Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Metabolism and diet pills

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So curiousity got me. These diet pills that supposidly increase your metabolism, well, say you took them for a month, when you stopped taking them would your metabolism go back to normal, or would it be slower than normal?

P.S. This is nothing more than a curiousity question. I'm not planning on wasting my money and this is not a question "for a friend" and all that, so we don't need to get into the pointlessness of them :p

Comments

• Options
    yes i presume it would go back to normal because i think those pills contain something similar to speed and increase your heart rate.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    yes i presume it would go back to normal because i think those pills contain something similar to speed and increase your heart rate.

i think you are right, i know someone who has been taking those and she constantly shakes and says she can actually feel her heart constantly beating fast. i think it sounds dangerous and i can only imagine that any weight you lose you would just put back on when u finish taking the pills anyway.
  • Options
    Sugar wrote:
    i think you are right, i know someone who has been taking those and she constantly shakes and says she can actually feel her heart constantly beating fast. i think it sounds dangerous and i can only imagine that any weight you lose you would just put back on when u finish taking the pills anyway.

I feel like that when I have a few too many pro-plus tablets on days where I'm tired. Its horrible.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:

Thanks. I was thinking it would go back to what it was when it was normal, but then wondered why when people stop taking them they balloon right up, that maybe it was because your metabolism went slower, I'm full of curiousity, thanks.
  • Options
    If their bodies are undernurished whilst on the pills it will go into 'starvation mode'. This means that when they then increase their intake, their cells are HYPER driven to store energy reserves (fat) in case of another starvation period. Therefore a diet that would previously have maintained their size before will now make them balloon. It's an evolutionary design element to keep us alive when food sources are sporadic, which is redundant for us rich ass porky pies. lol

I think I may have read about med research into 'pills' that create the opposite effect, to make the cells less inclined to store, or maybe to just turn off the starvation mode switch. whatever. the diet industry's huge- career potential in abundance...
  • Options
    I dunno. I was a skeptic but I tried some of those Adios tablets and I have to say, I was impressed. They cost 8 quid so I didn't feel too out of pocket buying them. I ate the same as I did last week and I lost 4lb. I was pretty impressed tbh.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I think I may have read about med research into 'pills' that create the opposite effect, to make the cells less inclined to store, or maybe to just turn off the starvation mode switch. whatever. the diet industry's huge- career potential in abundance...

They are largely banned now but the origional slimming pills were amphetamine group drugs (now some have ephadrine in). These would have the effect you describe.

They speed up the burning of calories, increase energy so you are more active, decrease hunger, and stimulate the 'fight or flight' response of the body so it grabs at any energy it can get, even stored fats which are hard to digest. So on paper amphetamines are good slimming pills. But there is a massive list of down sides both health and emotional.
  • Options
    The new pills I was reading about aren't phet based ones. I think they were aiming to adress issue at gene level by controlling the 'switch' that encourages your cells to store energy, probably from a New Scientist article- will have a dig in my collection for details+source...
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    The new pills I was reading about aren't phet based ones. I think they were aiming to adress issue at gene level by controlling the 'switch' that encourages your cells to store energy, probably from a New Scientist article- will have a dig in my collection for details+source...

I've heard reports of a drug like that in the testing phase for a while, its supposed to be the magic bullet for obesity, except of course its not because it wont get people off their arses.
  • Options
    aleox wrote:
    I dunno. I was a skeptic but I tried some of those Adios tablets and I have to say, I was impressed. They cost 8 quid so I didn't feel too out of pocket buying them. I ate the same as I did last week and I lost 4lb. I was pretty impressed tbh.
    are the adios ones like speed?
    what are the side-effects of short term use?
  • Options
    I took some that came from America.

Never again! Never felt my heart beat so fast in my life.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    are the adios ones like speed?
    what are the side-effects of short term use?

No, anything which is even like amphetamine is banned in the UK.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    No, anything which is even like amphetamine is banned in the UK.
    so how does adios work then? i tried to google but i couldnt find anything.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:

I dont know if it does.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:

Apparently it contains a mild thyroid stimulant, which speeds up the body's metabolic rate. It's got all herbal shit in it.
  • Options
    herbal doesn't necessarily mean it's safe or it doesn't work either - ephedrine is hrbal and is now banned...