Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Norton Internet Security.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right I am in need of some help/advice here.

I currently cant access my googlemail account due to my instalization of Norton on friday. I now cant disable it either according to my boyfriend due to the fact I didnt install it as an Administrator or something. Now I also cant uninstall it...

Hope thats enough details if not let me know and I will explain more

Basically what can I do to get it to work?! And also I cant find a phone number for norton anywhere! Does anyone know it?

Thanks dudes.

Comments

• Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    First mistake - touching a Norton Product.

This is the website of those fuckers - provided Norton hasnt blocked it (It would NOT supprise me). Poke them.

Possibly the settings under Security are too high - turn them down a notch.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Go into your administrator account and remove it from there. (when you log in to windows xp)
    Administrator account? As in my computer? I only have myself on here as im the only user.

Sorry I really have no idea about computers *blushes*
    I had similar problems with my norton. It actually stopped letting me access the internet at all :(
    the only way to get it to let me do anything was to switch it off.
    and i had the same problem trying to reach anyone at norton, like they had completely hidden all phone numbers and help pages on the net too.
    In the end, I gave up and got a different package.. i know others who have had similar problems too
    Peter Norton is(was?) something of a god. 15 years ago he sold out to Symantec and everything went downhill.

In my, very humble, and unintelligent opinion, forget anything created these days that contains the name Symantec or Norton(apart from old motorbikes! ;)).

Free antivirus:-
    http://www.grisoft.com/
    http://www.free-av.com/
    http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Free firewall:-
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp
    http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm
    http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

I no longer run Windows, so cannot comment on the effectiveness of the products linked to above. But I've installed ZoneAlarm and AVG on my parents PC, and haven't had a problem with them.
    Yeah but the problem is I currently cant even take it off my computer. Thats what im needing help with as I cant get there at the moment and thats bugging me big time!

I need to take it off before I can re-install it so it works right.

Anyone?
    Okay i think your on XP What you do when you turn on your PC is press F5 This will take you into an advanced menu then using the arrow keys go down to SAFE MODE and press enter this will now load alot of words on the screen, Dont panic its only loading this will then load you to Log on screen You will notice another Log on.

This will be called Admin Or something like that, Click it it will load and then You Should Be able to uninstall it, if not well you could always just go to program files and delete it and Hope it works.

Get McAfee PM If you would like it :)
    Tryed using safe mode ... got me no where :(

Deleting the program files ... will it not still be presnet on the computer just not seen?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Peter Norton is(was?) something of a god. 15 years ago he sold out to Symantec and everything went downhill.

In my, very humble, and unintelligent opinion, forget anything created these days that contains the name Symantec or Norton(apart from old motorbikes! ;)).

Free antivirus:-
    http://www.grisoft.com/
    http://www.free-av.com/
    http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Free firewall:-
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp
    http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm
    http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

I no longer run Windows, so cannot comment on the effectiveness of the products linked to above. But I've installed ZoneAlarm and AVG on my parents PC, and haven't had a problem with them.

Most pointless post ever.

I hate people who respond to queries with "ah, well, you should never use microsoft/norton/ie/whatever, use this instead". It ain't helping.

I know this post ain't helping much either but it just really narks me. The poor girl is looking for advice and this is the shittest thing ever.

It is everywhere in this forum and it is really annoying.

Sorry cute_chicky. Hope you get it all sorted out soon though :)
    Well erm, yes it will remove it and hopefuly disable so There will be traces of it but once you install a new program No problems!
    There's one thing I just can't seem to get my head around. You get a Norton Anti-virus when you purchase a computer (at least I did), but it is deactivated a few weeks later on. Also, it costs to get it back.

Sounds like a rip-off to me. Anyone care to enlighten me?
    Sorted via PM - feel free to ignore what is below. Kept for archive reasons only.

Most pointless post ever.

I hate people who respond to queries with "ah, well, you should never use microsoft/norton/ie/whatever, use this instead". It ain't helping.

I know this post ain't helping much either but it just really narks me. The poor girl is looking for advice and this is the shittest thing ever.

It is everywhere in this forum and it is really annoying.

