Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should I go to uni?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've applied to do a business management course, but have recently learned that I dont need a degree for what I want to do, and even if I do get it I'll still have to go back to college to do 3 more NVQs. Is there any point in my going in the first place?

I wont be living in halls so I wouldnt benifit from that experience as I pretty much live independantly as it is. I'm so confused and getting a degree is so hard. I'm already getting ill because of the stress of trying to get a C at AS/A Level.

The debt dosnt appel to me either. I know you only pay it of a bit at a time, but I dont really want it in the first place.

I'm so confused:(
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it doesn't sound like it would be worth it, especially since you still need to do NVQs at college AND you won't be living in halls.
    how long does it take to get an NVQ?
    unfortunatly the only person who can make that choice is you is what everyone keeps on telling me. Then you get the people who didnt go who say they wished they had andthen you get the people who have gone who say its the best thing they have ever done. Only one question you got to ask yourself will this help me get to were i want to be yes then do it no then dont.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Unless you need to, i'd say don't bother. If you don't need it, why have the extra work adn stress when you could be getting on with what you want and need to do?
    Do you want a degree? Do you want the university experience? Think about what it would mean in the short AND long term. If you don't want, go for the option that gets you where you want to be in the most direct way.

There be various reasons for wanting a degree, mine include: validation in my field; dithering about career options and avoiding the workplace; personal satisfaction, academic challange, and pride; financial-over a working lifetime degree holders earn more than non; being encouraged (pushed?) into it by a parental figure; interest in the topic; sibling rivalry and competition; social status.

I, like you do not want 20k worth of debt in getting a degree- there be more than one way to skin a cat. And I've not been particularly enamoured with the university experience yet.

If you know your career choice, excluding the uni option, I'd say- go for a job in the field to get experience at the same time as getting good qualifications. Even if you don't need 'em, the quals will keep you ahead of the competition over the best jobs. Also, some non-uni qualifications can be eligable towards a degree if you later decide to get one.

Don't panic! You are still young...

If your life plan doesn't include going to uni now, doesn't mean you can't keep it open as an option for the future. Loadsa people study as mature students, and the unis want them too (sometimes with waivers on entrance quals too). You have 5 GCSEs A-C including english, maths, science, language already don't you?
    If in doubt, don't bother going to uni. In any case, there's nothing wrong with waiting. I don't understand the urgency to get into university as soon as you leave school or college. I recommend you don't go - well, not yet. If things change, you can re-evaluate. Also, as you already live independently, you won't need to worry about the things new students worry about.
    No point in rushing into things - it’s probably better to wait a few years before going if you’re not already absolutely certain you want to go to university – it’ll give you some time to decide if you need one and what degree you want. I know a lot of people saddled with gigantic debts they acquired to get degrees they don’t use.
    katralla wrote:
    If your life plan doesn't include going to uni now, doesn't mean you can't keep it open as an option for the future. Loadsa people study as mature students, and the unis want them too (sometimes with waivers on entrance quals too). You have 5 GCSEs A-C including english, maths, science, language already don't you?

Lol No, I have 2 GCSE's English and Drama at C Grade, I have a Pass in Public services which is the equivilant to 2 GSCE's I think. I have my key skills English maths and It all at level 2 and I'm retaking my maths GCSE this year.

I've spoken about it with my mum and I'm still not sure. I do want to go to uni, but now i'm thinking that I should get the GVNQs, get the job then do uni part time, if I still want to go.

I dunno, I'm taking a year out no matter what so I have a while to decide.
    Have you spoken to a careers adviser yet? If I was you and I knew what I wanted to do and knew that what I want doesn't need a degree, I wouldn't bother going.