Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

capital punishment!

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You know what i can see it from your point of view but, i can't see how unless we say rape the person who did it wecan be as bad as him. Also i thought we lived in a society were everyone was equal so how can we be better than him anyway.
  • Options
    doddie wrote:
    You know what i can see it from your point of view but, i can't see how unless we say rape the person who did it wecan be as bad as him. Also i thought we lived in a society were everyone was equal so how can we be better than him anyway.

If we were to rape this person (or do to him whatever they've done to society) that makes us as bad as them... (and brings us down to their level, etc)
  • Options
    doddie wrote:
    Also i thought we lived in a society were everyone was equal so how can we be better than him anyway.

Surely we all know by now that some are more equal than others.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    If we were to rape this person (or do to him whatever they've done to society) that makes us as bad as them... (and brings us down to their level, etc)
    I think this is the point doddie was trying to make, how letting someone get beat up in prison still doesnt compare to the original crime they commited
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Surely we all know by now that some are more equal than others.

Were not led to beleive that though or brought up that way
  • Options
    Led to believe it by whom? While my mummy and daddy always told me I was special and wonderful and deserved the treatment princesses get...they also made me aware that other people don't have the same type of "equality" that we enjoy. Open your eyes, there are probably less equal "equal citizens" living on your road.

I'd also say that you become signifigantly less equal when you're imprisoned for life (often deservedly, but still..), it's quite a punishment and I think some people underestimate it. It's not all shagging and drinking gin like Bad Girls. ;)
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    It's not all shagging and drinking gin like Bad Girls. ;)
    Really? Damn! Better give back that 50 million then :hyper:
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Really? Damn! Better give back that 50 million then :hyper:

:lol: Gutted!
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Led to believe it by whom? While my mummy and daddy always told me I was special and wonderful and deserved the treatment princesses get...they also made me aware that other people don't have the same type of "equality" that we enjoy. Open your eyes, there are probably less equal "equal citizens" living on your road.

I'd also say that you become signifigantly less equal when you're imprisoned for life (often deservedly, but still..), it's quite a punishment and I think some people underestimate it. It's not all shagging and drinking gin like Bad Girls. ;)

Just because you've got more money than someone or have a better lifestyle than someone does not make u a better person, and if u think that money is everything which is the impression im getting u might want to re-evaulate things. Also how many rapists have you ever heard got life
  • Options
    doddie wrote:
    Just because you've got more money than someone or have a better lifestyle than someone does not make u a better person, and if u think that money is everything which is the impression im getting u might want to re-evaulate things.

Excuse me? I definitely don't think I need to re-evaluate my views, and I don't know where you got the impression I was talking about money. Maybe it was the "princess" comment, I didn't mean in the context of palaces and jewels. I was talking about rights, priviledges etc that we're all rightfully supposed to have as equal human beings.
  • Options
    "It's not all shagging and drinking gin like Bad Girls" and a lil from the princess comment thats were got the impression and as i said from my impression i just read it different from how it was meant.
  • Options
    doddie wrote:
    "It's not all shagging and drinking gin like Bad Girls" and a lil from the princess comment thats were got the impression and as i said from my impression i just read it different from how it was meant.

I'm not certain I understand, as I thought my Bad Girls quip was obviously a (shit) joke. But it ain't worth arguing over. ;)
  • Options
    doddie wrote:
    You know what i can see it from your point of view but, i can't see how unless we say rape the person who did it we can be as bad as him. Also i thought we lived in a society were everyone was equal so how can we be better than him anyway.

So torturing him is ok, just not raping him? How far should we go, the finger nails pulled out? Maybe cut off a hand or two? Have a go at him with the cat-o-nine-tails?

You are mixing up equality with morality, we are all equal in law, but that doesnt mean to say we all have the morality of a rapist.
  • Options
    So what should be the punishment for a rapist?
  • Options
    doddie wrote:

erm long term prison sentence anyone, theere'd be plenty of room if we didnt shove drug addicts and 1st time petty offenders in prison
  • Options
    doddie wrote:

Certainly longer prison time than they get now, but I'd rather see them in secure hospitals as the dangerous disturbed people they are.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Certainly longer prison time than they get now, but I'd rather see them in secure hospitals as the dangerous disturbed people they are.

longer time in prison for sure but should it not be indefinet, as if you are saying they should be in secure hospitals should they ever be let out again as there will always be a chance of them re-offending
  • Options
    doddie wrote:
    longer time in prison for sure but should it not be indefinet, as if you are saying they should be in secure hospitals should they ever be let out again as there will always be a chance of them re-offending

I'd like to see risk assessments done before they were released, so if the probation/mental health workers thought they were a continuing risk then they wouldnt be released. But if they werent then they could be. It would remove the stupid situation we have now where rapists are released and everyone know's they are hugely likely to do it again. Sex crimes are different from other forms of violence and should be treated differently.

And of course, as wheresmyplacebo points out if we stopped putting people in prison for drugs charges and for less than 6 months there would be room and money for this change.