Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

UK gender pay gap worst in Europe

2»

Comments

• Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Consider this. Remember when David Cameron said he'd be taking time paternity leave for two weeks? He was condemned for this by David Mellor, of all people. That was enough to convince me Cameron did the right thing. :p

I have some idea about looking after a child, and it's safe to say I would have wanted to spend more time with him. I don't want to see men and women looking back at the past, saying "I wish I'd have spent more time with my kids". You never know when the parents or the kids will be gone. :(

Not The Right Honourable David Mellor! :p What a tit.
    Precisley though - people always end up saying "I wish I'd spent more time with my kids"... and so they should be able to - Men should be allowed leave like women, and women should be fairly paid so they can afford to take time off.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Precisley though - people always end up saying "I wish I'd spent more time with my kids"... and so they should be able to - Men should be allowed leave like women, and women should be fairly paid so they can afford to take time off.
    But ask yourself - how many men would be prepared to take time off to look after the kids?
    stargalaxy wrote:
    But ask yourself - how many men would be prepared to take time off to look after the kids?
    Me! Time off is time off - making a child like Holiday Leave! :p
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Me! Time off is time off - making a child like Holiday Leave! :p
    No one's going to complain if they get to have sex all day instead of work, are they? :p
    stargalaxy wrote:

Probably not many, except as a skive off work.

The reason for that - lack of oxytocin. Women produce this chemical far more than men, that's why 'caring' duties naturally tend to be woman's domain.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    No one's going to complain if they get to have sex all day instead of work, are they? :p
    Yeah.. the idea came from a Russian joke:

A soldier requested a two-day leave, as he was to become a father in the near future. When he returned to the base one week later, a sergeant asked:
    - Was it a boy or girl?
    - I don't know yet. I'll let you know in about 9 months.

Top guy.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    So the women that work full-time, should suffer due to those who work part-time? Alot of women HAVE to work part-time, otherwise no-one is at home to care for, often as not, the Children. And when no-one raises them, they end up with little guidance or moral upbringing, often as not. Perhaps a state-creche? It is still seen as a Fathers role to go out and have the main job.

So, the women who work full-time, why are they paid less than full-time men?

i fail to see how companies get away with paying full time women doing same job, less than men

and perhaps if the legal rights for paternity were the same as maternity, then there might be more balance in terms of hours and pay
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I think, however, we can safley say from experience, Women make bad leaders of countries. :thumb:
    I don't think there have been enough instances of females leading countries to make this generalisation to be honest.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I don't think there have been enough instances of females leading countries to make this generalisation to be honest.
    Agreed on that one. The Phillipines has a female Prime Minister, for instance, if I remember it right. Germany has Angela Merkel, though it's too early to rate how she's done. Not enough women leaders for my liking!
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Agreed on that one. The Phillipines has a female Prime Minister, for instance,

And they recently tried to overthrow her in a popular coup with mass support! Even the Army turned on her with the public!

Angela Merkel? Well, I dislike her already, she's all for War with Iran. Another awr-mongering German Leader! Arrrgggg!!!!

I agree, there haven't been many Women Leaders to judge. But come on, there'd be loads of wars at "that time" of the month, wouldn't there? Sorry. But I must say, the Female Leaders there have been are crap! Perhaps Hilary Clinton can put in a good word for women?
    i fail to see how companies get away with paying full time women doing same job, less than men

and perhaps if the legal rights for paternity were the same as maternity, then there might be more balance in terms of hours and pay
    Of course both should have the same legal rights... Got any sources that say how they're different? I'm curious...
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Angela Merkel? Well, I dislike her already, she's all for War with Iran. Another awr-mongering German Leader! Arrrgggg!!!!
    Don't mention the war, Gerbil... :p
    Of course both should have the same legal rights... Got any sources that say how they're different? I'm curious...

legalrights to maternity and paternity leave are different i think its unpaid for men and paid for women, and womens is longer, paternity leave was only just introduced

and i really reckon it would help a lot in getting women better treatment at work as a side thing of allowing families more flexibility
    The maternity issue would hold a little more water if child-free women were paid as much as their male colleagues.

But there are many women in the workforce today who remain childless for their entire working life and they still get paid less than men.

That ain't right.

Not that women who have children deserve to be paid less of course.
    Aladdin wrote:
    The maternity issue would hold a little more water if child-free women were paid as much as their male colleagues.

But there are many women in the workforce today who remain childless for their entire working life and they still get paid less than men.

That ain't right.

Not that women who have children deserve to be paid less of course.

Are you talking about less pay for the exact same work or a collective varience?
    A bit of both I should imagine
    legalrights to maternity and paternity leave are different i think its unpaid for men and paid for women, and womens is longer, paternity leave was only just introduced

and i really reckon it would help a lot in getting women better treatment at work as a side thing of allowing families more flexibility

Sorry, I asked for a source, not an opinion.
    Sorry, I asked for a source, not an opinion.

im working on it, and i dont wanna provide the act of parliament itself :eek:

here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/onelife/work/rights/eq_parent.shtml
    Since the law changed in 2003, women are entitled to 26 weeks’ ordinary maternity leave - it doesn't matter how long they've worked for their employer.
    Ordinary maternity leave is normally paid leave.
    Women who've completed 26 weeks’ continuous employment by the beginning of the 14th week before the expected week of childbirth are entitled to 26 weeks' additional maternity leave.
    Additional maternity leave begins at the end of ordinary maternity leave.
    The contract of employment continues during the maternity leave.
    Both parents can take 13 weeks unpaid parental leave until the child's fifth birthday but you do need to have been at the company for a year to qualify.
    Dads may have to show their employer that they've been officially registered as the child's father.
    Expectant fathers can get two weeks' statutory paid paternity leave

ah ha different! 2 weeks paid paternity leave for guys and 13 weeks unpaid to cover 1st 5 years of babys life, and up to almost 6months paid, and a possible additonal 6months unpaid on top of that for women