Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

relocating

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my partner and i have been living together for 3 years in a council house and just recently my partner has started a new job in west midlands so he has had to stay with his parents closer to work. I live in staffordshire so we only get to see each other at weekends. :crying: I am planing to go and live with him over there so i just wanted to know does my partners new boss have an obligation to relocate us as we are a family with a child. What i mean is finding us a house to rent or do we have to do it all. ? :(

Comments

• Options
    His boss has no obligation to find you a home, or to help you move.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    His boss has no obligation to find you a home, or to help you move.

That's what I thought - it wasn't like he was forced to take this job, was he?
  • Options
    thanx
    Sofie wrote:
    That's what I thought - it wasn't like he was forced to take this job, was he?
    thanx for that, i wasnt sure but had better check, you never know !! lol
    does anyone know of any information on deposits for renting houses ? :chin: :D
  • Options
    samnian wrote:
    thanx for that, i wasnt sure but had better check, you never know !! lol
    does anyone know of any information on deposits for renting houses ? :chin: :D

They're usually equal to approx. one months rent.
  • Options
    To move into my current rented place I needed to pay for a credit check, household contents insurance, one months rent for deposit and one months rent in advance in cash/banker's draft, agency fees before I could get the keys. boo
  • Options
    oh my !
    katralla wrote:
    To move into my current rented place I needed to pay for a credit check, household contents insurance, one months rent for deposit and one months rent in advance in cash/banker's draft, agency fees before I could get the keys. boo
    Bloody hell ! its gonna take us ages to get somewhere. Have you got any advise seeing as youve been there and done it ? Thanx Katralla. :thumb: ;)
  • Options
    :eek2: at this thread.
  • Options
    Can you not apply for a council house transfer??? I've no idea if you can or not but if you can I would go for that as the first option as it will be easier for you and presumably less money in rent as well.

Othewise i suggest you start by using the internet to search for houses to rent in the area you want to live and start saving up for a deposit!
  • Options
    Also to add to the farce, I had to prove I was earning over a certain amount, which involved getting the job and proof of earnings before promptly quiting said job :D Talk about jumping through hoops. You may find there are less hoops to jump through if you rent directly from a landlord rather than through an agency. Also, as you're already in a council house- have you looked into transfers? This would be much better for you financially if coming up with a deposit and references is going to be a problem.
  • Options
    Of course, just because there is no obligation on your partner's new work doesn't mean that they might not offer something to help out if asked.
  • Options
    His boss has offered no help whatsoever and my partner has asked on a number of occasions and explained the situation. He is very tempted to pack it all in. :(
  • Options
    samnian wrote:
    His boss has offered no help whatsoever and my partner has asked on a number of occasions and explained the situation. He is very tempted to pack it all in. :(

as said previously tho, his boss has no obligation (other than happy staff) to help in any way whatsoever. I think wye's answer is probably the best, to see if you can transfer to another council house, i know we had a increase in a load of people from london moving into our empty council houses up this way a couple of years back, dont know why...but i know they just took em over, so im sure theres some way...altho if he's working i dont see why you couldnt look at something other than a council house, you could always work a few hours to make up the shortfall.