Sorry cute_chicky. Hope you get it all sorted out soon though :)

Ah, cool. Well in future, I'll come in, slag off someone who has spent a litte bit of their time trying to compile some kind of help, and then sod off having done nothing constructive at all. But it's cool, because posts like mine are the most pointless ones ever.

If I was running Windows, then maybe I could help things a little better. Un(!)fortunately, I don't, so I did what I could - I suggested a range of free alternatives that didn't cause anything like the same amount of problems as the package the original poster used.

Next time I'll just pop in moan about someone and sod off. Oh, actually, I won't - because I try to help other people rather than just moan about what 'narks' me.

Feel free to have a pop via PM, as I doubt anything you have to say will be of benefit to the original poster.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Next time I'll just pop in moan about someone and sod off. Oh, actually, I won't - because I try to help other people rather than just moan about what 'narks' me.

Ah, you see, that's my point though. You didn't help the OP. Oh well. Good try though :thumb:
    Right I am in need of some help/advice here.

I currently cant access my googlemail account due to my instalization of Norton on friday. I now cant disable it either according to my boyfriend due to the fact I didnt install it as an Administrator or something. Now I also cant uninstall it...

Hope thats enough details if not let me know and I will explain more

Basically what can I do to get it to work?! And also I cant find a phone number for norton anywhere! Does anyone know it?

Thanks dudes.

Do you have an administrator account on your PC?

Can you right click on the icon in the task bar and choose shutdown or similar?

What happens when you try to uninstall it?
    One I have only been able to access administrator through safe mode ... theres a way to enable it i just cant remember how.

Two there should be a disable option, its not there thats why im trying to uninstall so I can re-install properly.

Three it tells em I need to log in as an administrator on norton and do something except I cant even log out...
    One I have only been able to access administrator through safe mode ... theres a way to enable it i just cant remember how.

Two there should be a disable option, its not there thats why im trying to uninstall so I can re-install properly.

Three it tells em I need to log in as an administrator on norton and do something except I cant even log out...

Have you got windows XP home or professional?

If you press ctrl+alt+del does it give you a "log off" option?

I don't use fast user switching or auto login myself so I'm not sure how you log off and back on again.

You'll need to figure out the administrator login thing before you will be able to do much, unfortunately.
    quarfly wrote:
    There's one thing I just can't seem to get my head around. You get a Norton Anti-virus when you purchase a computer (at least I did), but it is deactivated a few weeks later on. Also, it costs to get it back.

Sounds like a rip-off to me. Anyone care to enlighten me?

demo. tis a tactic to make you buy of course. They give it to you for a free trial to show you how you couldn't possibly live without it. Then once you've had enough time to be suitably hooked/all your files in their incompatable format/unaware that other probably better and cheaper products exist, they sting you with the purchase code. Sneaky marketing tactics, I dun like.
    To get to the adminsistrator account on windows xp at the log in screen press ctrl alt delete and it should bring you to a log in where you type rather than just click pictures. Type 'administrator' and then enter your password, if when you set the computer up the admin password is the same as yours. Or there might be no password. So many possibilities.
    It is XP to those unshure.

I found what you were on about shyboy all possible passwords that have been on this computer were rejected and when i didnt put a password said I couldnt access it due to restrictions.

Would a system restore be an option?
    Are you running XP Home or XP Professional?
    It is XP to those unshure.

I found what you were on about shyboy all possible passwords that have been on this computer were rejected and when i didnt put a password said I couldnt access it due to restrictions.

Would a system restore be an option?

yes, if you can do it without the admin password. Although it probably won't achieve anything, it's generally only useful for rolling back drivers.
    I managed to do a system restore fine ... strange as its never worked before.

Norton has vanished ... although the files are still there ... is that a problem?

Thanks for all the advice guys!
    katralla wrote:
    demo. tis a tactic to make you buy of course. They give it to you for a free trial to show you how you couldn't possibly live without it. Then once you've had enough time to be suitably hooked/all your files in their incompatable format/unaware that other probably better and cheaper products exist, they sting you with the purchase code. Sneaky marketing tactics, I dun like.

Exactly what I suspected... Damn norton thugs. :p

Needed it confirmed. Need to start a new thread about a free software to keep my laptop clean. Maybe later.