Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

McDonalds having to close 25 UK "restaurants"

Oh yes!

Is this a turning point? Is the consumption of the worst kind of junk food imaginable in decline? That could only be good news for the country.

*waits for someone to ask about the terrible consequences of a few dozen Mcjobs being lost*
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally it would not bother me at all, if they all close, as over the last couple of years I have only visited them about twice for food, as they where the only place open when I was living work late. The only time Igo in there now is to use the toliets.
    aladdin ...i just heard 150!
    Little_one wrote:
    Personally it would not bother me at all, if they all close, as over the last couple of years I have only visited them about twice for food, as they where the only place open when I was living work late. The only time Igo in there now is to use the toliets.
    Oh yes the proverbial 'McShit'.

And if they say anything about toilets being for patrons only and you tell them you've just eaten there, that's a 'McShit with Lies'. :D
    Since McDonald’s has 1,250 ‘restaurants’ in the UK I’m not sure if closing 25 is really a turning point. And to be honest if McDonald’s does endure a noticeable decline – or slide further I think we’re kidding ourselves if we think that will lead to a radical improvement in public health. McDonald’s is a handy scapegoat for rising obesity, there are other far more influential factors. Laziness being the primary one, if you can’t be bothered to cook a proper meal and instead live on processed chemical laced supermarket ready-meals and are too lazy to exercise you’re gonna get fat.
    aladdin ...i just heard 150!
    What. 150 closing down?

Hooray!
    Aladdin wrote:
    What. 150 closing down?

Hooray!
    on the radio half an hour ago!
    Since McDonald’s has 1,250 ‘restaurants’ in the UK I’m not sure if closing 25 is really a turning point. And to be honest if McDonald’s does endure a noticeable decline – or slide further I think we’re kidding ourselves if we think that will lead to a radical improvement in public health. McDonald’s is a handy scapegoat for rising obesity, there are other far more influential factors. Laziness being the primary one, if you can’t be bothered to cook a proper meal and instead live on processed chemical laced supermarket ready-meals and are too lazy to exercise you’re gonna get fat.
    Yes, you are right in that respect, but any change in eating trends is to be welcomed. That fewer people are choosing to eat there can only be good news, and if McD becomes less fashionable amongst children then it'd be far easier for many parents to take them to eat elsewhere.

Even other forms of fast food (sandwiches, even subs) are much preferable to McDonalds food.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Yes, you are right in that respect, but any change in eating trends is to be welcomed. That fewer people are choosing to eat there can only be good news, and if McD becomes less fashionable amongst children then it'd be far easier for many parents to take them to eat elsewhere.

Even other forms of fast food (sandwiches, even subs) are much preferable to McDonalds food.

True. McDonald’s are also bad for the environment, they’re killing the rainforest according to some leaflet I found on the tube.
    they’re killing the rainforest according to some leaflet I found on the tube.
    the chinese are killing it even faster!
    to feed the new cities in chgina a huge number of deals have been done all over south america ...burn the forrest down ...grow soya.
    They took the McChicken Sandwich off the 99p menu....big mistake.
    All of those meals taste vile and i hope Macdonalds shuts for life!
    Walkindude wrote:
    They took the McChicken Sandwich off the 99p menu....big mistake.

You can get a mcchicken sandwich 'pound saver' or something now, which is a bit more basic than the usual and comes in paper not a box. :/

I think its overpriced really, but the problem with it is that its terribly convenient to just walk in and stand in the express queue for all of 20 seconds and then eat your food. However, I normally cook / prepare most of my food anyway, and so dont succumb to 'convenience eating' so much (anymore :p)
    You can get a mcchicken sandwich 'pound saver' or something now, which is a bit more basic than the usual and comes in paper not a box. :/
    Chances are the wrapping has more nutritional values than the burger.
    Its so funny seeing people on here blaming McDonald's for everything imaginable. The Golden Arches, those symbols of American Power & Culture sit astride the nations of the world like a Colossus, long may they do so. Its many a burger-flipper thats ended up a rich franchise owner. You gotta start somewhere and what better place to start your business career - serving shit to the obese lazy prols whose only ambition in life is have a whole wardrobe of fake Burbery clothes and miles of Elizabeth Duke bling gold chains, that is until the burger fat eventually hardens their arteries.
    i think it was 125 are turning into mcdonalds lounge style places with sofas and paninis

the other 25 are closing for good

i read it in the paper, but it was the mirror.......
    rickramone wrote:
    You gotta start somewhere and what better place to start your business career - serving shit to the obese lazy prols whose only ambition in life is have a whole wardrobe of fake Burbery clothes and miles of Elizabeth Duke bling gold chains, that is until the burger fat eventually hardens their arteries.

For a Christian you don't sound very charitable and good spirited do you?
    In fact, you don't happen to live in Chalfont St. Peter do you?
    Aladdin wrote:
    In fact, you don't happen to live in Chalfont St. Peter do you?

I believe he was a Ramones fan as well...
    the one in the city centre of durham makes a good amount of money, just their rent on the place they are in, is atronomically high

and its a franchised place as well
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Good.

Less shit like that, the better.
    I'm not exactly crying over my cup of tea at the loss of McDonald's. I quite like the rainforest, and anything that saves it the better.

Coca-Cola hopefully will be next to have profits collapse.

But it makes me chuckle how everyone has deserted McDonald's for Subway- just as corporate, just as envionmentally unsound, just as calorifc, just as bad for you.

People are not fat because they eat the odd Big Mac. People are fat because we have a sedentary lifestyle now- we sit at desks, we sit on the bus or car to work, we have less time to cook proper meals.
    Kermit wrote:
    But it makes me chuckle how everyone has deserted McDonald's for Subway- just as corporate, just as envionmentally unsound, just as calorifc, just as bad for you.

Absolutely, the people I know who've worked there say it isn't good behind the scenes either, and the ingredients aren't half as fresh and healthy as they'd like you to believe. So another addition to the list.

I can't believe people continue to eat at McDonalds, after everything we know about it. I suppose at least now there'll be 25 (150?) fewer places at which people can indulge their weird McDonalds love.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    briggi wrote:
    Absolutely, the people I know who've worked there say it isn't good behind the scenes either, and the ingredients aren't half as fresh and healthy as they'd like you to believe. So another addition to the list.

Pfft, Bar Meals are where it's at. Can't beat them! :thumb:
    Aladdin wrote:
    *waits for someone to ask about the terrible consequences of a few dozen Mcjobs being lost*

don't they somhow get away with paying below the minimum wage too?
    Aladdin wrote:
    Oh yes!

Is this a turning point? Is the consumption of the worst kind of junk food imaginable in decline? That could only be good news for the country.

God I hope so. I got food poisoning from those bastards once, the comtempt with which I was treated when I was well enough to complain was incredible.
    katralla wrote:

my wage was quite good for them when i worked there, ages and ages ago
    katralla wrote:

No.

The minimum wage is set at different levels for different age groups. Under-18s have no minimum wage. That's why all McDonald's staff are still in nappies.
    rickramone wrote:
    what better place to start your business career - serving shit to the obese lazy prols

How about selling phony religious artefacts to brain-dead Christians?
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    How about selling phony religious artefacts to brain-dead Christians?
    you confused me there voodoo.
    I had the impression that rick "scourge of the proles" ramone was passing himself off as some kind of Christian.