Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Thierry Henry

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Addict wrote:
    You are a clown.

Do you think you could put any old Tom, Dick or Harry there and they'd get the goals he does.

They'd get their fair share of them, for sure.

RvN is a very very good striker, brilliant at what he does. He's not world-class because he doesn't do anything else. He certainly doesn't get the assists that a Henry does, or even that Cole and Yorke did. He's a cowardly diving cheating twat too, but that's by the by. I would say RvN is certainly in the top three strikers in the Premiershit, that's for sure.

I would grant him the awareness to exploit FIFA's shitty new offside laws, definitely. That's how he loses defenders. Brighter than most at exploiting another shite law.

And yeah, Rooney's medals tally shouldn't be criticised. That wasn't my point. But too many ManYoo fans wank on about Rooney, and how him and the diving Portuguese charver are so much better than Arsenal's lot, when the facts do not bear it out.
    Since when did assists become so important for a world class striker though?

Ronaldo (Real Madrid) *was* world class but hardly reknowned for his assists. A striker's job is to score, and there is noone better than RvN at that. He plays the offside better than most in the world. He can hold the ball up, play off both feet, and crucially he can head a ball brilliantly and work from crosses. Things that Henry can't do for shit, and things that will prevent him ever being reknowned as one of the best. He's still world class at what he does though, just totally different from RvN.

I remember a few seasons all the pundits would discuss 'Would you rather have Henry or RvN?'. The general consensus was 'Both'.
    Addict wrote:
    Since when did assists become so important for a world class striker though?

Ronaldo (Real Madrid) *was* world class but hardly reknowned for his assists. A striker's job is to score, and there is noone better than RvN at that. He plays the offside better than most in the world. He can hold the ball up, play off both feet, and crucially he can head a ball brilliantly and work from crosses. Things that Henry can't do for shit, and things that will prevent him ever being reknowned as one of the best. He's still world class at what he does though, just totally different from RvN.
    To start with a strikers *main* thing is to score goals, but to be a total footballer the assists is a massive part of a strikers game. A striker that can set goals up and score them for fun is more of an asset to a team than one that can just score them, this is common sense.
    That list of things that RvHorse can apparantly do and Henry can't, well only one of them things henry can't do aswell as horsehead is the head the ball.
    He can't hold the ball up as well. And being good in the air is crucial for a striker. I'd also say RvN is more clinical inside the box in how he can create and convert chances.

A total footballer needs to be able to head.
    I don't think Henry is that bad at heading, really, but the way Arsenal play doesn't allow him to show it. He's no Shearer admittedly, but then again nor is Raul and he's world class.

It depends what you mean by "total footballer". The fake Ronaldo can't head for toffee, but he's pretty good- he very well could be world class in a few years. Henry isn't a traditional number nine, but then he was always a winger not a striker. I don't think Henry and RvN can be compared- stick Horsey out on the wing and he'd look poor.
    Kermit wrote:
    The fake Ronaldo can't head for toffee, but he's pretty good- he very well could be world class in a few years.

Ronaldo most definitely can head!

He plays a Rooney type role for Portugal and has scored loads in the air. He's over 6 foot. In fact he scored a header from a Figo corner during the midweek friendlies (and he's scored other headers for Portugal, admittedly less for United because he plays more winger and takes the set pieces). He scored twice midweek actually, his second was a peach after a class run down the left. He's in a rich vein of form, finally leaving his personal problems behind I hope.

ETA: Sky Sports Opta player of the month for February as well.