing products that organise all this information we are bombarded with and aggregating it into something useful. Google Earth is a fine example.
  • Options
    Just kind of connected to this, is there anywhere you can submit freelance journalism for the public to see? Perhaps a blog or something? Just Im considering it as a hobby...
  • Options
    It's possible to get work writing an article or column for a monthly magazine. But that's not really journalism in the sense of getting stories, it's more about giving your opinions on issues to do with the subject. Plus you've really got to know your stuff on whatever subject the magazine covers. What type of journalism were you interested in? Because I don't think you can just submit an article/story to a local newspaper and expect them to print it.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    What type of journalism were you interested in? Because I don't think you can just submit an article/story to a local newspaper and expect them to print it.

You can if you pitch it to them - it's best not to just send them an article, but ring/email them with your idea and see if they're interested in it. It's important to make it clear which section of the paper you think the article would fit into and why you think the public would be interested or benefit from knowing what you have to say in your article. If you don't succeed first time then try again...and maybe again. Persistence is the key :)