Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Does anyone remember miner's?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Watching 'brassed off' again on tv, made me think about how Maggie Thatcher managed single handed to destroy one of the fabrics of working class britain 'the pit'.

What do people remember about the miner's strike, police kicking s**t out of protesters etc, and are we going full circle?

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, i remeber the miners strike - some of my family were involved in the trouble in stoke.
    The miners started a peaceful strike against the closure of the pits, which gave most men in the potteries thier livliehood. When it looked like Maggie was losing, she sent the thugs - sorry i mean police in to break the strike. Some of the strikers were just there to cause trouble, but we did not desreve the treatment we received at the hands of the police. They were beating the crap out of anyone who wouldnt move. then they were arresting those poeple who defended themselves for assualt!!
    On the fact of things coming full cricle, consider this; Maggie had the Falklands, Major the gulf; these two events were good PR for them, and helped to keep them in power - what will Blair come up with? which was is there left? the Balkans?
    Has anybody elese notice that the goverment have used the fuel protest to hide the fact that there will not be a sahrahs law? a conivnient smokescreen i think?
  • Options
    Thatcher the milk snatcher! She was and still is an evil fascist bitch.

Derby, I think that you are right in saying we have gone full circle because I can see Blair backing down and letting his right hand man take over just so Labour can stay in government, just like Thatcher did with that dimwit Major.

Everyone hates the punk ass bitch, Blair and we won't take no more shit!

This government has rubbed up every group and section of society the wrong way and he will get his come upance!

• Options
    Originally posted by La Mer:
    Yeah, i remeber the miners strike - some of my family were involved in the trouble in stoke.
    B]

I spent most of my younger life around the collieries of derbyshire/nottinghamshire, moving to near Stoke, when I was 15 for a couple of years. I also remember the trouble, particularly around Trentham at Hem Heath mine. I didn't realize till I just checked my facts, its now the site of Stoke City FC.

On going back to derbys/notts border, there is absolutely nothing left to ever tell there was a mining community once there.

The ironic thing is, there is still enough coal underground to keep us in fuel for the next century.

Maggie Thatcher and Nuclear fuel, funny to look back at how far we have come, NOT!
  • Options
    I heard, on the radio the other day, some-one speculating as to whether Maggie would have beat the miners if the miners had had mobile phones like the truckers do today.

Interesting thought.

J9