Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Use by / Best before dates

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you always stick to 'use by' and 'best before' dates? If you have exceptions what are they?

Just curious really, as my grandparents always come out with something along the lines of 'we never had sell by dates when I was younger and it never did us any harm' but then they say that for everything!

I will occasionaly eat the odd thing if it is a day over but no more than that.

Comments

• Options
    If it says use by then yes.
    If it says best before i don't mind going a couple of days over, but never with raw/chilled meats and stuff because that's what leads to food poisining and other nastys.
  • Options
    Depends what it is:
    Dairy: stick to use by date but if it smells rank before that I won't eat it.
    Fresh produce: when it looks mouldy or smells rank I don't eat it
    Prepared food: Stick to the date but there is a bit of leeway if it smells ok.
  • Options
    I feel uneasy about eating anything which is past the date. Especially dairy products like milk and yoghurt. Ewww. Or meat.
  • Options
    I feel uneasy about eating anything which is past the date. Especially dairy products like milk and yoghurt. Ewww. Or meat.

Dairy and meat is a no for me
  • Options
    I'd stick to a "use by" date. Wouldn't pay too much attention to a best before date though.
  • Options
    It all depends on what it is. :yes:
  • Options
    Are 'best before' dates for things like tinned goods and less perishable food?
  • Options
    Best before means it'll still be edible past that date, but the texture/flavour/quality won't be as good as when fresh. Bread will still be edible a few days after it has gone past it's best before date, but it goes hard and nasty :).

Use by dates are somewhat different - generally, take them as an absolute. But I'll sniff milk after the date and if it passes my test, I'll still use it ;).
  • Options
    Milk, eggs and soft cheese I wouldn't eat if they'd gone off. Same with meats.

You can eyeball fruit and veg and tell if they're still ok.

Tinned foods shouldn't go off unless the tin is dented. Don't buy dented tins.
  • Options
    I'm not fussy at all, my philosophy (ha) is that if it's still edible - it gets eaten.

Though obviously not things like milk, yoghurts etc. I was violently sick once from eating beans that had been left in the fridge for a couple of days, but that's the only problem I've had.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I was violently sick once from eating beans that had been left in the fridge for a couple of days

really? I always do that argh.

waste not want not and all that ;:p
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    really? I always do that argh.

waste not want not and all that ;:p

I know, it was very weird. It's only happened the once, and I still do it (foolishly, probably) because old cold beans are :yum:.
  • Options
    As long as it doesn't smell rancid in my belly it goes.
  • Options
    Best before I stick to like packets of crisps etc.

Use by are usually fine if you can freeze them on the same day of purchase.

Anything fresh like fish, meat, milk etc will only be bought & consumed within its use by date. I belived that fresh is best so buying fresh & freezing is a pointless process.

Working for a supermarket the fresh fish has 5 days life but then if it's overwrapped & merchandised along with the pre-pack fish then it only has 2 days life even though it's good for 5 days.
  • Options
    no, i dont eat anything thats past the use by or best before date. i know its usually ok to eat things if theyve gone past the best before date but i just cant do it.
  • Options
    For me as long as it looks like it should, and doesn't smell then i guess it won't poison me :p
  • Options
    i'm a bit obsessive about them.

if it's something relatively harmless, like crisps, or bread, then i might risk it (although would be worried).

raw meat, or milk or soft cheese i not only will not eat them past the bb date, i don't like it eat them if the date is that day, or 1 day away.

i'm always rooting around for the stuff with the longest dates :/

</crazy>
  • Options
    If it's not moldy, smelly, or an odd colour I'll usually eat it :p
  • Options
    with things like tins, dry food and things like that i never check the date, it just doesnt occur to me,

im really fussy about milk if it doesnt pass the sniff test even if it has a week to go it goes in the bin (i usually think it smells funny about 3 days before the rest of the house so i spend 1/2 mylife buying milk)

for things like cooked meat, ready meals ect i check the date and if it looks ok then i will tend to cook it but as im eating it because i know it could be off i convince myself it tastes funny and end up binning it
  • Options
    I completely disregard the dates on eggs. If they float, or rattle, they get binned, otherwise they get used.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

if it's something relatively harmless, like crisps, or bread, then i might risk it (although would be worried).

raw meat, or milk or soft cheese i not only will not eat them past the bb date, i don't like it eat them if the date is that day, or 1 day away.

</crazy>

not really, im like that. drives my boyfriend and family mad because i do actually check everything before i eat it. i dont know why im like that, i think it's because i was poisoned by an out of date mini milk once..
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    If it says use by then yes.
    If it says best before i don't mind going a couple of days over, but never with raw/chilled meats and stuff because that's what leads to food poisining and other nastys.
    :yuck: :yes:
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    not really, im like that. drives my boyfriend and family mad because i do actually check everything before i eat it. i dont know why im like that, i think it's because i was poisoned by an out of date mini milk once..
    Lumpy milk :yuck: Shudder. :nervous:
  • Options
    Alcohol is fine. It's cool 'cause at work we always end up with a load of alcohol that doesn't get sold before the BB date, and so we can't sell it. Unfortunately it has a fairly long shelf life so anything I get to bring home is the crap no-one buys. This week I got four lovely bottles of Archers apple flavoured alcopops. :yuck: Someone'll have them though.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

</crazy>

i'm the same.

i wouldn't do it with crisps or bread though. crisps have quite a long shelf life as it is. and i hate stale/slightly stale bread.

i'm worse with fresh produce like milk though. :yuck:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I've eaten mouldy bread. I toasted it. I didn't realise till I went back for more bread after finishing, when I was awake... EEW! Mould!

Didn't do any harm mind.
  • Options
    They're a rough guide. For perishables that aren't frozen, I wouldnt go more than two days either way, but virtually anything else can last about a week, in my experience. I do have it on good authority from a friend that a week old prawn sandwich (not refrigerated) can be eaten with no ill effects.
  • Options
    I dont eat things unless theyre past their best before date usually!

well, maybe thats exaggerating but best before/useby dates dont bother me. If it looks and smells ok, then ill eat it no problem.
    Ive got a chocolate mousse in the fridge that was best before the beginning of feb. i really should eat it soon or itll be no good!
  • Options
    Recently, I saw a story in the newspapers about a man who'd been given "tinned chicken" (no, I didn't know such a thing existed either) on his wedding day in the 1950s. A few weeks ago, his wife cooked it for him, and he said it was absolutely fine. I'll find a link if I can to this story, it's strange.

I get the idea that use by dates are getting shorter and shorter. For instance, I can't find any packets of crisps now that are more than six months ahead of the date, i.e. if I bought one now, it's unlikely to have a best before date much further than September. Are use-by/best before dates getting shorter, and if so, why?
  • Options
    maybe its cheaper to make them the same quality for taste and content, but with a date closer to the current one