Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

chip & pin query

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    On that note, you should bear in mind that sometimes company policy is enforced to the point that the till will decline cards if the card-holder doesn't know their PIN - it's not up to the individual sales assistant or (often) even the manager within a large chain.
    At my co op we have chip and pin technology but if you say you've forgot the pin then you can still sign for it. :/ a fraudsters dream
    dr_carter wrote:
    The banks may rarely see some of these customers - and can hardly be expected to work out from a database of names which customers will have trouble remembering their PIN.

Not in the slightest.

The banks have been mailing out their customers for months about chip and pin and the different options. Frankly it's not the shop's place to advise their customers on what they can do.
    The checkout staff will see these people on a regular basis and SHOULD be advising them what to do. It makes it even worse that some checkout staff are visibly giving out incorrect information.

Giving out incorrect information is unfortunate, but again should serve to show that it's best if the shopkeepers don't advise at all.

Besides, in a lot of shops if people are that old-fashioned and don't know their pin then they can use a cheque.
    Mist wrote:

Besides, in a lot of shops if people are that old-fashioned and don't know their pin then they can use a cheque.

Thats what i have found have increased alot since 14th feb. More cheques being used.
    I also notice a hell of a lot of customers putting thier pin number into thier mobile phone and looking it up before they use it. A thiefs dream really.
    Tweety wrote:
    I also notice a hell of a lot of customers putting thier pin number into thier mobile phone and looking it up before they use it. A thiefs dream really.
    I do that, except I dont have them under Pin or anything as obvious as that, I have Bob and Mary :D

Please no one mug me for my purse and mobile now please :(
    soooo many people have theirs written on a piece of paper in their purse along with their card!

and thankyou mist and kermit.
    I do that, except I dont have them under Pin or anything as obvious as that, I have Bob and Mary :D

*tuts at you* :p you best change it now :p
    isnt it the same pin as the whole in the wall though? i dont see how people can not know it lol.
    isnt it the same pin as the whole in the wall though? i dont see how people can not know it lol.

well i said that in another thread and someone made the valid point of credit cards etc. you don't often use them to take cash out of the atm.
    I don't know the PIN for at least two of my credit cards.
    Tweety wrote:
    I would serve 10 customers an hour if i explained to every customer that came through the checkout the different options if they don't know thier pin.
    I don't think its my job to make sure they know all thier options, the bank get paid money for people using these cards, they should be the ones telling thier customers what to do.
    Any shop has every right to refuse any sale as it is a private business. In theory if a shop manager doesn't like the look of you, he has every right to ask you to leave the store as it is a private premises.
    Pensioners have to use a pin to access thier pensions at post offices. If they have to remember thier pin why shouldn't everyone else.

Okay, first of all - you don't have to explain to every customer, only those that are clearly having difficulty.
    Second of all, it's the guidance from the Chip and PIN people that shops and businesses should be advising customers - and banks have all sent out leaflets but you can't guarantee customers will read them.
    Thirdly, you have a right to refuse a sale, but you have no right to demand that all cards must have a PIN entered.
    Finally - pensioners have other options!
    piccolo wrote:
    On that note, you should bear in mind that sometimes company policy is enforced to the point that the till will decline cards if the card-holder doesn't know their PIN - it's not up to the individual sales assistant or (often) even the manager within a large chain.

Not necessarily so - the whole thing can be overriden simply by using the click-clack machines that all stores are required to keep as backup.
    These can be banked in the same way as EFTPOS but just take a bit longer!
    Mist wrote:
    Not in the slightest.

The banks have been mailing out their customers for months about chip and pin and the different options. Frankly it's not the shop's place to advise their customers on what they can do.

Giving out incorrect information is unfortunate, but again should serve to show that it's best if the shopkeepers don't advise at all.

The banks have been mailing out but that's still no guarantee it'll actually be read. I quite often throw letters from the bank away when I see it's not something I want to read. The guidelines still say that shops are expected to advise customers where possible.

Shop staff should have been effectively trained, and small shop owners should have sufficiently read the material so that they can advise their customers.
    dr_carter wrote:
    Okay, first of all - you don't have to explain to every customer, only those that are clearly having difficulty.
    Second of all, it's the guidance from the Chip and PIN people that shops and businesses should be advising customers - and banks have all sent out leaflets but you can't guarantee customers will read them.
    Thirdly, you have a right to refuse a sale, but you have no right to demand that all cards must have a PIN entered.
    Finally - pensioners have other options!

No i agree that is wrong doing that, we don't tell people they have to have cards that are pin enabled. What we do say is if its a pin card and they forget the pin we cannot accept it.
    As for telling every customer about it, to be fair i am often put on a till that mainly the elderly come to, and they are the biggest culprits for this so yes i would have to tell almost every customer!
    dr_carter wrote:
    Not necessarily so - the whole thing can be overriden simply by using the click-clack machines that all stores are required to keep as backup.
    These can be banked in the same way as EFTPOS but just take a bit longer!

It can be overridden, but you're missing one crucial point.

If the transaction is fraudulent, then the store is liable to pay the bank's losses. That's why they don't do it.