Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

hair again from me!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
after my hair mishap where i dyed my hair from very light brown to an auburn and it only took at the roots i have another question.
i went to the hairdresser and he fixed my hair a reddy brown colour but it cost me a bomb. would i be ok now to dye it myself? should it take now?
the coulour is starting to fade especially at the ends and i dont want to end up with the same scenario.find somewhere cheaper or do it myself in a few weeks?
thanks

Comments

• Options
    No.
  • Options
    No.

no to what?
  • Options
    I think your hair has been through enough. :p
  • Options
    Cazzoo wrote:
    I think your hair has been through enough. :p

yeah im not talking about dying it again any time soon i surprised my hair has not got up and left me with my harsh punishments but ill need to eventually because of root regrowth so can i do it myself or am i best to leave it to the professionals? i dyed my hair for 14 years by myself until i had the hair disaster with the auburn but that was putting it on light hair!
  • Options
    i went to the hairdresser and he fixed my hair a reddy brown colour but it cost me a bomb. would i be ok now to dye it myself?
    NO!

As Cazzoo said, you're hair has been through ENOUGH!!!

and.....

Hairdressers are there for a reason... :thumb:

Ilora x
  • Options
    Hairdressers are there for a reason... :thumb:

Ilora x

yeh to do whatever they like with peoples hair and not even listen to what was requested :P

Wee-wuman, it would depend entirely on what they did to "fix" your hair. Did they strip out all colour then put a new base colour on? What exactly did they do?
  • Options
    they didnt strip the colour, he put a warm brown colour on my hair. they started with the ends and once all that was done they went back and did all the roots so that the ends had more time to develop. i may just see if i can find a cheaper hairdresser to do the colour next time. the place that fixed my hair is not where i usually go for a cut, it was just the first place i got through to when i was in need of some major hair help. i want to keep cost down because i dyed my own hair when it was blonde. ill maybe have it done at the hairdressers when needed a few times more and take it from there. its just because it has lightened a wee bit i dont want to end up with another disaster! cheers for the advice
    my hair has been ravaged but im looking after it and treating it with a protein thing that i bought to help it repair.
  • Options
    'Hair dressers are there for a reason'

Yeah to charge you 10x what it would cost you to do at home!

Leave your hair for a couple of weeks and condition it really well, and i can't see a reason why you can't use a home colourant on the top of the colour you have, aslong as it's not radically different, most people i know end up doing that as hairdressers are so expensive.

Unfortunatley all hair dyes fade even permanant ones, and reds and reddy browns are the worst for fading, and it happens to everyone thats why it says on the box to top the colour up every 6 weeks or so to keep the colour looking fresh and what not.
  • Options
    thanks
  • Options
    as they didnt strip your hair, different hairs have been exposed to different amounts od dye and therefore would all react differently to any new dye you put on top which will mean you could end up with patchy colour again.

If i were you, i'd just go with semi-colours

if you go with a permanent, you risk fucking up the colour majorly, especially if you go with a colour lighter than you current colour, because the lighter colour will lift previous colour but the amounts of previous colour varies all over your head now! If you go darker, it wont be as hazardous but if you've had any bits lightened in the past, the colour wont stick as well to them bits and voila you have patchy hair again :impissed: been there, done that.

Best leave it alone but go with semi's to keep any richness. You can always keep re-doing it with semi's when it fades.
  • Options
    thanks good advice. i never even thought of using semi permanent.
  • Options
    wee wuman wrote:
    i dyed my hair for 14 years by myself until i had the hair disaster with the auburn but that was putting it on light hair!

i've been dying my hair myself forabout 11 years. i have had maybe 5 or 6 hair disasters in that time. considering i do my hair about every 2 months (and it changes all the time) that's 99% (ish) success rate.

i've had my hair dyed at a hairdressers (different ones) 5 times. it has gone horribly wrong three times. that's a 40% success rate.

in my book, home dye wins :p

yes, occasionally it can and does fuck up. i wouldn't let it scare you off.

oh, and only use semi permanent home dyes if you want to stay the colour you are. if you're planning to go lighter anytime soon, avoid them like the plague. semi permanent my arse. those things are going nowhere.
  • Options
    i'd NEVER go to the hairdressers to get them to put a simple dye on it (i.e. with no highlights or anything). i do a perfectly good job myself with a £5 bottle from boots without forking out about £30-40 to get a hairdresser to do it for me cheers very much.
  • Options
    i'd NEVER go to the hairdressers to get them to put a simple dye on it (i.e. with no highlights or anything). i do a perfectly good job myself with a £5 bottle from boots without forking out about £30-40 to get a hairdresser to do it for me cheers very much.

too right!!

Plus hairdressers are too retarded to realise that black is not the same as brown
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    Plus hairdressers are too retarded to realise that black is not the same as brown
    Haha, I noticed that too....

Ilora x