Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Periods n such

I'm sorry if this has been talked about before but I couldn't find anything. Basically when I'm 'on' aside from the usual period pain's alot of women get when I stand for say 15 minutes or more I tend to feel kinda faint and ill. It's hard to describe but a horrible feeling. Does anyone else get this when 'on'?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have that absolutely every period for the first 2 days at least and still feel faint throughout. My remedy is take it really easy, lie in front of the telly lots with a hot water bottle and if nessercary take ibrufen or paracetamol.
  • Options
    ah good, thought it was just me. i have the habit of getting stuck going monthly food shopping wiht my mum on these days and as you can imagine it's not too fun hours later when you feel like you want to pass out and you're still on the fruit and veg isle
  • Options
    The reason you feel faint is most probably a lack of iron due to the blood loss at that time of the month. Just take an iron supplement and you shpuld feel bit more alert. I had a spell of fainting not so long ago and the doc did some tests and told me i had mild anaemia (iron deficiency) and so to take iron supplements each day. He also asked me if i felt faint round that time of the month as that could be why.
  • Options
    Hi janjan

The advise on the boards seems really useful in relation to dealing with feeling faint and ill during your period - I saw an article in this month's Holland & Barratt Healthy magazine (page 13) which indicates that iron deficiency is indeed a common factor in feeling rundown or faint during you period primarily due to blood loss.
    It also claims that your body needs 500 extra calories a day in the run up to your period, as that's when you iron levels are at their lowest - they advise on these days, have a healthy mid-morning snack and mid-afternoon snack to keep everything ticking over normally & prevent low blood sugar.

All very healthy but interesting I thought !
    :angel: