Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What PC game should I get?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Going to Game later as I have a voucher. What game should I get? I'm in the mood for strategy, and I was thinking that new star wars one, but the reviews are awful, so considering battle for middle earth 2. The reason I'm going to game is because I have a £10 voucher, and have done since my 18th birthday (23rd sep last year :p). I hope its still valid, because they have cards instead of vouchers these days... either way I'll just kick up a fuss and say its go no expiry date printed on it, and demand to see the manager, and I'm in no doubt they'll cough up :)

So, what game?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    why is this in the student forum?
    I've got Star Wars - Empires at war. It's kind of fun.
    Sofie wrote:
    why is this in the student forum?
    Mistake :p
    isnt there a new james bond game out? a sean connery one? if there is then get that :D
    soraliah wrote:
    isnt there a new james bond game out? a sean connery one? if there is then get that :D

not in the mood for a fps :p
    hmm ok.. what about that new lord of the rings one then :) 'battle for middle earth'

my mate has it and looks like he's enjoying it! make your own army etc
    soraliah wrote:
    hmm ok.. what about that new lord of the rings one then :) 'battle for middle earth'

my mate has it and looks like he's enjoying it! make your own army etc

Thats what i was considering, actually, the only downisde to that being the original i thought was far too easy and got repetetive. You just got some horses and ran aroud the map running everything over :p and then you'd won.
    I recommend UFO: Aftershock.
    Thats what i was considering, actually, the only downisde to that being the original i thought was far too easy and got repetetive. You just got some horses and ran aroud the map running everything over :p and then you'd won.

oops lol thats what i get for not reading post properly!! but yeah, if you dont want to risk this game being the same as the original then go for something else :)
    if you like RTS id reccomend Age Of Empires 3, its really good.
    I love ages of empire games
    ive got the whole set including age of empires3 collecters edition, damn good series of games
    'The Godfather' at the end of this month.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Empire at War isn't that bad. A 75%ish game isn't bad... Its fucking fun too.

Especially AT-AT's... DESTROY!
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Empire at War isn't that bad. A 75%ish game isn't bad... Its fucking fun too.

Especially AT-AT's... DESTROY!
    I was almost expecting your post to say Stalker :p
    Rich-E wrote:
    I was almost expecting your post to say Stalker :p

It is NOT an RTS. But it is the best thing ever.

And it is getting super-delayed. I don't mind, as long as it is good when finished! :D
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    It is NOT an RTS. But it is the best thing ever.

And it is getting super-delayed. I don't mind, as long as it is good when finished! :D
    Oh yeah, oops.

How about C&C: Generals then?
    Rich-E wrote:
    Oh yeah, oops.

How about C&C: Generals then?

Meh... only ofr multiplayer. Single Player is ruined by the stupidity of AI...
    if you havn't got dawn of war + winter assault you're missing out big time :)
    got aoe 3, i went and got battle for middle earth 2 after all. its not too shabby a game, the problem with rts games is that they can never be a bit hard, you either win, or you lose, i supopse its the same with most games, but like, i dunno what im trying to say :p

im waiting till the 20th as ive got oblivion preordered, this is just to pass the time :p
    got aoe 3, i went and got battle for middle earth 2 after all. its not too shabby a game, the problem with rts games is that they can never be a bit hard, you either win, or you lose, i supopse its the same with most games, but like, i dunno what im trying to say :p

im waiting till the 20th as ive got oblivion preordered, this is just to pass the time :p

Fffft... RTS's can be a "bit" hard... I tell you, the Zero HOur games I have won against the odds! Multiplayer.. obvious.. good story time children!

I was playing as China Tank General, agaisnt a good mate. He was GLA Demo General... we went mad! I mhad many nukes, he had many Scuds. So, I nuked the bastard, mine were ready first! Haha... but lo! Half hjis base rebuilt because of those cunting tunnels... and his defense was miles away from main base! I struggled, launched two more, but my base was lost! Gone! So, I sent a dozer out the middle of the map, and built me a command centre, so my abilities were still good... and of course, a war factory! Cue lots of Battlemasters being built. So, I made a few buildings here and there and some stashed dozers, and promtly sent lots of tanks to him, as a last resort. He had no units (they were long nuked, I wasn't letting 50 odd quad cannons live!) and his base was no more! Haha, sucker!
    C&C is always good, when you have a decent ISP. i was going to say something like battlefield 2, Half Life 2 or Unreal Tournament 2004 but you said you werent in the mood for FPS....
    battlefield 2 :D

only game thats been worthy of buying in a while (half life 2 being the other exception)
    ive got battlefield 2, half life 2.

ive played two strategy games online: c&c tib sun, which was immense fun :D and aoe 2 - however, i only played that once and on that occasion i was rushed within a minute by about 40 of those fully upgraded french paladins
    Yeh Age of Empires 2 was pretty good, although I really can get bored of Strategy games like these very easily. They can get very repetitive very quickly.
    ooh, you should definately try dystopia http://dystopia-game.com/ if you have HL:2.

it's very good, and free :)
    Replicant wrote:
    ooh, you should definately try dystopia http://dystopia-game.com/ if you have HL:2.

it's very good, and free :)

I think I might do at some point. At the moment though, need to play some more battle for middle earth 2. Im hoping if I play enough strategy games by the time oblivion comes out ill be dying for an rpg. I get bored of games very quickly, which can sometimes be expensive :(

The problem is once you find out how to do it then it loses its appeal. For this reason, a lot of story based games are fun as the designers make it harder and can change the type of skills you have to apply. Some other games are just more of the same but harder. However, you can only really play a linear rpg once :(. Thats why I like TES as they are open ended story based games :p
    Age of Empires II was my favourite out of the AOE series. AOE III was damn good too. I don't know how the numbering works because I thought that Age of Mythology should effectively be called AOE III (being the 3rd in the series), and then the new one to be called AOE IV.

I brought AOE III and World of Warcraft on the same day, on 14.Dec.2005.
    Going to Game later as I have a voucher. What game should I get? I'm in the mood for strategy, and I was thinking that new star wars one, but the reviews are awful, so considering battle for middle earth 2. The reason I'm going to game is because I have a £10 voucher, and have done since my 18th birthday (23rd sep last year :p). I hope its still valid, because they have cards instead of vouchers these days... either way I'll just kick up a fuss and say its go no expiry date printed on it, and demand to see the manager, and I'm in no doubt they'll cough up :)

So, what game?

Imperial Glory (think Medieval Total War with muskets) & Cossacks 2 (think Cossacks mixed with Total War).
    Spliffie wrote:
    Imperial Glory (think Medieval Total War with muskets) & Cossacks 2 (think Cossacks mixed with Total War).

I just completed the good campaign :/ may have a gander at imperial glory, played the demo and thought the game mechanics were a bit messed up which spoiled a good game (for example, units were too awkward to move around and set up). Cossacks 2, haven't tried, have tried the first one in the series though and thought it was ok but got repetitive quickly :( just build build build and set a waypoint on the enemy base and you win.