Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Too alt for office?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im torn.

I want a job I can get in most places, so Ive been on a course for administration for the past 8 months, and Ive nearly completed it.

Thing is people keep telling me I prob wont get employed cos of how I look - ive got a few tattoos and face piercings, and dye my hair alot....

What should i do?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, find out if it's true, first of all. If you're behind the scenes some companies won't care, if you are involved with customers they may want you to look more conventional, obviously you may have to choose how much your appearance matters to you
    I think it just depends on the employer tbh. I work behind the scenes in a solicitors but we still have to dress smart and have a good appearance. The appears of employees reflect on the company.
    I dont know why I bothered choosing this career...i guess I thought there would be offices and organisations thatd be cool with it. :shocking:
    Some people are so single minded.
    Not single minded, but staff represent the company, and as such generally a smart appearance is expected.
    when you say face piercings how many and which ones. Tattoos aren't normally a problem as most of them are normally covered with your clothes. Do you mean Office Admin or Computer/network admin work. your find for the most part if its computer admin they wont care as your normally in a office away from the main group. but if its office admin your talking about then that might be different but it really depends on the company.

You could always take out some or all of the piercings for interviews then when you get teh job (have it in writing and all signed etc...) ask them what there policy on piercings are. I'm customer facing quite alot so i cant have alot of the piercings i want, but they dont mind me having a few. but then most of mine are hidden under my clothes.

hope you get the job. i'm currently waiting for a couple of mine to heal so i can get them stretched and saving for my next tattoo. Hope it works out
    It depends what you have, where you have it, and who you want to work for.

A lot of corporate businesses don't like facial piercings, but then again, I work for Accenture (who are as corporate as you can get) and there are several girls in the office with nose studs and tattoos on their backs and shoulders.

If you think it's a problem, take them out for interviews, and see what the policy is. If you look like a ball bearing you don't look business-like, which is important to remember, it looks as slovenly as if you turn up in jeans.
    It depend on the company. At work its all internet and phone based so we can have pericings and tattos and dress how we want as long as we look presentable and dress up for meetings if we have too. The best thing to do is take out your perocongs or where very small studs for you interviews and make sure your tattos are covered. then find out where their policy is and see if you could work with it.